Will you ever get used to healthy eating?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    My view on “healthy foods “ are anything that’s involve less calories aka vegetables and unseasoned steamed this and that kinda food . What I consider unhealthy is that pizza , mcd , Kfc and lots of carbs. Before I jumped into this diet I could eat 2 box of regular dominos pizza in one seating . I’m really afraid of going back to even trying pizza cause I know it’s going to be hard for me to control .

I'd work on changing your mindset. Even though I eat a very 'healthy' diet, I don't consider pizza, fast food etc 'bad'. Labeling food leads to frustration, guilt and failure. There's nothing wrong with eating the foods you like, you just need to learn how to fit them into your calorie targets.

Also, as you progress you may become interested in slowly adding nutrient dense foods but don't force it. I've been at this whole thing for around 7 years now and how I started out eating is completely different than how I eat today. But it's been a slow, natural progression. If I had tried making a bunch of drastic changes at the beginning I would have failed.

Interesting sidenote-during my active weight loss phase I ate fast food several times a week, ate no fruit, very few veggies, all sorts of packaged 'diet' foods etc. Lost 50lbs and improved all my health markers.

Woah , see when people tell me they actually lost weight still eating junk foods (sometimes) it blows my mind . How is that possible . Pizza is so high in calories

I budget for @ 500 calories of pizza and also have a big salad (easy on the salad dressing calories) to go with it so I don't mind eating less pizza in one meal than I used to.

Do you exercise and eat your exercise calories back? That gives me a bigger calorie budget for foods like pizza.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My view on “healthy foods “ are anything that’s involve less calories aka vegetables and unseasoned steamed this and that kinda food . What I consider unhealthy is that pizza , mcd , Kfc and lots of carbs. Before I jumped into this diet I could eat 2 box of regular dominos pizza in one seating . I’m really afraid of going back to even trying pizza cause I know it’s going to be hard for me to control .

I'd work on changing your mindset. Even though I eat a very 'healthy' diet, I don't consider pizza, fast food etc 'bad'. Labeling food leads to frustration, guilt and failure. There's nothing wrong with eating the foods you like, you just need to learn how to fit them into your calorie targets.

Also, as you progress you may become interested in slowly adding nutrient dense foods but don't force it. I've been at this whole thing for around 7 years now and how I started out eating is completely different than how I eat today. But it's been a slow, natural progression. If I had tried making a bunch of drastic changes at the beginning I would have failed.

Interesting sidenote-during my active weight loss phase I ate fast food several times a week, ate no fruit, very few veggies, all sorts of packaged 'diet' foods etc. Lost 50lbs and improved all my health markers.

Woah , see when people tell me they actually lost weight still eating junk foods (sometimes) it blows my mind . How is that possible . Pizza is so high in calories

A single piece of a large pizza, cut into 8 pieces, is about 300 calories. It's less with thin crust, more with thick crust. The whole pizza is, of course, close to 2400 calories. Just don't eat more than one piece.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    anmille8 wrote: »
    also thin crust is less calories then handtossed just make sure you're watching the calories and maybe get a little extra exercise

I can burn only 300 calories a day . I do an hour of walking / badminton for 2 hours . That’s all for exercise. I hope that isn’t too bad for someone who’s extremely obese.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    I totally hear you! Im such a junk food/sweets person. MY husband can eat an entire bag of chips infront of me and i dont care to have any. But today in my opinion ive ate bad. I had a choc peanutbutter banana protein smoothing from work which when i plug it in here works out to be like 700 cals!! For a drink! Mind you - it filled me up like crazy so i didnt eat much else in the morning or at lunch. Then i was graving a coffee and cookie from mcdonalds. I caved and went and go it. But instead of bussing down, I walked. At a good pace really only took me 15mins down and 15 back but felt better about my decisions because i also was at the gym today and have been very active. I fall off track for a day or two alot, mainly on weekends, then get right back at it. I go up and down. Havent lost alot yet but the scale is slowly going down and not up so thats a baby step of progress aha If you deprive yourself. You will eventually fail. But the method everyone uses as fair as fitting it into their cals or alotting one day a week or month for cheat meals varies person to person. You got this!!

Thank you , I hope I can manage this time and actually sustain it

• UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi, I’ve been having intense junk food cravings lately and it’s scaring me because this is my last attempt to lose weight and it’s only been 15 days and I’m already thinking of eating back the unhealthy foods. I want healthy eating to be the only thing I talk about or I want it as my habit . I wonder how long will it take for me to sustain the healthy eating . I hope something triggers me into not giving up until I shed atleast 30kg (my ideal weight loss will be 60kg)

How many calories per day are you eating? I bet you are in a hurry and are undereating, and that is causing cravings. Set your weekly weight loss goal to no more than a pound a week (0.5 kg) and eat all your calories.

Also, did you leave your protein goal at the default and are you hitting it? I get cravings when I don't have enough protein.

