Mediterranean Diet

Options

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What a fun idea! I just made this last week, and it was fabulous. I didn't use stewed tomatoes, I just used a can of whole peeled tomatoes since I already had them on hand. I added more kale than the recipe called for and used butternut, not pumpkin.

https://simple-veganista.com/moroccan-pumpkin-chickpea-stew/

I like the sound of that sans cinnamon. I am always looking for new vegan/vegetarian dishes for my meatless days.

Cinnamon is part of the Moroccan spice flavor profile, but if you have an allergy or just flat out hate it, just leave it out. It's not really the most prevalent taste in the dish. If you just don't like it, you could always cut the amount and let it fade more into the background but still do its work as part of the flavor base.

My SIL can eat nutmeg but can't tolerate cinnamon...would that be an acceptable replacement?
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What a fun idea! I just made this last week, and it was fabulous. I didn't use stewed tomatoes, I just used a can of whole peeled tomatoes since I already had them on hand. I added more kale than the recipe called for and used butternut, not pumpkin.

I like the sound of that sans cinnamon. I am always looking for new vegan/vegetarian dishes for my meatless days.

Cinnamon is part of the Moroccan spice flavor profile, but if you have an allergy or just flat out hate it, just leave it out. It's not really the most prevalent taste in the dish. If you just don't like it, you could always cut the amount and let it fade more into the background but still do its work as part of the flavor base.

My SIL can eat nutmeg but can't tolerate cinnamon...would that be an acceptable replacement?

Nutmeg is a lot stronger. If you use it, will need considerably less.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I think nutmeg isn't quite right. I'd just do without it.

Edit: I thought of one you could possibly try that might work! Cardamom. Try maybe half to 3/4 the amount.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Morocco and some regions of Africa favor cinnamon in their dishes. I am not a fan in savory dishes and I only like it sparingly in sweet dishes. All recipes are just suggestions to me anyway unless it is a baked good that requires certain chemistry. I won't be adding the raisins either.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

Edit: I thought of one you could possibly try that might work! Cardamom. Try maybe half to 3/4 the amount.

Another vote for cardamom. It's in my Berbere spice mix, and Ethiopia is just the Red Sea away from the Med.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Morocco and some regions of Africa favor cinnamon in their dishes. I am not a fan in savory dishes and I only like it sparingly in sweet dishes. All recipes are just suggestions to me anyway unless it is a baked good that requires certain chemistry. I won't be adding the raisins either.

Try the cardamom. It's got a different flavor and will add a bright note to balance the heat of the pepper flakes.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Good idea. It's a lot stronger so unless a confirmed cardamom person I'd do 1/2.

Aside: I'm super obsessed with cardamom in tea or ice cream.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Good idea. It's a lot stronger so unless a confirmed cardamom person I'd do 1/2.

Dang. Now (by getting too close) you made me want Rasmalai. And I can't have it on a Med thread. ;););)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Allspice in lieu of cinnamon.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    I think the strong clove note in allspice would be wrong for the dish.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Happy to find this thread. I started this style of eating nearly a week ago. Would love to see some examples of people's typical days to get some more ideas. I have been eating plain Greek yogurt with berries, or eggs with spinach and a little cheese for breakfasts, white bean salads for lunches, quinoa and cod filets for dinner with fresh veggies at every meal and for my mid-morning snack (as well as 2-3 pieces of fruit a day).
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bought some awesome morrocan chicken at costco today. Very delicious, very filling. Healthy too. It's a premade dish if anyone wants to try it. However, if you are sensitive to spice, stay away.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    teranga79 wrote: »
    As for the above, it's not a question of one being healthier because it was cooked in the Mediterranean. If the Indian woman presented the dish to her family saying "Look what I made today, a Mediterranean specialty!" Her family would think she was nuts. Indians are proud of their dishes and should be. As the Moroccan wife would not present her dish as an Indian specialty. Ingredients can be similar in different parts of the world, but they are cooked differently--especially different fats. The Med dish would have surely used olive oil, would the Indian dish have done the same?

And most importantly.... where are the cooking husbands??

I prefer that he stay out until it's time for him to do the dinner dishes :smiley:

And if he wants the potatoes to be peeled, he's free to do that :lol:

Same here. Although he does like to watch me cook and asks questions. It’s cute.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I want Moroccan bastilla so badly after reading this thread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

@lemurcat2 I am a confirmed cardamom person and made these a few weeks ago - YUM! I believe I doubled the cardamom.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2010/04/cook-s-illustrated-chai-spice-sugar-cookies.html
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Cardamom is great in bread too. Finnlanders have a bread called pulla where cardamom is a key ingredient.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Any diet that has a calorie deficit will cause weight loss. I avoid chips, bread, cookies,ice cream etc. I focus on fresh fruits, vegetables, healthy proteins and fats instead. It's all about burning more calories then you consume. :) Best wishes!

Impossible when there’s a world full of yummy food. Lol!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I typically get 50-70 grams of fiber daily on a plant based diet. Berries, squash, sweet potatoes, beans, bread, oatmeal and leafy greens.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    OP- easy to get 50+ grams of fiber on the med WOE. The center of all meals should be leafy green and non starchy veg. Add in beans, rice, potatoes and lots of fruit. Then add meat/fish/eggs as a condiment. Depending on your calorie goal, keep nuts, oils, avocado, seeds and wine to a minimum.

Why keep those things to a "minimum"? They are important, since fat aids in the absorption of certain micronutrients in vegetables.

I agree not to go crazy with them because they're calorie dense, but people should also meet a minimal daily intake of them for optimal hormonal health. IIRC, that's at least .35-.45 g per pound of healthy body weight. You should probably aim for a bit more than that if some of the fat you're eating is in nuts since not all of that gets absorbed.

I know that I personally used to eat too little fat and I had terrible skin problems because if it.

That’s actually what I meant. If weight loss is a goal, don’t go nuts with nuts, but butters or avocados as they are very calorie dense.

I’m in several groups where people go plant based with counting calories and wonder why they don’t lose weight. It’s invariably the fats (incl olive oil). But agree they are important.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    OP- easy to get 50+ grams of fiber on the med WOE. The center of all meals should be leafy green and non starchy veg. Add in beans, rice, potatoes and lots of fruit. Then add meat/fish/eggs as a condiment. Depending on your calorie goal, keep nuts, oils, avocado, seeds and wine to a minimum.

Why keep those things to a "minimum"? They are important, since fat aids in the absorption of certain micronutrients in vegetables.

I agree not to go crazy with them because they're calorie dense, but people should also meet a minimal daily intake of them for optimal hormonal health. IIRC, that's at least .35-.45 g per pound of healthy body weight. You should probably aim for a bit more than that if some of the fat you're eating is in nuts since not all of that gets absorbed.

I know that I personally used to eat too little fat and I had terrible skin problems because if it.

That’s actually what I meant. If weight loss is a goal, don’t go nuts with nuts, but butters or avocados as they are very calorie dense.

I’m in several groups where people go plant based with counting calories and wonder why they don’t lose weight. It’s invariably the fats (incl olive oil). But agree they are important.

Ah, sorry for misinterpreting what you were saying. This is such a hard way to communicate sometimes!