Thoughts on TDEE calculators and switching from MFP to TDEE.

Options

Replies

• Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have not been exercising, at all
    Some days I still do not exercise, at all.
    My job is seated, all day, desk work.
    Sometimes there is OverTime sitting even longer

For a 500 calorie deficit,
    Can I just use the Calories Number from "Scooby Sedentary to maintain"
    and use a combo of reduced Food Calories and Exercise to achieve that 500-deficit each day?

Why not do the MFP method and get the same thing.

Set activity level to sedentary, weight loss to 1 lb weekly.

Eat back your exercise calories.

You now get 500 cal deficit everyday, exercise or not.

You can pretend half of them were caused by exercise if you desire.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I used MFP's calculator for some time until I read In Place of a Road Map. I decided to check out this TDEE thing when my weight loss stalled at one point. "If what you're doing isn't working, do something else", was my thinking. I did TDEE minus 20% and then didn't have to worry about eating back exercise calories and gee does housecleaning really burn that many calories etc. So for me, TDEE minus 15- 20% was ideal. I bounced around between that number and MFPs original number just to shake things up. I don't know that there's anything scientific to support that part of my plan, but I've been at goal weight (actually below) since March. So I think it worked out okay...
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options

and use a combo of reduced Food Calories and Exercise to achieve that 500-deficit each day?

The problem with "eating back your exercise calories" is I don't know that MFP has the best method for calculating calories burned and it's easy to fool ourselves into thinking we're burning more than we are. The benefit of TDEE with a 15-20% deficit is you don't have to figure out whether or not washing the windows was heavy or light cleaning, and whether or not you realistically burned 1500 calories on the elyptical in an hour (I've seen some really crazy calorie burn posts that make me think, 'really? is that even possible'?). That's what I liked about using TDEE with a 15-20% deficit.

But having said that, everyone needs to follow a method that they can stick with and that works for them. So if MFP is it, then go for it!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thank you for stating this...It is so easy to make this change without t, like you say , sufficient information! I did this exact thing...and started to gain. Got demoralised and stopped eating and exercising for a while!

So cheers for this!:drinker:
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all you knowledgeable people for imparting your knowledge!!! I really appreciate all of the help!! :flowerforyou:
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options

do the MFP -- Set activity level to sedentary, weight loss to 1 lb weekly.
    Because MFP will not go lower than 1,200 calories, no matter what we ask it to "lose per week"
    :-)
    But I see what you are saying.
    For a TDEE-sedentary-to-maintain
    I could Manually set it for
    1,000 calories per day (500 deficit)
    and eat back my exercise calories

That's probably easiest.
    I forgot why I didn't want to do that or maybe I hadn't thought about it :-)
    Thank you!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I forgot why I didn't want to do that or maybe I hadn't thought about it :-)

I think I just remembered why
    I think it was re-adjusting my macros and that mixed me up
    :-)
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I, too, was happy to read this today. I was using MFP method at first, then switched to TDEE, now back to MFP with some considerations. I cannot agree more that experience and careful measuring is the only way to determine what is right for each one of us. I'm a bit of a spreadsheet geek so I enjoy the process of documenting each day's data.

I now have 3 weeks of data and I have enjoyed mulling it over. I've decided that I really need to look at total calories rather than net. The "problem" with MFP is if you have a day where you do a ton of exercise you can end up eating a lot of calories. This happened to me a few times this past week and no surprise, the scales are climbing.

I've decided to continue using the MFP system but I'm not going to look at net calories. Instead I'm only focussing on total calories and sticking to that regardless of how much I exercise that day. The goal takes into account my usual level of exercise, and now I'm not tempted to go out for a bike ride just so I can have an extra something to eat! ;-)
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I concur. Great post! I too, fell victim to this very thing about a year ago. I had been losing without counting calories and then when I started doing MFP, I began to gain. I couldn't figure out what the problem was initially.

Uh me too. I was losing weight BEFORE I joined MFP and became so calorie focused. I think that it's all about consistency with whatever you chose and monitor for change. My TDEE - 20% is below my BMR, so I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing lol...! I guess I am doing TDEE -15 and exercising to make up the difference.

I DID put my activity level at sedentary so whatever activity I do is icing on the nonexistent cake. I think if ppl do TDEE, put your activity level on sedentary unless you KNOW that you will do the allotted amount of exercise per week. When I switched to TDEE, i had my level on light and it was a fair amount of calories added on. I was happy to be eating more, but had to be honest with myself. Now I am exercising more consistently under sedentary. Go figure
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I, too, was happy to read this today. I was using MFP method at first, then switched to TDEE, now back to MFP with some considerations. I cannot agree more that experience and careful measuring is the only way to determine what is right for each one of us. I'm a bit of a spreadsheet geek so I enjoy the process of documenting each day's data.

I now have 3 weeks of data and I have enjoyed mulling it over. I've decided that I really need to look at total calories rather than net. The "problem" with MFP is if you have a day where you do a ton of exercise you can end up eating a lot of calories. This happened to me a few times this past week and no surprise, the scales are climbing.

