DASH Diet thread

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Where do eggs fit in DASH, are they part of the meat category? If so, when I plan this out, I'll have to tweak it to add more eggs, because they are an important part of my diet and I don't believe they are problematic.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I’ve been loosely following DASH for several months to support my sister. And this is the first time I’ve actually had juice. What I do like about DASH is that you can make choices about which foods work for you to meet the goals. I have no idea where my calories will land today, but I am tweaking a little here and there to see which strategies I keep and which I drop. The experimentation is actually fun for me.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    With a focus on micronutrients today’s breakfast was a cup of Raisin Bran with a cup of skim milk, a cup of orange juice and a cup of strawberries. I’ve avoided “drinking my calories” for so long, but it feels good to add it back in for the potassium. In other news the scale was down .7 this morning. So I am less than 2 lbs from my pre-Christmas weight. So that’s nice.

Question... wouldn’t that be a lot of sugar? I was told by the hospital dietitian and all the reading I’ve done that we should keep our sugar down to 25g per day. That we would get from whole fruit. Wouldn’t the juice and raisin have a lot of sugar in them. I was told to eat the whole orange for fibre and not to drink juices which would have the equivalent of 10 oranges to get that much juice. 🤷🏻‍♀️

DASH allows for juice-if I'm remembering correctly that was actually the main fruit source during the trials (I believe it's mentioned in the first podcast?).

That doesn’t make sense to me. With the intake of added sugars in everything so high why would they promote drinking juice that can spike your blood sugar. If that’s so then this isn’t a diet for me. I want to keep my blood sugar down.

If you have a specific medical condition where you need to monitor your blood sugar, then DASH might not be the best fit. It's a plan that was created specifically for high blood pressure/hypertension, though it's also highly recommended as a well balanced, nutrient dense eating plan for those who do not have blood pressure/heart health issues. It's definitely a higher carb way of eating though, so it may not be a good fit for people with type 2 diabetes etc.

eta: edited
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Each egg counts as an ounce of meat
  • zeejane03
    Options

Yep, this :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Thanks! I could probably reduce my typical meat serving to fit in an egg here and there, but I suspect I will still end up "grandfathering in" a few extra eggs :lol:

And I agree with what you said above - DASH / MIND / Mediterranean are not rote diet plans that you must follow exactly to make them "work", or honestly I would have no interest. They are guidelines to aim for, and two people could eat really different diets and be like 90% compliant just the same. I'm sure you could eat a diabetic-appropriate DASH diet, but you would have to tweak it to honor both.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    If eggs were not allowed I would be a very unhappy person.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thanks! I could probably reduce my typical meat serving to fit in an egg here and there, but I suspect I will still end up "grandfathering in" a few extra eggs :lol:

And I agree with what you said above - DASH / MIND / Mediterranean are not rote diet plans that you must follow exactly to make them "work", or honestly I would have no interest. They are guidelines to aim for, and two people could eat really different diets and be like 90% compliant just the same. I'm sure you could eat a diabetic-appropriate DASH diet, but you would have to tweak it to honor both.

My sister is the one with high blood pressure and is 80-90% DASH compliant with good results. It was a game changer for her in that it prevented meds. For me, I think it’s a good backbone for getting proper nutrition. I will admit that I don’t pay much attention to added sugar because I like sugar. But I am finding my added sugar is less than it traditionally is without DASH simply because the volume of food is very satisfying.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your replies.👍

Right now I don’t have any major health conditions, except this excess weight 40 lbs, but at my age 61 I would like to keep it that way and not do anything that can cause a condition in the future. That’s why I’m so interested in what Dash allows for the daily sugar intake with diabetes rapidly increasing so much in the world. How to make sure I’m not eating foods that can promote it and other conditions is very important to me.
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options

Right now I don’t have any major health conditions, except this excess weight 40 lbs, but at my age 61 I would like to keep it that way and not do anything that can cause a condition in the future. That’s why I’m so interested in what Dash allows for the daily sugar intake with diabetes rapidly increasing so much in the world. How to make sure I’m not eating foods that can promote it and other conditions is very important to me.

You definitely need to do what you feel is best :)

As a sidenote-I actually used to be a prediabetic, and come from a family tree full of type 2 diabetics. Getting my prediabetic diagnosis (in my 30s), was what triggered my weight loss and after losing 50lbs I normalized my fasting glucose numbers, into the 80s. At the time of my weight loss phase I was still eating a very typical SAD diet (fast food all the time, all sorts of 'processed' foods etc). In my case it didn't matter what I was eating though, it was the excess weight that was causing my glucose numbers to go wonky.

I'm now a few years into maintaining and in that time I've experimented with numerous ways of eating (it helps stave off boredom in maintenance for me). I get twice a year blood work/health screenings, and the data shows that it hasn't mattered what I'm eating-my weight, and being at the lower end of the healthy BMI scale, is what regulates my glucose number.

It really is crazy what excess weight can do to our health, I think more than we even know at this point!

