help getting membrane off boiled eggs please

Options
124»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    even less helpful post, not to mention even less relevant..

but anyway....

when my husband was young and stupid and microwaves were a new invention - he tried boiling an egg in one.

Do not try this at home unless you like scraping exploded egg bits off your walls :*:s:s:o

Did he do it in the shell or out of it? Out of it can be tricky but is doable. Many, many moons ago I would poach eggs in a cup with a little water and a splash of vinegar. Still had a yolk explode occasionally.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Start eggs in cool water. Water level should be 1-2 inches above eggs. Bring to boil. Cover. Turn off heat. Let sit for 12 min. Move eggs to ice bath. Keep in ice bath 10 minutes. Peel immediately. Eggs have been perfect EVERY time.

This is my process, although I don't keep them in the ice bath quite as long. One thing I also do that seems to help is I crack the shell a bunch on the side of the pot and then dump them back in the cold water. After I get done cracking all the eggs, I go back to the first one and start peeling. A moist membrane is a happy membrane.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Start eggs in cool water. Water level should be 1-2 inches above eggs. Bring to boil. Cover. Turn off heat. Let sit for 12 min. Move eggs to ice bath. Keep in ice bath 10 minutes. Peel immediately. Eggs have been perfect EVERY time.

This is my process, although I don't keep them in the ice bath quite as long. One thing I also do that seems to help is I crack the shell a bunch on the side of the pot and then dump them back in the cold water. After I get done cracking all the eggs, I go back to the first one and start peeling. A moist membrane is a happy membrane.

This is my method....no prob peel!
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    4 pages worth of why I buy my eggs already hard boiled. I know it costs a few cents more, but I go through so much of them it's well worth it. Anyone else? No- just me?
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    4 pages worth of why I buy my eggs already hard boiled. I know it costs a few cents more, but I go through so much of them it's well worth it. Anyone else? No- just me?

I don't think I've seen already boiled cost only a few cents more where I am (they're like, three dollars for six eggs when a dozen of uncooked is 99 cents), but whatever works for you. I do like my eggs just on the edge of soft boiled, so I like to do it myself, haha.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I don't think I've seen already boiled cost only a few cents more where I am (they're like, three dollars for six eggs when a dozen of uncooked is 99 cents), but whatever works for you. I do like my eggs just on the edge of soft boiled, so I like to do it myself, haha.

You're probably right that it's more than "a few cents". I honestly made the switch and never looked back! I actually only eat eggs as hard boiled (for breakfast, salads, or before the gym) but if I ate them in some other form then I would definitely go the route of buying them raw and boiling some every now and then in large batches.
  • RelCanonical
    Options

You're probably right that it's more than "a few cents". I honestly made the switch and never looked back! I actually only eat eggs as hard boiled (for breakfast, salads, or before the gym) but if I ate them in some other form then I would definitely go the route of buying them raw and boiling some every now and then in large batches.

I think if I bought them I would get totally spoiled by them too, haha. It's hard to go back once you start getting into more convenient foods.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't know if you have an Instant Pot but they are foolproof in it. Put eggs on rack, water just to bottom of the rack. Then12 mins on LOW pressure. Take pressure off then quick ice bath. The shells and membrane almost fall off.