Use of 'Woo' reaction - negative reactions?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    alexhayg wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Without seeing the context of the post it's hard to say, but remember some people use the 'woo' reaction as 'woo hoo!' My advice: ignore it completely, or use it as a source of amusement.

It was on the 5lbs January weight loss challenge. I posted my weekly update and stated that I lost 4lbs since last Sunday.

Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated :)

Likely reason for getting negatively woo-d is because 4lbs a week is a huge loss. BUT considering you probably also just started, and most initial big losses are water weight as well as fat weight it's probably not anything worrisome :smile: I think woos happen as sort of a knee-jerk reaction to posts like that, honestly.

I thought that myself but would never judge someone else unless I knew the facts. I couldn't starve myself (just not built that way 😂). I just don't think people realise how much their reactions affect people. It put me right off posting tbh.

You guys are cool though, you can stay 👍

Maybe it would help to see how stupid some of these woo's are.

I got one for:
    I don't drink coffee, but that's because even the smell of it nauseates me. I do drink other beverages with caffeine (tea and diet colas).

Does someone question that I get nauseated by the smell of coffee? Or am I lying about drinking tea and diet cola?

There is no point in taking them seriously. I figure if someone is serious about questioning my post, they will actually question it.

ETA: And I doubt it's a woo-hoo, because who would woo-hoo nausea?

:D I got booed (or rather got a comment so I assumed that's why this person booed it) because I suggested that 300 cals of veg would be better for you than 300cals of cookies. How dare I state that vegetables are good for you! :D

In that case, it may have been “disagree” rather than “not true.” Personally, on most days I’d take the 300 calorie cookie over 300 calories of vegetables. Without being too graphic, 300 calories of vegetables would give me some serious bathroom issues. So I’ll have a 300 calorie cookie and maybe 25 calories of broccoli. 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, if you post an opinion about a food (including in the unpopular food opinions) it will usually get woo'd, I think in good fun.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Without seeing the context of the post it's hard to say, but remember some people use the 'woo' reaction as 'woo hoo!' My advice: ignore it completely, or use it as a source of amusement.

It was on the 5lbs January weight loss challenge. I posted my weekly update and stated that I lost 4lbs since last Sunday.

Likely reason for getting negatively woo-d is because 4lbs a week is a huge loss. BUT considering you probably also just started, and most initial big losses are water weight as well as fat weight it's probably not anything worrisome :smile: I think woos happen as sort of a knee-jerk reaction to posts like that, honestly.

I thought that myself but would never judge someone else unless I knew the facts. I couldn't starve myself (just not built that way 😂). I just don't think people realise how much their reactions affect people. It put me right off posting tbh.

I got one for:
    I don't drink coffee, but that's because even the smell of it nauseates me. I do drink other beverages with caffeine (tea and diet colas).

Does someone question that I get nauseated by the smell of coffee? Or am I lying about drinking tea and diet cola?

There is no point in taking them seriously. I figure if someone is serious about questioning my post, they will actually question it.

:D I got booed (or rather got a comment so I assumed that's why this person booed it) because I suggested that 300 cals of veg would be better for you than 300cals of cookies. How dare I state that vegetables are good for you! :D

Depends on the context. If you were implying that people shouldn't have cookies as part of an overall healthy diet, that will get wooed. Or if you were suggesting that 300 calories of vegetables is better for weight loss than 300 calories of cookies. Everyone knows that vegetables have more nutrition than cookies, but a calorie is a calorie.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make, it is a fact that vegetables are going to be better for you than cookies. Fresh food trumps processed food every day of the week. I am all for balance and my diet is by no means perfect and am certainly not a nutritionist or doctor and don't claim to be, however..... a calorie is a calorie yes, but not all calories are created equal...

Imagine a day full of food like this - Mcdonalds Breakfast 400cals, Greggs Pasty and cookie, 600cals, Pot Noodle 400 cals. total cals 1400calories

or this: Porridge with banana and honey 350cals, chicken salad with couscous and dressing/sauce 400cals, Homemade spaghetti bolagnese 500cals, snacks - yogurt 100cal, fruit 50cals total cals 1400

I know which one I would be going for. That was kind of the point I was trying to get to. Obviously it is difficult to put that across without a massive essay.

