Do I keep my INSTAPOT?

amfmmama
amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
I got an Instapot for Chirstmas, and it is sitting in my kitchen, in the box. It was bought on sale for 70.00. Is it worth keeping? Tell me your Instapot story... good, bad, ugly. GO!

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    I use it for rice because for some reason I just can’t *kitten* do it on the stove. I had a pressure cooker forever for rice and when it broke I was devastated. It’s a glorified pressure cooker.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    I really like my instapot, it's multifunction so I can get rid of my crockpot , ricecooker, and steamer. Which is nice because my goal this year is multifunction appliances for my kitchen to save space. It cooks very quickly and holds moisture in so meats are never dry. The only thing I don't love is sometimes you can overcook your veggies so you have to time when you want them to go in if you are cooking more than one thing at a time in the pot. It makes a great all in one go broccoli and cheese soup though. I cook pork loin in it. you can sear your meat first and then pressure cook it which is nice since it's all in one pot. No extra dishes to do. I say keep it, learn it, love it.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    As someone who isn't a fan of food prepared via slow cooker, crockpot, etc. I don't understand the appeal. Numerous people have insisted to my wife and I how great they are and I just kinda shrug. I'd be more inclined to explore Sous Vide methods.

Don’t mean to derail but I do not understand the Sous Vide craze. My husband and I got one for our wedding and it’s just chilling in the box. I’m kinda scared of it.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    I got mine for Christmas and use it minimum 3 times a week. I did frozen chicken breast the other day in literally 15 minutes...shredded it up, threw it and some veggies on riced cauliflower. The best part is only having 1 pot to clean up!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    lin_be wrote: »
    As someone who isn't a fan of food prepared via slow cooker, crockpot, etc. I don't understand the appeal. Numerous people have insisted to my wife and I how great they are and I just kinda shrug. I'd be more inclined to explore Sous Vide methods.

Don’t mean to derail but I do not understand the Sous Vide craze. My husband and I got one for our wedding and it’s just chilling in the box. I’m kinda scared of it.

Agreed, and it takes soooo long.
  • Grimmerick

Yea I think that's kinda one of the main points of the pressure cooker you can cook fast but it tastes like you cooked it slow even from frozen. As a person that works all day and has to come home and cook dinner, I'm looking for fast options with maximum flavor and texture.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Love mine! Reasons include, but are not limited to:

-makes rice perfect every time
    -hard-boiled eggs
    -steel cut oats
    -can cook one of my pre-made freezer meals (including raw meat) from frozen in about an hour or so
    -unlike the slow cooker, I don’t have to plan first thing in the morning. I can decide what I want to make for dinner at 4:30 and have it ready in a jiffy
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    I love mine. I do quinoa with spinach, sweet potatoes, carrots, baby potatoes, veggie and beans soups. I like that it makes for an easy, one-pot cleanup.
  • Grimmerick
    I like my instant pot (and my sous vide). They are both useful tools. The instant pot is great for mid week meals because you can crank them out in a short amount of time. I cooked dried pinto beans the other day - pantry to plate in an hour and a half. You can't do that without a pressure cooker. I love traditional cooking methods - I have a wood fired oven and two Big Green Eggs in my outdoor kitchen. I love cooking from scratch and doing things "the hard way." I love cooking things that are slow and tedious, but I also live in reality and sometimes need to just get food on the table. Like @witchaywoman81 I sometimes don't plan well and can't decide what to cook until after work. The instant pot can make a home cooked meal possible instead of take out food.

Edit: I made home made tamales recently - in two hours using the instant pot. That is REALLY quick for making tamales...

Can you please share your instant pot tamale recipe!!!!!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    I am definitely very happy with mine, and I use it about 2-3 times per week.

I can get tender, fall-off-the-bone babyback ribs done in an hour. Same for pot roast and pork shoulder. It is great for things that typically take hours. Soup and stock are quick.

For things where it does not save you any time, it may save you with its convenience. For example, I like to use it to make hard boiled eggs because I can set it and walk away and not have to tend the stove. Some find that the eggs are easier to peel.

Mine has a yogurt function so I can make yogurt. And I make it very often - it is so much better than store bought.

I can heat up a side dish at the same time as a frozen block of chicken breasts by putting a pot of veggies on top of the chicken. Some people make 3 things at once. Dinner in about 30 minutes from frozen in one pot.

A lot of people like to try to cook everything in it, but IMO, it is not always worth the trouble. I have much better control and speed for sauteeing things on my stovetop. And I don't mind turning on my oven for baked goods.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

That's the whole point. It takes a long time, is pretty hands off, and the results are very good.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    edited January 2019
    I say give it a try. Find an electric pressure cooker cookbook that has recipes you are interested in and see how it does.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Keep it and use it. It's a very useful addition to any kitchen. Just Google Instant Pot and you'll find hundreds of recipes.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    We use ours all the time...it's basically an automated pressure cooker with some additional functions like saute and slow cook. We eat beans a lot and we make them in the Instantpot now in about 40 minutes rather than hours on the stove top. We also batch prepare meals for the week...just chop and prep all of the raw ingredients and freeze them...get home and dump the frozen lump of food into the Instantpot and voila...dinner is served in 30-40 minutes and mostly hands off so you're not sitting over the stove and cooking and can do other things like homework with your kids.

There are tons of recipes on line and on pinterest for Instantpot, both fresh and the frozen I spoke of...it's pretty awesome, especially for weeknights when we get home from work later and have other things to do like homework with the kids.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I use mine several times a week. I especially like it for cooking dried beans, soups, and big batches of vegetables. It's so fast and I find it really easy to clean.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Grimmerick wrote: »
    I like my instant pot (and my sous vide). They are both useful tools. The instant pot is great for mid week meals because you can crank them out in a short amount of time. I cooked dried pinto beans the other day - pantry to plate in an hour and a half. You can't do that without a pressure cooker. I love traditional cooking methods - I have a wood fired oven and two Big Green Eggs in my outdoor kitchen. I love cooking from scratch and doing things "the hard way." I love cooking things that are slow and tedious, but I also live in reality and sometimes need to just get food on the table. Like @witchaywoman81 I sometimes don't plan well and can't decide what to cook until after work. The instant pot can make a home cooked meal possible instead of take out food.

Edit: I made home made tamales recently - in two hours using the instant pot. That is REALLY quick for making tamales...

I'll PM you when I get a chance to pull it together. Gimme a bit...
    Mostly the instant pot just #1cooks the tamales faster and #2Makes is a "hands off" cook - you don't have to baby sit them while cooking. Other than that, it's tamale making as usual.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Grimmerick wrote: »

Here's a good link: https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/mexican-tamales/
    I usually keep some type of filling in the freezer - it can go well in enchiladas or empanadas as well. When I said tamales in 2 hours that was assuming I already had filling made.