I set it for 1kg per week and I want to lose about 60kg in 2 years time. So I have no choice but to add 1kg a week. I hope I can live up to it
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did this thread get shared in here yet? I can't remember. Read through this, OP. It's great stuff.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

B-b-but fruits and veg ARE carbs. Okay. I just had lunch. A 3-egg omelet stuffed with mushroom and scallion, and a potato cut into fries, tossed in a Ziploc bag with a tsp of oil and spices, then oven-baked. Topped with salsa. Healthy? Yup! Delicious? Ohhhh, yup! Carbs? 27 lovely grams of 'em (plus 26 g fat, 25g protein, 3g fiber and 13% of my iron RDA).

Yesterday I had 2 slices of pizza for lunch (one cheese with vegetarian pepperoni, one veg). Total hit? about 550 calories. Considering I walked for over 2 hours and strength-trained for an hour, totally worth it.

Food choices don't exist in a vacuum. It's about context and dosage.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    You're getting some really good advice! I wanted to add a couple of thoughts. First of all, yes, budget in some treats that you love. You can either do this by banking calories over time from other meals, or by getting in a bunch of exercise. I run and on long run days I can eat French fries, hamburgers, and other food that would never fit in my calories on a non-run day.

Second, yes, you can learn to be delighted by healthy food. Not by suddenly changing to a person who loves steamed broccoli but by learning how to cook and enjoy different kinds of healthy foods. Do you have a farmer's market or ethnic market nearby? Try challenging yourself to eat a new fun thing once a week - pick up a piece of fruit you have never tried, or a type of fish. Google it and find out how to prepare it so it tastes good. This is how I learned about mamey sapote fruit, which makes great low calorie "ice cream" when you blend it with ice. The world is full of exciting and low calorie seasonings. Only recently I started putting cacao powder in my oatmeal. Now I look forward to breakfast every day like a little kid eating Captain Crunch.

Try roasting vegetables instead of steaming them, they have much more flavor. Spray them down with a little spray olive oil - adds a lot of texture, flavor, and hardly any calories - and if you like add seasoning. I use garam masala, which is an Indian spice blend.

You can definitely do this! Literally just before reading your post I was commenting to my husband about how much more I enjoy food now than when I ate nothing but junk food all the time.

Wow , this is a good read omg . I will definitely try to make my own food and try out some new recipes. Thank youu
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

Wha? It's about 220-300 a slice. (I'm vegetarian, so I avoid the meat. And the obvious calorie bomb toppings like breaded fried cauliflower.) 1 slice and a salad or 2 slices and I'm good.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    Options
    Hi, I’ve been having intense junk food cravings lately and it’s scaring me because this is my last attempt to lose weight and it’s only been 15 days and I’m already thinking of eating back the unhealthy foods. I want healthy eating to be the only thing I talk about or I want it as my habit . I wonder how long will it take for me to sustain the healthy eating . I hope something triggers me into not giving up until I shed atleast 30kg (my ideal weight loss will be 60kg)

How many calories per day are you eating? I bet you are in a hurry and are undereating, and that is causing cravings. Set your weekly weight loss goal to no more than a pound a week (0.5 kg) and eat all your calories.

Also, did you leave your protein goal at the default and are you hitting it? I get cravings when I don't have enough protein.

I set it for 1kg per week and I want to lose about 60kg in 2 years time. So I have no choice but to add 1kg a week. I hope I can live up to it

As I suspected, your deficit is too aggressive for the weight you want to lose and that is causing cravings. Likely that next it will cause binges.

Would you rather lose the 60kg slower or never lose it?

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

Is it too aggressive? My daily calorie intake are 2000 calories. Slower :( but I have 0 patience
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    So what everyone else said is true but I think I'm a bit like you where I'm not balanced enough to make responsible decisions. Or at least I used to be (and still am with some foods).

So much about weight loss and gain is psychological and emotional. Like really, if everyone had a healthy balanced view of food, many of us wouldn't have ended up obese to begin with. It helped me to break some of my mental blocks about food and also to understand my triggers. Personally I found a program like Whole 30 helpful because it helped me learn a lot about why I overeat and it's long enough that, for me, it broke my intense cravings. But not so long that its overwhelming. I'm not saying it is needed for everyone or anything like that, but it helped me.

Now I'm much more able to enjoy foods in moderation but there are still foods that I just have to avoid . like alcohol and zesty cheese Doritos (together). If I am drinking and I have a bag of those chips, I WILL eat the entire bag. And regret it very quickly. Lol.

Try to make tastier food that you call healthy. Slowly incorporate the odd thing you are craving if you can control the portion size. If it's a food you tend to overindulge in, try a "cheater" recipe that is less calorie intense but gives you the flavor. Ie I LOVE tacos but the hard shell type can add up quick so instead I load a salad or baked potato with all the yummy toppings (easy on the cheese) and it hits the spot.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

As I suspected, your deficit is too aggressive for the weight you want to lose and that is causing cravings. Likely that next it will cause binges.

2 lbs a week is not aggressive for someone losing 132 lbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

2 lbs a week is not aggressive for someone losing 132 lbs.

Oh! I just saw "at least 30kg" in the OP and converted that to 66 pounds and didn't realize the subsequent 60 was kg not pounds.