Do I keep my INSTAPOT?

Options

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Makes excellent stock in 2 hours without the nasty aroma in the kitchen. Roast with carrots and potatoes in 50 mins, spaghetti squash in 7, mashed potatoes in 10...it's amazing!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Yes keep it, just look up different recipes of things you would normally cook and cook it in there. As a chef I was pretty anti the instant pot until last summer working 17+ hour days gave me no time to cook. It not only allowed my s/o to learn to cook some meals but I could just saute meat and/or veggies in there, throw in rice, seasoning and liquid and have a dish in less than 30 minutes. I think one of the struggles with losing weight is the time it takes to cook and prepare healthy meals. So the instant pot is on your side. Use it to your advantage!

A chef! Tell me your favorites!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Pressure vessels do bad things to food. Some folks don't notice or care. That is ok. Their choice. Everyone is entitled to a preference when it comes to food prep.

But, there is a reason that the only place one can find pressure vessels is in processed food factories (think Spam), pet food factories and prison or military mess halls. It is that the chemical changes in food caused by high temperature cooking under pressure are not desired by chefs.

For my part, I use my old school pressure cooker for two things. Dry bean soups and homemade cat food.

@wilson10102018 Why do you hate your cat!?!?! :p
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Handiest kitchen gadget ever!! Toss your crock pot, wok, rice maker, etc. it does it all with no fuss and easy clean up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Makes excellent stock in 2 hours without the nasty aroma in the kitchen. Roast with carrots and potatoes in 50 mins, spaghetti squash in 7, mashed potatoes in 10...it's amazing!

I LOVE the aroma of stock cooking! I'm glad I'm in a bigger place where my bedroom is farther away from the kitchen. I make stock overnight in the crock pot and the yummy smell used to wake me up when I lived in the smaller place.

My recipe for stock:

1. Collect bones in gallon zip lock bag in freezer. (It's nice to get a few beef bones along with the mostly chicken bones. Chicken wing bones are prized.)
    2. When bag is mostly full, put bones in crock pot.
    3. Cover with water.
    4. Cook on High for an hour then turn to low and cook overnight.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What bad things do you think pressure cookers do to food?

Uh, place that lovely roasting chicken in the pressure cooker, turn it on for a bit, Voila! Catfood. There is a reason why you can't find a pressure cooker in a restaurant kitchen unless they are processing dry beans.

As I said, some people don't care what they eat as long as there is a lot of it. I didn't say that the stuff that comes out of pressure cooking was without nutrition.

If I want roast chicken I will take the 1-2 hours to cook it in the oven at home. I haven’t cooked a whole chicken in the IP but I know people who have and shred the chicken for use in all sorts of meals and they rave about the rapid cook time and results. I don’t have cats so I have no idea if the IP would be a good cooking vessel for making food for them.

I repeat it doesn’t seem like you really know much about the Instand Pot or pressure cookers and it seems you are willfully misconstruing what people here are saying. No one has said it is the ideal cooking method for all foods.

I’m also not sure why you are conflating people talking about reasons to keep and enjoy an Instant Pot with eating high volumes of food with no regard for taste.

Or make roast chicken by spatchocking - 5 pound chicken in 50 minutes. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10706093/spatchcocked-chicken-where-have-you-been-all-my-life
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I was very much hesitant, because I remember the old stove top pressure cooker during my childhood and being a little fearful of it.