I've decided to continue using the MFP system but I'm not going to look at net calories. Instead I'm only focussing on total calories and sticking to that regardless of how much I exercise that day. The goal takes into account my usual level of exercise, and now I'm not tempted to go out for a bike ride just so I can have an extra something to eat! ;-)

Or have a glass of wine to celebrate an exercise session, lol. I focus on total as well but mainly because I have no idea where those estimates come from with the calories burned. I'd rather not eat them back because I could be eating more than I really burned.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

The problem with "eating back your exercise calories" is I don't know that MFP has the best method for calculating calories burned and it's easy to fool ourselves into thinking we're burning more than we are. The benefit of TDEE with a 15-20% deficit is you don't have to figure out whether or not washing the windows was heavy or light cleaning, and whether or not you realistically burned 1500 calories on the elyptical in an hour (I've seen some really crazy calorie burn posts that make me think, 'really? is that even possible'?). That's what I liked about using TDEE with a 15-20% deficit.

But having said that, everyone needs to follow a method that they can stick with and that works for them. So if MFP is it, then go for it!

Very true, only reason I suggested MFP method to that post - no exercise, long sitting hours, no exercise.

With that kind of routine, I'm betting any exercise will be walking, and MFP for walking, if you hit the speeds shown and are flat, are more accurate than HRM, since weight is all that matters.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of TDEE until seeing this post, so I decided to google it.

I discovered that my TDEE is 2031. My jaw dropped. I usually eat 700-1000 calories LESS than that every day. Am I unintentionally putting my body into starvation mode? I go by an "eat when I'm hungry" approach to intake and that often lands me at a relatively low number of calories consumed.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of TDEE until seeing this post, so I decided to google it.

I discovered that my TDEE is 2031. My jaw dropped. I usually eat 700-1000 calories LESS than that every day. Am I unintentionally putting my body into starvation mode? I go by an "eat when I'm hungry" approach to intake and that often lands me at a relatively low number of calories consumed.

No, you won't be putting your metabolism into starvation mode at 700-1000 calories below TDEE. Don't worry about that.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    The real problem I have with TDEE, and with MFP to a lesser degree, is the generalities they use. First, you cannot say 2 people of exactly the same age, height and weight will have exactly the same BMR. Everyone's metabolism is different. It may get you close, but it is still a gross appoximization. Then, the biggest problem with TDEE is the exercise part of the equation: light exercise, moderate exercise, heavy. Everyone has a different idea of what that is to them. Someone may think doing 5 days a week of Prancersize is a very heavy workout. Some may think 3 days a week running 20 miles a day is light. Again, it is too general to give specific calorie recommendations to be taken completely at face value with constant and careful monitoring.

What Sidesteel I think is advocating (please correct me if I'm wrong), and what I do periodically, is take the actual food data entered into MFP, add in weight loss (or gain) over an identical period of time, and calculate your actual TDEE based upon your own body's results. To do this, you have to be as accurate and honest in your logging of your food as possible.

Say over a 7 day period you consume 10,500 calories and you lose a pound (or 3500 calories), you know you're actual TDEE is 2000 calories/day.

Of course, if you are math-phobic, don't keep accurate food logs, haven't been doing it long enough, or just want to do it the easy way, choose whichever one is working for you. If one is working for you, don't change. But when it stops, don't be pigheaded and refuse to try something different.
  • arnpjenn
    arnpjenn Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the wonderful information.

I am in starvation mode as well & no wonder I've been sitting at this frickin' plateau forever! MFP had my caloric needs at 1772 to lose a pound a week (current weight 225). I work out 3 days/week with cardio (40+ high intensity) & 2 days of weight training (HITT) and have been faithful measuring/weighing and logging all food going into my mouth. I have tried very low carb & have recently started carb cycling. I have not been eating back my exercise calories everyday. Over the past 13 years I've gone from 313# down to 225# - despite gaining close to 90# with both pregnancies! I desparately want to hit my 100# mark & then keep going! ...and I'm so close.

This has helped me to realize my BMR is 1760 & TDEE 2420 (with chosing light activitity). My TDEE -20% is 1936

After reading this Monday, I've increased to my TDEE for a week to "reset" my weight loss clock and then chug along.

Thank you again!
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I am in starvation mode as well & no wonder I've been sitting at this frickin' plateau forever! MFP had my caloric needs at 1772 to lose a pound a week (current weight 225). I work out 3 days/week with cardio (40+ high intensity) & 2 days of weight training (HITT) and have been faithful measuring/weighing and logging all food going into my mouth. I have tried very low carb & have recently started carb cycling. I have not been eating back my exercise calories everyday. Over the past 13 years I've gone from 313# down to 225# - despite gaining close to 90# with both pregnancies! I desparately want to hit my 100# mark & then keep going! ...and I'm so close.

This has helped me to realize my BMR is 1760 & TDEE 2420 (with chosing light activitity). My TDEE -20% is 1936

After reading this Monday, I've increased to my TDEE for a week to "reset" my weight loss clock and then chug along.

Thank you again!
    arnpjenn, you might want to check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group here on MFP. It's also known as EM2WL What a great wealth of information they have for you. Good luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thank you again!

I'm curious how (or if) my original post lead you to the above conclusions.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope your diet break works, but I'd encourage you to re-read the original post, as it appears to me that you are doing exactly what I'm suggesting not to do.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thank you again!

You will not be in 'starvation mode' (whichever definition you want to use) at that intake.

Do you weigh all your food where possible using a digital scale? Do you accurately log all your food, even condiments etc.