Use of 'Woo' reaction - negative reactions?

alexhayg
alexhayg Posts: 96 Member
edited January 2019 in Motivation and Support
It is really unclear how people are using the 'woo' reaction in the community? How would you use it? Positive or negative?

Replies

• alexhayg
    I edited this to find out how people use the reaction, rather than assume it is a negative.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    A lot of people, particularly those who are new to the boards, will use "woo" to mean "woohoo." Might that be the situation here?

Congratulations on your weight loss!
  • alexhayg
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Without seeing the context of the post it's hard to say, but remember some people use the 'woo' reaction as 'woo hoo!' My advice: ignore it completely, or use it as a source of amusement.

It was on the 5lbs January weight loss challenge. I posted my weekly update and stated that I lost 4lbs since last Sunday.

Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    You really can't let woos get to you- many here don't even know what they mean and think it's "woo-hoo!", like cheering. A few use it just to be a jerk, honestly.

If you get a large number on a particular post, it is likely you have said something that isn't backed by science or is otherwise misleading to the community. Hopefully, at least one of the people that "woo" you will offer an explanation as to the issue with the post. Don't let it discourage you, but use it as an opportunity to learn and maybe look at the situation more objectively. I suspect because of your comments that you may have posted about eating under the recommended calorie goal, which, regardless of how healthy the food is or how a person feels, is simply not healthy. Our bodies require quality and quantity.

Edited to add: I responded to the unedited version of the OP.
  • try2again
    Oh, and to answer your question, I don't use it, because not enough people know what it means ;)
  • try2again
    edited January 2019

Even the official definition is ambiguous. Some think "too good to be true" is a good thing, like "Wow!"
  • alexhayg
    We don't have much hope do we :D Oh well, I will take the general advice and not read too much into. Life lesson to focus on my own success instead of looking for confirmation from other people!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    alexhayg wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Without seeing the context of the post it's hard to say, but remember some people use the 'woo' reaction as 'woo hoo!' My advice: ignore it completely, or use it as a source of amusement.

It was on the 5lbs January weight loss challenge. I posted my weekly update and stated that I lost 4lbs since last Sunday.

Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated :)

Likely reason for getting negatively woo-d is because 4lbs a week is a huge loss. BUT considering you probably also just started, and most initial big losses are water weight as well as fat weight it's probably not anything worrisome :smile: I think woos happen as sort of a knee-jerk reaction to posts like that, honestly.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    If you hover your mouse over it, the code at the bottom of the screen says "WTF". That should answer your question...

I never noticed that, that's beautiful.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    I accidentally woo when scrolling on my phone, it's just in the wrong place sometimes I do correct it when I notice though.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2019
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    I accidentally woo when scrolling on my phone, it's just in the wrong place sometimes I do correct it when I notice though.

I do too! I'm constantly undoing accidental woos and hugs on my phone, when I catch them :blush:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you hover your mouse over it, the code at the bottom of the screen says "WTF". That should answer your question...

I never noticed that, that's beautiful.

Agreed :bigsmile:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    I vote that they remove the woo button completely and replace it with this.

b0vgx6mk67x1.png

:laugh: