DASH Diet thread

Options

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    The micros are hard sometimes due to labeling not including the potassium. But I am finding that hitting my dairy goals really helps.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit 8
    Veggie 0
    Whole grain 4
    Dairy 1.5
    Meat 4
    Nots 0.5
    Added sugar - soon
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Was doing some meal prepping and tried this DASH-friendly (if you use low-sodium canned goods) recipe. Very yummy, very easy. I cooked it for a lot longer than the instructions indicated to let it reduce a bit and for more flavor development. I was surprised how flavorful it was for how little seasoning was involved. Oh, and I just figured a bag of baby spinach was two generous handfuls. I used great northern (white kidney) beans instead of the butter beans because I already had those on hand. In fact, I only had to buy spinach to prepare this.

https://veggiedesserts.co.uk/spanish-beans-tomatoes/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Looks good. And I love that it's ingredients I normally have on hand (well, some sort of white bean, usually great northern or cannellini). May have to try that this week, might add some cauliflower too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Looks good. And I love that it's ingredients I normally have on hand (well, some sort of white bean, usually great northern or cannellini). May have to try that this week, might add some cauliflower too.

I have some vegetables that I roasted that I'm serving it with. Cauliflower is one of them. Since I already knew I was eating it with more veggies, I didn't add any more to the dish itself, but that's a good idea to make it a one pot meal in the future.

Because I will be making it again.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    That looks amazing and flavorful. Must try.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Kids have off of school this week (they do a year round online program through a local charter school); my husband is home sick from work today and I have a dentist appointment this morning sigh....

I probably won't be tracking serving sizes today, but at this point I have a good idea of what to eat so it still should be a solid DASH day. I'm also stopping into Meijer, they have some buy1get1free deals this week, including bags of shrimp, yay!
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Kids have off of school this week (they do a year round online program through a local charter school); my husband is home sick from work today and I have a dentist appointment this morning sigh....

I probably won't be tracking serving sizes today, but at this point I have a good idea of what to eat so it still should be a solid DASH day. I'm also stopping into Meijer, they have some buy1get1free deals this week, including bags of shrimp, yay!

I like that after the learning curve DASH is easy to settle into and you can have days where you are mindful instead of rigidly tracking.
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Today was a busy day, eating was pretty solid though so I'm happy about that.

Tomorrow we're heading out for the day again and we'll be eating lunch at Chick-Fil-A. I was pleasantly surprised to see several low calorie options on their menu and am planning on getting the grilled nuggets and then a superfood salad. There's also going to be a Krispy Kreme donut stop but I'm going to skip the donut and get a skinny caramel latte, for 110 calories. And then I'll have a green smoothie and whole grains toast with cheese before leaving and then something light, like oatmeal, for supper.

Everything should fit in nicely with DASH :)
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    That latte should count for a dairy serving! Very DASH
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options
    That latte should count for a dairy serving! Very DASH

So, walked into Krispy Kreme with my plan and then saw they had a new 'glazed' coffee, for 100 calories (small). Decided to try it and oh.my.goodness.-walked out with a bag of it :D It's a flavored bean that they add cream/syrup to (that's what makes up the calories). I bought the flavored beans and then added 2tbsp of 2% milk and then a packet of splenda-tasted just like what I got there, for only a few calories (cron. says 2tbsp of the milk is only 15 calories, but that seems a bit low?).

• emmamcgarity
    Options
    I meant to update my day yesterday but fell asleep instead. Had a good DASH day then a stressful evening that led me to opt for a lean cuisine with a glass of skim milk for dinner and a cup of frozen yogurt for dessert. Ended the day still within my calories and even ok on my sodium for the day.
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I meant to update my day yesterday but fell asleep instead. Had a good DASH day then a stressful evening that led me to opt for a lean cuisine with a glass of skim milk for dinner and a cup of frozen yogurt for dessert. Ended the day still within my calories and even ok on my sodium for the day.

Still sounds like a solid day :)

I'm back at it today and tracking my intake over at cron. I also started walking again this week. I've been a seasonal walker for a few years and have used winter weather as an excuse to be lazy-but I can't really justify it any longer, since my very elderly neighbors are out in the elements twice a day walking :*

Did 1.5 miles yesterday and just got back in from another 1.5m. I'm using a pedometer app, which is putting me at just under 100 calories burned, so I'm going to add 50 calories to my day and see how this goes. I've never payed attention to exercise calories, since walking doesn't do a whole lot of burn, but I'm going to factor some of them in and see how it affects things.
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Fruit -2
    Veggie -8
    Whole grain -4
    Dairy -2
    Meat -3oz shrimp
    Beans -2 servings
    Fats -olives
    Added sugar: yes-fat free Catalina dressing (1.5 servings)

Fiber: 51g
    Calcium: 109%
    Magnesium: 47%
    Potassium: 78%
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -6
    Veggie -3
    Whole grain -4
    Dairy -1.5
    Meat -3oz
    Nuts - 0.5
    Added sugar: yes
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I returned from a 5 day vacation and was delighted that the scale hadn’t moved at all! With open buffets all day and night, I was sure I had overindulged- I guess I didn’t- yay!!

I logged everything even thought I couldn’t weigh my portions and I walked double than I normally do at home.

Breakfast: a full dinner plate of various fruits (at least 4-6 servings) followed by 2 fried eggs and one (white flour) pancake or French toast.

Lunch: a full plate of salad and vegetables (again, at least 4-6 servings) a tiny piece of fish, approx 2-3 ounces.

Dinner: same as lunch, followed by a generous dessert.

Here and there I nibbled bites of my kids mac ‘n cheese or pizza... and I avoided alcohol. I attribute my success of maintaining my weight on vacation to a nearly endless supply of fruits and vegetables. I got very, very full at meals and didn’t snack in between. Whereas at home, I tend to graze and snack on things like nuts or peanut butter to feel full and satisfied.

And I took my blood pressure cuff along and even got some readings as low as 101/62 :)
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I was having a solid DASH/calorie intake day, then I ended up at urgent care with a family member (extended), who fell on ice and broke her wrist. My veggies and beans supper went out the window and I ended up picking up Little Caesers pizza on the way home :p Their pretzel pizza is so darn good, but ouch on calories (two slices I had equaled around 600 calories, factoring in the extra pepperoni I ate from my kid's plate lol). Ended the day a little over my calorie target -right around maintenance intake.

So today-
    fruit: 2
    veggies: 2
    whole grains: 2 + grains from the pizza
    dairy: 2 + what was on the pizza
    meat: 4oz salmon + pepperoni from the pizza
    sweets: yes-honey mustard (for fish)

Fiber: 32g

• emmamcgarity
    Options
    Oh no! I hope your family member is out of pain soon. I likely would have opted for pizza too.

I’m getting some indoor walking done right now while I roast cauliflower to go with tomato soup for my dinner.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -4
    Veggie -7
    Whole grain -2
    Dairy -1
    Meat -3oz
    Nuts - 0

FYI roasted cauliflower and tomato soup is a good combo. Never tried it before. I had bought the soup because of it’s reported potassium strategically for DASH. I bought the bag of precut cauliflower to cut down on meal prep since I tend to get more fruit than vegetable servings.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -5
    Veggie -3
    Whole grain -1
    Dairy -1.5
    Meat -3oz
    Nuts - 0

Out and about today with my teenagers and ended up eating at Chick Fil A before we go to an event at church. Most choices were very DASH friendly though I am sure the sodium is likely high. Hoping to exercise later tonight if I can fit it in and the weather agrees.