I have been using this thing at least weekly, and slowly experimenting with different meals. I like the single pot clean up. I like that I can set it and walk away. I like that everything I've made with it has tasted great (so far). I like that something I would normally spend a considerable amount of time on, are quick and easy (dried beans, being one of them). Today I made stew using frozen stew meat. It was lovely. You won't be able to talk me into giving it up!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The only thing I won’t do in my insta pot is chicken. It comes out bland unless I am coating it in gobs if sauce. I use it multiple times a week for other things though. Most of which are listed here so I won’t do it again. Love the thing and when it bites the dust I will replace it fairly quickly.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Does it really save that much time though? You have to wait until it comes up to pressure which according to a friend who has one, takes 15 minutes, then it cooks for say 15 minutes for example, then it has to depressurize for another 15 minutes. 45 minutes to make chicken? I can roast one in the oven in about the same time, and make rice in the microwave in 6 minutes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Does it really save that much time though? You have to wait until it comes up to pressure which according to a friend who has one, takes 15 minutes, then it cooks for say 15 minutes for example, then it has to depressurize for another 15 minutes. 45 minutes to make chicken? I can roast one in the oven in about the same time, and make rice in the microwave in 6 minutes.

I was skeptical at first too. Some things really aren’t faster and again, I would never use the IP for something like a whole chicken if I was craving roast chicken.

But chili and stews that you would normally cook all day in the slow cooker to develop flavors? 30 min or less in IP.

Baby back ribs that my husband babysits all day on the smoker - a reasonable alternative in winter in about 40 min total (with a 5 min finish under the broiler).

Things I haven’t made that everyone raves about - dried beans, hard boiled eggs and yogurt.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Re hard boiled eggs, I'm going to quote myself from another thread:

I use the hot-start method followed by a 15 minute or so ice bath and have no issues with peeling or membranes, even with fresh eggs. I don't use salt, vinegar, or poke holes.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

Re dried beans: black beans are done overnight (8 hours) in the slow cooker; no presoaking needed.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2019
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    I got an Instapot for Chirstmas, and it is sitting in my kitchen, in the box. It was bought on sale for 70.00. Is it worth keeping? Tell me your Instapot story... good, bad, ugly. GO!

I'm in no hurry to pay for one, but in your case, since you have it, I would get ATK's Multicooker cookbook, read the intro, and try a few recipes:

https://smile.amazon.com/Multicooker-Perfection-Cook-Slow-You-Decide/dp/1945256281/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2/132-8126153-8183528

If you decide against it, send it to me and I will pay for shipping :smiley:
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I just made chicken and dumpling......
    SO GOOD!
    Google Pillsbury instant pot chicken and dumplings. I substituted a bag of frozen mixed vegetables for the celery and carrots.
    This is the epitome of comfort food <3<3
  • Lucy17128
    Lucy17128 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a year and I LOVE it! There are so many things I haven't tried in it, but my favorite is quick steaming of veggies and pot roast. I haven't perfected rice in it though...not sure why.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't like cooking meat in mine, I find it flavorless because it doesn't properly brown. However I love it for grains, hard boiled eggs, and legumes. I use it regularly for steel cut oats. Oats cooked in milk boil over very easily if you don't watch them and the instapot makes it effortless.

It's not all that fast on most foods. For example, it claims to cook steel cut oats in 9 minutes. In reality it takes about 45, the same length of time as cooking it on a stove. 10 to heat up, 25 to cook, 10 to depressurize gradually - if you do it manually it's not cooked enough. But again - no watching. Never boils over, never burns.

One consideration: if I had an emergency and had to live out of a hotel room for a month, I could cook almost anything in it.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pork ribs in the Instant Pot are the best! Spaghetti and meatballs is also super easy. I haven't boiled pasta on the stovetop in over a year.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Pressure vessels do bad things to food. Some folks don't notice or care. That is ok. Their choice. Everyone is entitled to a preference when it comes to food prep.

But, there is a reason that the only place one can find pressure vessels is in processed food factories (think Spam), pet food factories and prison or military mess halls. It is that the chemical changes in food caused by high temperature cooking under pressure are not desired by chefs.

For my part, I use my old school pressure cooker for two things. Dry bean soups and homemade cat food.

I watch a lot of cooking shows and some of those chefs use pressure cookers.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

I don't cook chicken in it (don't eat it), but it absolutely saves time when cooking things like beans. Even with the time to pressurize and depressurize, it's the fastest way to cook dried beans that I've ever found and you don't even have to pre-soak them. If you choose to soak them, it's even faster.