When did you “officially proclaim” you were in maintenance?

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Again, thanks for all the “pearls of wisdom” sharing comments. I’ll be in good maintenance company here.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Maintenance has been very fluid for me, and while I consider myself in maintenance for almost 6 years now, my weight has fluctuated 15ish pounds throughout that based on the seasons, different goals etc. I started labeling myself in maintenance about a month after I hit my initial weight goal.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Never. I just don't think in those terms. It's an always ongoing thing. I put way more emphasis on how i feel and how i look and most importantly, how I perform functionally and in my workouts and not so much on the number on the scale. 67 and still progressing. Slower than when i was younger but... That is what matters to me and not arbitrary things like "maintenance" or not.

It sounds like the opposite, but another way to look at that is in next sentence - "always". At the time you decide to maintain your health at an optimum level, you take steps to get to it if you aren't there or stay there if you are. Philosophically, I like that answer better than mine. Psychologically, I needed a goal to work toward that was more concrete and measurable.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Never have... I will always be in some kind of flux.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Once I achieved my goal weight.

This is a matter of establishing behaviors and this process never stops. I knew I would experience a gain after the initial loss, which I did, and took the opportunity to observe my behaviors and establish new habits and behaviors in transitioning from deficit to maintenance. Much of this was through athletic competition, in which an ideal weight is necessary to be competitive and becomes a secondary issue.
  • tonyfastz06
    tonyfastz06 Posts: 35 Member
    i graduated from "weight loss" to achieving the best possible natural physique possible for a 46 year old... LOL I doubt that will ever get me to "maintenance" but it sure would be a fun journey. Plus, i love it when the young kids look at me at the gym and are like... WTF LOL Enjoy the process!!!
  • CarvedTones
    i graduated from "weight loss" to achieving the best possible natural physique possible for a 46 year old... LOL I doubt that will ever get me to "maintenance" but it sure would be a fun journey. Plus, i love it when the young kids look at me at the gym and are like... WTF LOL Enjoy the process!!!

46? I wish I had started getting serious about my health that young. Lots of healthy geezers where I go. I am 60 with visible abs and don't stand out.
  • tonyfastz06

46? I wish I had started getting serious about my health that young. Lots of healthy geezers where I go. I am 60 with visible abs and don't stand out.

LMAO All in perspective i suppose! Regardless, visible abs at 60? You're my hero!!!
  • tonyfastz06
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

LMAO All in perspective i suppose! Regardless, visible abs at 60? You're my hero!!!

But I really wish I had started sooner. Late 50s I didn't look so good...

ee6xwjk80zda.jpg

You've done some great work, Carvedtones . . .

. . . even so, I have to say I think that 46-year-old "kids" sometimes have mistaken ideas about aging. There are quite a few strong, fit oldies where I hang out, too - 70+, 80+ - and I keep aspiring (at 63, after starting to be active at . . . hmm, around 46).

;)

@CarvedTones truly great accomplishment to not only get there, but to maintain it! Seriously good for you!!

I've considered prepping and attending a natural bodybuilding show however with a full time job, a stay at home wife, 3 kids and a 97lb dog, i just can't make that commitment. I am however pretty proud myself of what i've achieved so far with the end game just a few short 10-12 weeks away!!!
  • CarvedTones
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

But I really wish I had started sooner. Late 50s I didn't look so good...

ee6xwjk80zda.jpg

You've done some great work, Carvedtones . . .

. . . even so, I have to say I think that 46-year-old "kids" sometimes have mistaken ideas about aging. There are quite a few strong, fit oldies where I hang out, too - 70+, 80+ - and I keep aspiring (at 63, after starting to be active at . . . hmm, around 46).

;)

@CarvedTones truly great accomplishment to not only get there, but to maintain it! Seriously good for you!!

I've considered prepping and attending a natural bodybuilding show however with a full time job, a stay at home wife, 3 kids and a 97lb dog, i just can't make that commitment. I am however pretty proud myself of what i've achieved so far with the end game just a few short 10-12 weeks away!!!

Bodybuilding show? You are at a whole different level. Fit and trim is all I am after. I built up my chest and shoulders a bit since that picture, but not to any kind of competitive level. That's not what I am after.

On topic, I think that weight maintenance, when you eat what you burn, is just one aspect for most of us.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I started maintenance the day I passed my goal number on the scale. I don't know what day I actually reached that weight, though. It was at the end of a cross-country move, so I'd spent a week sitting in the car doing no exercise, eating a lot of fruit and protein bars, and hadn't had access to a scale. The first day I weighed myself at our new place, I was at my goal weight. I lost a little more before settling into maintenance, so I'm now usually about two pounds below my original goal.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    I called maintenance after losing 50ish pounds and my husband complained I was hangry at 1200 calories. Having had trouble figuring out maintenance, I lost another 20 over the next few months. As it turns out, that is where I have stayed for the last 3+ years. Whatever works for you is where you should be.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 944 Member
    3 more holiday pounds to shed! :)