Use of 'Woo' reaction - negative reactions?

Options

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The icon is frowning and eyes are spinning from the crazy.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i use it as the website has stated it to be used. woo=bad
    bad science
    too good to be true.
    magic beans
  • alexhayg
    alexhayg Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    alexhayg wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Without seeing the context of the post it's hard to say, but remember some people use the 'woo' reaction as 'woo hoo!' My advice: ignore it completely, or use it as a source of amusement.

It was on the 5lbs January weight loss challenge. I posted my weekly update and stated that I lost 4lbs since last Sunday.

Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated :)

Likely reason for getting negatively woo-d is because 4lbs a week is a huge loss. BUT considering you probably also just started, and most initial big losses are water weight as well as fat weight it's probably not anything worrisome :smile: I think woos happen as sort of a knee-jerk reaction to posts like that, honestly.

I thought that myself but would never judge someone else unless I knew the facts. I couldn't starve myself (just not built that way 😂). I just don't think people realise how much their reactions affect people. It put me right off posting tbh.

You guys are cool though, you can stay 👍
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Without seeing the context of the post it's hard to say, but remember some people use the 'woo' reaction as 'woo hoo!' My advice: ignore it completely, or use it as a source of amusement.

It was on the 5lbs January weight loss challenge. I posted my weekly update and stated that I lost 4lbs since last Sunday.

Likely reason for getting negatively woo-d is because 4lbs a week is a huge loss. BUT considering you probably also just started, and most initial big losses are water weight as well as fat weight it's probably not anything worrisome :smile: I think woos happen as sort of a knee-jerk reaction to posts like that, honestly.

I thought that myself but would never judge someone else unless I knew the facts. I couldn't starve myself (just not built that way 😂). I just don't think people realise how much their reactions affect people. It put me right off posting tbh.

Ugh I’m sorry that happened to you. I agree that it can sometimes be a knee-jerk reaction, too. The focus here really seems to be on losing weight slowly and carefully, but a lot of people see big losses the first week or so. Hopefully if people do hit “woo,” they actually explain WHY. In your case, it doesn’t sound like it was warranted at all.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    A lot of people, particularly those who are new to the boards, will use "woo" to mean "woohoo." Might that be the situation here?

Congratulations on your weight loss!

This was me when I first reached to comments. I was wooing everything I thought was great!
    They did change the emoji for it a while back to help define the meaning. The old emoji looked like a big smile
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Wait! “Woo” doesn’t mean “Woo Hoo!”?????? Uh oh... pressed a lot of woo buttons to show how much I liked the post/ or so I thought! Yikes.

I was wondering why that icon had a weird smirky face!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It makes me not want to use these forums AT ALL, to be honest. I was very active with thousands of posts before they added the reaction features and since then I maybe have just a couple hundred posts in the past few years. I have experienced people "wooing" ANY thing I post - for example sharing concrete, helpful tips, or just telling a silly story. I hate it. If you were able to see who is selecting "woo" it would help in my opinion as I'd block abusers of this stupid, unnecessary feature.

I think the people honestly saying "oh I thought it meant woo hoo" are very rare.

And. Commence "woo" punching, I guess.

Blocking people wouldn't stop the woos. You can ignore people now, but unless they ignore you, they can still comment on your post.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it really means "bad science". It seems more a matter of "My favorite nutrition/diet/exercise study says something different than your favorite study." MFP is a place where people have very strong opinions about what is science and what is internet fluff, and the woo button button is a shortcut to expressing them. I think people would do better to just ignore things instead of wooing, though

That said, I wish there was a woo-hoo button. It would be more enthusiastic than pressing "inspiring", and the hug button seems like it's there for comforting others. "Like" is really bland.
  • alexhayg
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    It would be a lot easier to understand if they changed it from woo to boo.

Agreed
  • alexhayg
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Maybe it would help to see how stupid some of these woo's are.

I got one for:
    I don't drink coffee, but that's because even the smell of it nauseates me. I do drink other beverages with caffeine (tea and diet colas).

Does someone question that I get nauseated by the smell of coffee? Or am I lying about drinking tea and diet cola?

There is no point in taking them seriously. I figure if someone is serious about questioning my post, they will actually question it.

ETA: And I doubt it's a woo-hoo, because who would woo-hoo nausea?

:D I got booed (or rather got a comment so I assumed that's why this person booed it) because I suggested that 300 cals of veg would be better for you than 300cals of cookies. How dare I state that vegetables are good for you! :D