The reason you'll get woo'd is the bolded. Change that statement to "a calorie is a calorie, but not all foods are created equal" and you won't. A calorie is a unit of energy. It doesn't change from food to food. It is always a unit of energy.

Isn't that basically what I said? I am saying you can have 400 calories of Mcdonalds or 400 cals of a homemade meal. They are both equal to the same amount of energy, however one is better for you than the other.

but we can agree to disagree :)

Again, it depends on context. If you were implying that a person can never eat at McDonalds to lose weight, or that a healthy diet can't include eating at McDonalds, that would be woo-worthy.

Way to bring it back around to the thread, @try2again! ;)
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    I vote that they remove the woo button completely and replace it with this.

b0vgx6mk67x1.png

:smiley:
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Why not a simple thumbs down next to the thumbs up? There are some awfully helpful posts that have been "wooed". It's not helpful at all to do that and not leave a comment stating why.

It's MFP's official position that they don't want an overtly negative response option. (Even though "woo" often creates more negativity, IMO.)

Ah OK. Thanks
  • alexhayg
    alexhayg Posts: 96 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I got one for:

Depends on the context. If you were implying that people shouldn't have cookies as part of an overall healthy diet, that will get wooed. Or if you were suggesting that 300 calories of vegetables is better for weight loss than 300 calories of cookies. Everyone knows that vegetables have more nutrition than cookies, but a calorie is a calorie.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make, it is a fact that vegetables are going to be better for you than cookies. Fresh food trumps processed food every day of the week. I am all for balance and my diet is by no means perfect and am certainly not a nutritionist or doctor and don't claim to be, however..... a calorie is a calorie yes, but not all calories are created equal...

Imagine a day full of food like this - Mcdonalds Breakfast 400cals, Greggs Pasty and cookie, 600cals, Pot Noodle 400 cals. total cals 1400calories

or this: Porridge with banana and honey 350cals, chicken salad with couscous and dressing/sauce 400cals, Homemade spaghetti bolagnese 500cals, snacks - yogurt 100cal, fruit 50cals total cals 1400

I know which one I would be going for. That was kind of the point I was trying to get to. Obviously it is difficult to put that across without a massive essay.

I think most successful people here fall somewhere between those 2 WOE, though, and to suggest that you can’t waver from option 2 has caused many a member to fall off the wagon. I haven’t been here nearly as long as some other folks, but you do see a lot of newbies thinking they have to eat nothing but lean protein and veggies or they won’t lose weight, when the fact is, as long as you eat in a calorie deficit, no matter what the food itself is, you’ll lose weight. This is also what people mean when they talk about it being a lifestyle. I need more variety in my diet. I’m going to eat the same way while I’m losing weight as I plan to eat when I’m at maintenance. There are no “good” or “bad” foods in isolation.

I 100% agree. Like I say I have balance in my diet and never deny myself any cravings. I drink beer on a weekend, I go out for meals with my boyfriend and have ice cream and chocolate. Within my calories (most of the time :D ).

I think my point has just been taken to an extreme and people think (maybe quite rightly if it has come across badly but personally I think we are leaping a little bit) that I am trying to say that is all you can eat. Rather than what I was tying to say of 'try and make a healthier choice'.

I know people are going to disagree with me again about what is a 'healthier choice' but I don't think my opinion will be much changed from fresh food > processed food, so the more fresh we can have, the better. In my opinion.

What I am taking away from this is...... we are here to express support and our opinions in order to help one another. As long as you are not suggesting unhealthy options like major restrictions to calories or extreme 'fad' diets then an opinion is an opinion. Take it or leave it to use in your own life.
  • alexhayg
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I got one for:

If you post like this then don't be surprised to get disagreement and woos!

