Do I keep my INSTAPOT?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Grimmerick wrote: »
    I like my instant pot (and my sous vide). They are both useful tools. The instant pot is great for mid week meals because you can crank them out in a short amount of time. I cooked dried pinto beans the other day - pantry to plate in an hour and a half. You can't do that without a pressure cooker. I love traditional cooking methods - I have a wood fired oven and two Big Green Eggs in my outdoor kitchen. I love cooking from scratch and doing things "the hard way." I love cooking things that are slow and tedious, but I also live in reality and sometimes need to just get food on the table. Like @witchaywoman81 I sometimes don't plan well and can't decide what to cook until after work. The instant pot can make a home cooked meal possible instead of take out food.

Edit: I made home made tamales recently - in two hours using the instant pot. That is REALLY quick for making tamales...

Can you please share your instant pot tamale recipe!!!!!

Here's a good link: https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/mexican-tamales/
    I usually keep some type of filling in the freezer - it can go well in enchiladas or empanadas as well. When I said tamales in 2 hours that was assuming I already had filling made.

Thank you! This sounds good I didn't know you could make them in a pressure cooker
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    If you enjoy doing washing of pots and pans and multi utensils......cook on the stove.
    My IP cooks many different things 1 pot quickly! Look up recipes and research.
    My fave appliance!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Thank you for all of your responses!
  • amfmmama
    lin_be wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    As someone who isn't a fan of food prepared via slow cooker, crockpot, etc. I don't understand the appeal. Numerous people have insisted to my wife and I how great they are and I just kinda shrug. I'd be more inclined to explore Sous Vide methods.

Don’t mean to derail but I do not understand the Sous Vide craze. My husband and I got one for our wedding and it’s just chilling in the box. I’m kinda scared of it.

googling sous vide... no idea what that is!
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    We use ours quite often, at least a few times a week. It makes the absolute best mashed potatoes and baked potatoes!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    amfmmama wrote: »
    lin_be wrote: »
    As someone who isn't a fan of food prepared via slow cooker, crockpot, etc. I don't understand the appeal. Numerous people have insisted to my wife and I how great they are and I just kinda shrug. I'd be more inclined to explore Sous Vide methods.

Don’t mean to derail but I do not understand the Sous Vide craze. My husband and I got one for our wedding and it’s just chilling in the box. I’m kinda scared of it.

googling sous vide... no idea what that is!

Meh... just another cooking method.
  • amfmmama
    We use ours quite often, at least a few times a week. It makes the absolute best mashed potatoes and baked potatoes!

ohhhhhhh...... baked potatoes!!!!!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    The studies are out there, pressure cooking preserves nutrients and increases digestibility. The person who suggested it damaged food in some way is uninformed.

https://www.foodrenegade.com/pressure-cooking-healthy/ - has links to the studies she references. I checked a few out, but not all, it isn't something I care to spend time in-depth researching.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member

Different devices for different foods and desired results:
    I have sous vide and use it for large cuts of meat.
    Instant pot is use the pressure cooker setting and yogurt , nothing else, for while grains, beans, and cubes pieces of meat.
    I never use a slow cooker to cook anymore; it’s a very different and less satisfying result than pressure cook.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    You can definitely return your instant pot. And then you can regret it forever. Your choice.

Or better yet, send it to me. I already have two, but I’m sure I could still put that baby to use.
  • poolchicko5
    poolchicko5 Posts: 21 Member
    Yes keep it, just look up different recipes of things you would normally cook and cook it in there. As a chef I was pretty anti the instant pot until last summer working 17+ hour days gave me no time to cook. It not only allowed my s/o to learn to cook some meals but I could just saute meat and/or veggies in there, throw in rice, seasoning and liquid and have a dish in less than 30 minutes. I think one of the struggles with losing weight is the time it takes to cook and prepare healthy meals. So the instant pot is on your side. Use it to your advantage!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What bad things do you think pressure cookers do to food?

Uh, place that lovely roasting chicken in the pressure cooker, turn it on for a bit, Voila! Catfood. There is a reason why you can't find a pressure cooker in a restaurant kitchen unless they are processing dry beans.

As I said, some people don't care what they eat as long as there is a lot of it. I didn't say that the stuff that comes out of pressure cooking was without nutrition.

Lol. Someone doesn’t know how to use their instant pot yet. So sad.

Try some indian or chinese dishes in there. You will be very surprised.

No, I would never use it to cook a whole chicken either. That’s just silly.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    What's the definition of "cat food" that we're working with here? Also that of "bad things?"

These claims are following the typical pattern - vague scary pronouncement, with an off the cuff, extra brief "explanation" as poster realises they never really thought it through.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What bad things do you think pressure cookers do to food?

Uh, place that lovely roasting chicken in the pressure cooker, turn it on for a bit, Voila! Catfood. There is a reason why you can't find a pressure cooker in a restaurant kitchen unless they are processing dry beans.

As I said, some people don't care what they eat as long as there is a lot of it. I didn't say that the stuff that comes out of pressure cooking was without nutrition.

I don't like meat that's been cooked to mush either, but you can cook food to mush by any method. Learn how to use a pressure cooker correctly and you'll get better results.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    I just finished draining last night's homemade yogurt, and we use the Instant Pot frequently for easy hard-boiled eggs. This has all pretty much been covered, but I also use it for cooking dry beans, making soup or chili, and making steamed puddings and cheesecakes. I'm planning to make butter chicken later this week.