Mediterranean Diet

Options
123457»

Replies

• Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nearing the end of Week 2 and I've found myself eating more vegetarian than anything else, haha.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    merekins wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Whenever I'm Googling recipes, I zero in on a particular ingredient plus cuisine type and go from there. So something like "Italian chickpea recipes" or "Greek fish recipes" might yield you results.
    Am trying that with pomegranate syrup. Have turkish recipe for stuffed peppers that used in as a finishing sauce and trying to find other ways to use the bottle up. Lol

Local place makes fried brussels sprouts with pomegranate seeds and soft goat cheese: Delicious. Maybe roasted brussels sprouts (if you like them) would be good dressed with the syrup & also goat cheese (if you like that, too)?

Omg. YES!!! That sounds amazing!!!

@AnnPT77 making the brussel sprouts tonight with mahi mahi. Ready to eat now. Lol
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    You all might be interested in the DASH diet thread too. There are similarities. A couple of us are talking about what we are doing in there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm Googling recipes, I zero in on a particular ingredient plus cuisine type and go from there. So something like "Italian chickpea recipes" or "Greek fish recipes" might yield you results.
    Am trying that with pomegranate syrup. Have turkish recipe for stuffed peppers that used in as a finishing sauce and trying to find other ways to use the bottle up. Lol

Local place makes fried brussels sprouts with pomegranate seeds and soft goat cheese: Delicious. Maybe roasted brussels sprouts (if you like them) would be good dressed with the syrup & also goat cheese (if you like that, too)?

@AnnPT77 making the brussel sprouts tonight with mahi mahi. Ready to eat now. Lol

Report back, OK? I'm wondering if I should be investigating pomegranate syrup. :)
  • merekins
    Options

Report back, OK? I'm wondering if I should be investigating pomegranate syrup. :)

Will do! I originally used it finish peppers stuffed with mushroom, tomatoes, and walnuts. Was delicious but need more uses for it. Going to try it on beef next.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

If it's the same as pomegranate molasses, it's really not hard to make your own. To end up with roughly 3/4 cup, combine 2 cups of pomegranate juice, 1/3 cup of sugar in a large saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat just enough to maintain a simmer and cook until the juice thickens and reduces to less than a cup. Stir in 2 tbsp lemon juice and pour into a jar/container with a tight-fitting lid. Let it cool uncovered, then store in the fridge tightly-covered. It keeps a few days. (Source: 1,000 Vegan Recipes.)
  • merekins
    Options
    @AnnPT77 the Pom was delicious on the Brussel sprouts. The kids loved it too. Was a great way to use it but wouldn’t recommend buying just for that. Think you could achieve similar with balsamic glaze. Going to it will red pepper/walnut dip and beef. Will report back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 the Pom was delicious on the Brussel sprouts. The kids loved it too. Was a great way to use it but wouldn’t recommend buying just for that. Think you could achieve similar with balsamic glaze. Going to it will red pepper/walnut dip and beef. Will report back.

Thanks!

I may try @estherdragonbat's DIY approach if I see a good price on pomegranates sometime (I know she said juice, not whole fruit :smile: - I'm weird like that. ).

I do use balsamic (glaze & just vinegar) or other home-made vinaigrettes and different vinegar types, citrus and such on brussels sprouts and other veggies. Whole lotta veggies happening at my house, so I vary the add-ons for fun.

Appreciate the feedback, glad it worked: The food truck brussels sprouts version I mentioned with whole seeds and goat cheese is nearly irresistable!