Over 50-need to lose 30 lbs. and can’t lose 1

Options
This is my second time using MyFitness Pal. According to it, I should have lost weight. I never lose a pound . My husband says if I want to lose I must cut all sugar and carbs for 6 months. I know I don’t have the will power to do that.😥

Replies

• longkathleenann9291
    longkathleenann9291 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I’m 54 and have lost 41lbs with another 20 to go. Sorry but your husband is wrong. You just need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. That deficit can include carbs and sugar. Send me a friend request, my diary is open to friends. I eat lower carb and surgar, but have not eliminated them.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?

How long have you been at it? There’s a significant calorie counting learning curve. Keep trying.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Measure and weigh every BLT ( bite , lick and taste) that goes in your mouth and walk as much as you can! Make small changes at first so you don’t get overwhelmed! And make supportive friends who don’t judge! Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    Good news: Your husband is wrong. I lost around 50 pounds at age 59-60 without cutting out all sugar and carbs. You can, too.

But clearly, you're struggling. Usually, problems have to do with underestimating food, overestimating exercise, or both.

If you haven't read it yet, this thread would be a good start:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Others in the "most helpful posts" area of each forum topic are also really useful. I'd start with the ones in the "Getting Started" topic, here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads

. . . then the ones in "General Health, Fitness and Diet" topic, here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads

There's gold in those posts!

Best wishes!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    This is my second time using MyFitness Pal. According to it, I should have lost weight. I never lose a pound . My husband says if I want to lose I must cut all sugar and carbs for 6 months. I know I don’t have the will power to do that.😥

What have you been doing so far?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I'm 53. I lost almost 30 pounds. I eat anything I want but stay within 1200-1500 calories.
    I try to go to the gym or walk 30 minutes 3 times a week, but over the holidays I didn't have much time for exercise so I just ate within my range and I didn't gain anything.

If you're not losing, you're eating more than you think you are. A little food scale would probably help a lot. Most people can't properly estimate portion sizes.