Qustion for Larger guys? (no ladies please)

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
I have a dead lift question that I have been to embarrassed to ask my trainer. I'm going to put it here, and hopefully not get a strike.

When I dead lift I have some issues at the top of the lift. Your supposed to push your arms back and lock it in. At higher weight I need to lean forward, because the family jewels are in the way. I'm not really sure what to do about this. Is something wrong with my form on the way up. It always just seem to be like right there, and I'm a bit scared to lean back with the bar.
I don't think I should have to tuck back, or wear my compression shorts for a dead lift. What do other guys do?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    :-P
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have this problem, but I have heard of a couple solutions:

1. take a wider stance so your jewels aren't propped in front of your legs.
    2. Wear briefs if you are wearing boxers, and pack the boys up.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've heard that widening your stance helps. I'll ask my trainer for you.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing boxers to lift in. I save my briefs for run days, maybe I need to just go all brief.

..and the wider stance may be the heart of the issue. Thanks!
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wear compression shorts ALL the time working out, otherwise yes, things get in the way and you're just distracting yourself from what you need to do.
  • Harrenhall
    Options
    boxer briefs were what was needed to keep this problem from occurring for me
    after I lost some thigh inches however, regular boxers started to work again (seems my thighs were in the Della's way)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    compression shorts and/or the trap bar.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Wear compression shorts. I always wear them while working out.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Boxers while lifting is a bad idea, for several reasons.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have a dead lift question that I have been to embarrassed to ask my trainer. I'm going to put it here, and hopefully not get a strike.

When I dead lift I have some issues at the top of the lift. Your supposed to push your arms back and lock it in. At higher weight I need to lean forward, because the family jewels are in the way. I'm not really sure what to do about this. Is something wrong with my form on the way up. It always just seem to be like right there, and I'm a bit scared to lean back with the bar.
    I don't think I should have to tuck back, or wear my compression shorts for a dead lift. What do other guys do?
    you know the lift is right when you get the junk slap. When I lift I use compression shorts under my gym shorts, and then just grit my teeth and take the shock. It happens, but you know, it toughens you up.

As a trainer once told me, "harden up, nancy." I almost laughed til I puked because this guy was a good foot shorter than me and a frickin' brick. Good kid.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I wear compression shorts ALL the time working out, otherwise yes, things get in the way and you're just distracting yourself from what you need to do.

This. Get compression shorts. Try widening your stance a bit.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I always wear Nike Pro Compression shorts when I workout..... and agree on widening your stance..... Best of Luck
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Oh thank goodness, I thought I was the only one. I have been wearing boxer briefs. I will get some briefs or compression shorts.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Highly interesting topic. Plz continue.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Serious response to your question.

Lift your boys along on top of the bar. Sure it adds a couple of extra pounds, but safety first!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Yeah man, you can even buy some cheepos just to keep the family jewels tucked in. Personally I get waaaaay to self conscious at the gym if I have to go with just boxers underneath so I avoid it at all cost. Slamming your lifts against your junk or giving the cardio area a full view of the outline during pull-ups isn't fun. Guess I just wasn't born to be a creeper.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Lift your boys along on top of the bar. Sure it adds a couple of extra pounds, but safety first!

I think we need to see a video of this....for form review and stuff.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

We freely distribute videos. But only for those that can follow TOPIC DIRECTIONS!

90056bf684b9b397c3abf4d8f7cab405_m.jpg
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

That is kind of what happens already, and does not feel to great having things smooshed between your body and the bar. Thankfully I am fluffy, so there is some padding. But guys with low bodyfat must have it worse.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

We freely distribute videos. But only for those that can follow TOPIC DIRECTIONS!

90056bf684b9b397c3abf4d8f7cab405_m.jpg

Who says I'm a lady? :tongue: