DASH Diet thread

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited February 2019
    I've only been including whole grains, but I rarely consume non whole grains. As noted above I'm not a huge grain fan, so mostly have just been switching out white pasta for whole grain or bean based, and already preferred brown rice to white.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Thanks for the input-I've been including all grains but think I'm going to start separating them.

Just added my morning cup of coffee to cron and see what Kevin was talking about in the podcasts-coffee is a nice source of potassium :)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I considered entering my coffee since I drink it black but wondered if the caffeine defeats the purpose when looking at heart health and hypertension. I’m torn. I’ll keep thinking about it. Somehow switching to decaf does not seem viable for my morning commute.
  • lemurcat2
    I'm logging one cup of coffee. I don't think there's anything negative about that much for the average person.
  • emmamcgarity
    You are probably right. My issue is likely related to me drinking too much coffee. A bit of self reflection may be required about what would be a reasonable amount of coffee for me.
  • lemurcat2
    Oh, I drink way too much coffee, I just only log one cup. ;-)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    What should I assume on weight (grams/ounces) for fruit servings? I looked up the blueberries I intend to have in a few minutes and it says ~75g is a serving.

I am not sure I will worry about vegetables since I typically eat 2-3 pounds per day. If that is not enough I am not sure what is.

Since I have been watching this thread I have come to realize that I have somehow managed fall to 3-4 servings of dairy per WEEK. I am not sure how that happened since I love cheese so much. This is one of the reasons I am interested in this. I think we, or at least I, fall into patterns without even realizing it. I am not concerned about the dairy but I find it interesting that it has happened.

It looks like I have 38g of fiber in my meal plan today. I'd like to see that a little higher but I am only going to nudge things not force them.
  • emmamcgarity
    4 ounces by volume is a fruit serving on DASH. I would imagine weights will vary based on the type of fruit. I pack my fruit and veggies in one cup plastic containers in my lunch to visualize the servings. Each container equals 2 servings. If you have ever bought the single serve applesauce containers, that is the size of a fruit serving. A string cheese is a half dairy serving. A 6 ounce yogurt is 3/4 of a full serving of dairy. An 8 ounce glass of milk is one full serving of dairy.
  • emmamcgarity
    This looks like a fun calculator for weight to volume

https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/food-weight-to-volume
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2019
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What should I assume on weight (grams/ounces) for fruit servings? I looked up the blueberries I intend to have in a few minutes and it says ~75g is a serving.

I am not sure I will worry about vegetables since I typically eat 2-3 pounds per day. If that is not enough I am not sure what is.

Since I have been watching this thread I have come to realize that I have somehow managed fall to 3-4 servings of dairy per WEEK. I am not sure how that happened since I love cheese so much. This is one of the reasons I am interested in this. I think we, or at least I, fall into patterns without even realizing it. I am not concerned about the dairy but I find it interesting that it has happened.

It looks like I have 38g of fiber in my meal plan today. I'd like to see that a little higher but I am only going to nudge things not force them.

Based on the thread where we were aiming for 10+ servings, we used 80 g as the serving size (UK standard, I guess) and I've kept doing that. I think cups are extremely annoying to deal with for solids. I use cups for dairy (except for cheese which I'm mostly trying not to use as my dairy servings, since I could easily eat too much cheese). I'm more watching calcium than actual dairy servings, though.
  • NovusDies
    I will go with the 80g since I have very little interest in measuring cups in addition to weighing food right now. Fruit is not one of my go to things but it would not hurt for me to make a little more of an effort I think. I used to do smoothies but I have gotten out of the habit.

This week my featured vegetable is radicchio. I do this often. I pick something I don't eat regularly and add it in for variety. I like it really well it is just one of those things that is not a staple.
  • lemurcat2
    That's one reason I like to log veg, I like to look and make sure I'm getting a variety and think of additional ones to add in.
  • emmamcgarity
    I picked up acorn squash this week for the potassium. I don’t know why I don’t make it more often. It’s delicious and I’m looking forward to it.
  • NovusDies
    I picked up acorn squash this week for the potassium. I don’t know why I don’t make it more often. It’s delicious and I’m looking forward to it.

If my kitchen were stocked with everything I like eating most of it would be rotting before I had a chance to get to it. I do keep butternut, spaghetti, and yellow squash in the freezer but even then it is not like I could easily incorporate one of them every week. I guess I could but I really don't want to do that much planning. I am definitely a KISS person... keep it simple stupid.

I have settled on my featured guest system for now because it works for me and I like the variety.
  • emmamcgarity
    I seem to get in the habit of the same things over and over. I like your idea of a featured vegetable
  • zeejane03
    NovusDies wrote: »

If my kitchen were stocked with everything I like eating most of it would be rotting before I had a chance to get to it. I do keep butternut, spaghetti, and yellow squash in the freezer but even then it is not like I could easily incorporate one of them every week. I guess I could but I really don't want to do that much planning. I am definitely a KISS person... keep it simple stupid.

I have settled on my featured guest system for now because it works for me and I like the variety.

I use a lot of frozen veggies (either freeze them myself or buy frozen from the store). I keep fresh salad stuff on hand but yeah, there's just not enough hours in the day to eat it all lol.
  • NovusDies
    I seem to get in the habit of the same things over and over. I like your idea of a featured vegetable

I am very repetitive but I feel like that is okay as long as my scope is not too narrow. I eat a lot of the same vegetables but there are probably 14 or 15 of them. While most of my protein comes from fish even there I usually eat 4 different sources a week and at least a dozen during the month.
  • zeejane03
    I'm also very repetitive with my veg/fruit, though I do experiment a bit more during the summer months when the farmers markets are open.
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2019
    I eat a lot of the same ones, but also a pretty good variety. For some years during the growing seasons I have gotten a box from a farm, and that taught me how to make sure I use up what I have. What that kind of means is that I will have less variety in late spring when it starts but will be mostly greens and a few other things, and then lots more variety in summer and early fall and then endless root veg and winter squash, and now I just get what I feel like from the store (both frozen and not).
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    2/4

Fruit -- 2
    Veg -- 11
    Dairy -- 2.5
    Grains & Beans- 5 (all whole grain, woot!)
    Meat (oz) -- 3oz shrimp
    Added fat -- 1: olives
    Nuts and seeds --
    Added sugar - yes: teriyaki sauce

Tracked on cron. today and realize it's going to be very challenging to hit micros with my calorie allotment. I did get 100% on calcium, but magnesium was at 62% and potassium came in at 60%, even with two cups of coffee factored in (26 ounces). I did hit 1,055% for vitamin A though lol.

Fiber: 40g
    Calories: 1,400 on the dot