Would you like some examples in the context of a person's overall diet a cookie is indeed better for them at that time? Come for a multi hour cycle ride with me and let me know if a salad or some high energy and easy digest food hits the spot to fuel that ride.

Processed food includes a huge amount of extremely nutritionally valuable food. Some food is more nutritious when processed than when not. Try chewing on some unprocessed wheat...
    There's very little food outside of raw vegetables and fruits that isn't processed in some way. It's naïve to think processed = bad.

All calories are indeed equal - a calorie is a unit of energy not of nutrition.

How about imagining a day when someone eats a nutritionally complete diet made up of whatever foods meet your personal approval and still has space for some treats and gets enjoyment from those treats?
    Which approach do you think might be more sustainable not just for weight loss but for the rest of their lives?

Again, I totally agree, but my point is being taken to the extremes again.

Yeah, as I put in my previous comment, people are taking what I said to mean that no one can ever eat a cookie again in their life, which is not what I was saying.

I am going to stop defending my point now because I don't feel like what I said was extreme in anyway (my apologies if anyone took it that way, I tried very hard to put my opinion across in a way it wouldn't be misconstrued but I have obviously not done a very good job of that).

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I got one for:

Would you like some examples in the context of a person's overall diet a cookie is indeed better for them at that time? Come for a multi hour cycle ride with me and let me know if a salad or some high energy and easy digest food hits the spot to fuel that ride.

Processed food includes a huge amount of extremely nutritionally valuable food. Some food is more nutritious when processed than when not. Try chewing on some unprocessed wheat...
    There's very little food outside of raw vegetables and fruits that isn't processed in some way. It's naïve to think processed = bad.

How about imagining a day when someone eats a nutritionally complete diet made up of whatever foods meet your personal approval and still has space for some treats and gets enjoyment from those treats?
    Which approach do you think might be more sustainable not just for weight loss but for the rest of their lives?

Yeah, as I put in my previous comment, people are taking what I said to mean that no one can ever eat a cookie again in their life, which is not what I was saying.

I am going to stop defending my point now because I don't feel like what I said was extreme in anyway (my apologies if anyone took it that way, I tried very hard to put my opinion across in a way it wouldn't be misconstrued but I have obviously not done a very good job of that).

I think the bigger point is that one or two woos means nothing much, so don't worry about it. Sometimes people don't read that carefully and jump to conclusions. One common tactic in the "a calorie is not a calorie" debate is to mix up "food" and "calorie" and to pose a somewhat ridiculous hypothetical such as "what if you eat equal calories of donuts vs. a balanced diet with protein and veg and healthy sources of fat, is that the same?" Since clearly no one (or very few) would even think to eat only donuts, and no one recommends ignoring nutrition, people see that kind of argument as strawmanning, so it might be something that gets woo'd (not by me, I'd just respond).

But for a broader discussion of the nutrition/calorie thing, probably better for another thread -- there's a good one or two available in Debate if interested.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I got one for:

People can only form an opinion on what you type - they can't be expected to know if what you actually think is different from the words on their screen.

Maybe avoid universal or absolute statements?
    Avoiding the use of strawmen arguments like people eating their entire diet in convenience foods to try and show why broccoli is better than cookies might be a good idea too? (In reality they are just different foods rather than good or bad).

What I think you mean isn't extreme but what you actually wrote wasn't well thought through - sorry!
  • alexhayg
    Options

I got one for:

The reason you'll get woo'd is the bolded. Change that statement to "a calorie is a calorie, but not all foods are created equal" and you won't. A calorie is a unit of energy. It doesn't change from food to food. It is always a unit of energy.

Isn't that basically what I said? I am saying you can have 400 calories of Mcdonalds or 400 cals of a homemade meal. They are both equal to the same amount of energy, however one is better for you than the other.

but we can agree to disagree :)

Again, it depends on context. If you were implying that a person can never eat at McDonalds to lose weight, or that a healthy diet can't include eating at McDonalds, that would be woo-worthy.

You are quite right. It does depend on context. So to be clear... no I am not saying that you can never lose weight if you eat a McDonalds sometimes.