• emmamcgarity
    edited February 2019
    Options
    FWIW I am 51 and have no medical conditions that would require me to watch my sugar intake. Back in the day I did WW with a focus on their “Good Health Guidelines” which are pretty similar to DASH. But WW encouraged whole grains where DASH requires specific servings of whole grains. If I remember correctly the n=1 podcast talked about scaling the servings based on calories.

I’ll be having a baked potato at lunch for the potassium as well. Plain Greek Yogurt in lieu of sour cream and reduced fat cheese. I really have no idea where my micronutrients will land today. But the weekend is a good time to experiment

Edited for spelling errors... sigh
  • zeejane03
    Options
    FWIW I am 51 and have no medical conditions that would require me to watch my sugar intake. Back in the day I did WW with a focus on their “Good Health Guidelines” which are pretty similar to DASH. But WW encouraged whole grains where DASH requires specific servings of whole grains. If I remember correctly the n=1 podcast talked about scaling the servings based on calories.

I’ll be having a baked potato at lunch for the potassium as well. Plain Greek Yogurt in lieu of sour cream and reduced fat cheese. I really have no idea where my micronutrients will land today. But the weekend is a good time to experiment

Edited for spelling errors... sigh

The weekends are definitely a bit more 'loosey goosey' for me-I'm trying to figure how to categorize the chipotle sauce I got on my Subway sub right now :D I intentionally got a veggie sub though, because of DASH (a footlong), so I could count it for 2 servings of veggies lol.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

You definitely need to do what you feel is best :)

As a sidenote-I actually used to be a prediabetic, and come from a family tree full of type 2 diabetics. Getting my prediabetic diagnosis (in my 30s), was what triggered my weight loss and after losing 50lbs I normalized my fasting glucose numbers, into the 80s. At the time of my weight loss phase I was still eating a very typical SAD diet (fast food all the time, all sorts of 'processed' foods etc). In my case it didn't matter what I was eating though, it was the excess weight that was causing my glucose numbers to go wonky.

I'm now a few years into maintaining and in that time I've experimented with numerous ways of eating (it helps stave off boredom in maintenance for me). I get twice a year blood work/health screenings, and the data shows that it hasn't mattered what I'm eating-my weight, and being at the lower end of the healthy BMI scale, is what regulates my glucose number.

It really is crazy what excess weight can do to our health, I think more than we even know at this point!

I really agree with you about what excess weight does to our health and how carrying it around wears down our joints. Look at how many knee and hip replacements are being preform.

That’s why CICO is so important and to make sure we eat the most nutritious foods for fueling our bodies.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Was the chipotle sauce a mayo texture? One Tbsp of low fat mayo is counted as a fat serving.

My potato plan was ditched due to lack of supplies (we’re out of potatoes). Oh well...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    With a focus on micronutrients today’s breakfast was a cup of Raisin Bran with a cup of skim milk, a cup of orange juice and a cup of strawberries. I’ve avoided “drinking my calories” for so long, but it feels good to add it back in for the potassium. In other news the scale was down .7 this morning. So I am less than 2 lbs from my pre-Christmas weight. So that’s nice.

Question... wouldn’t that be a lot of sugar? I was told by the hospital dietitian and all the reading I’ve done that we should keep our sugar down to 25g per day. That we would get from whole fruit. Wouldn’t the juice and raisin have a lot of sugar in them. I was told to eat the whole orange for fibre and not to drink juices which would have the equivalent of 10 oranges to get that much juice. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Normally a 25 g limit would be for added sugar. I have seen NOTHING credible that suggests a reason to limit intrinsic sugar. I don't consume juice often because I don't find it filling, but I see no other reason to avoid juice for health reasons.

DASH does not limit intrinsic sugar or juice (except consuming lots of juice may make it tough to hit the fiber goal).
  • lemurcat2
    Options

DASH allows for juice-if I'm remembering correctly that was actually the main fruit source during the trials (I believe it's mentioned in the first podcast?).

That doesn’t make sense to me. With the intake of added sugars in everything so high why would they promote drinking juice that can spike your blood sugar. If that’s so then this isn’t a diet for me. I want to keep my blood sugar down.

DASH isn't specifically for T2D or IR, and most people have no issues with blood sugar. You don't have to consume juice, but it doesn't forbid it. It focuses more on micronutrients.
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Where do eggs fit in DASH, are they part of the meat category? If so, when I plan this out, I'll have to tweak it to add more eggs, because they are an important part of my diet and I don't believe they are problematic.

Yeah, eggs each count as a oz of meat (and I see others covered that first!).
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    For some reason I thought the podcast mentioned 50 g of fiber but all the documentation seems to point to 30 g of fiber. Does anyone have a source for the 50 g reference?
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -- 5
    Veg -- 3
    Dairy -- 2.5
    Whole grains - 5
    Meat -- 3 oz
    Added fat -- 0
    Nuts and seeds -- 0
    Added sugar - yes

My fiber landed at 34. I am annoyed that some items I had did not report potassium.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    If whole foods, make sure you choose the USDA entries, they have potassium.