Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pioneer Woman

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I think all the controversy is not about gaining weight but is all this comfort food.oil.fat really good for heart/health

Are you suggesting comfort food can't fit into an overall healthy diet? PW has several recipes our family enjoys, but it's not like we're going to eat like that every day, nor do I think anyone is suggesting we should.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    Since pretty much everything seems fair game here, can I just share a pet peeve? I really hate websites, of which PW is a prime example, that make you scroll through 100 pictures documenting each step (yes, I know what sauteing onions looks like) to get to the recipe. I mean, if it's a little-known technique, or providing an example of how something should look at a critical stage, I can understand that, but a photo of each addition?

Is it just me?

Oh, not only that, but there's the long-winded narrative about the "journey" behind the creation of the recipe.

I am very thankful for blogs that include a "jump to recipe" button at the top of the page.
  • try2again
    Since pretty much everything seems fair game here, can I just share a pet peeve? I really hate websites, of which PW is a prime example, that make you scroll through 100 pictures documenting each step (yes, I know what sauteing onions looks like) to get to the recipe. I mean, if it's a little-known technique, or providing an example of how something should look at a critical stage, I can understand that, but a photo of each addition?

Is it just me?

heh. The more time you spend on their website, the more revenue they can generate.

Plus, you know there's someone out there saying, "How do you saute onions? I need a pic!" :cry:

Ah... of course. Hadn't thought of that.

Unfortunately, in my case that backfires... I'm much less likely to spend time browsing on a website if I have to sift through a bunch of unnecessary pictures or ads.
  • try2again

Is it just me?

Oh, not only that, but there's the long-winded narrative about the "journey" behind the creation of the recipe.

I am very thankful for blogs that include a "jump to recipe" button at the top of the page.

Lol... yes! Just because I want an apple pie recipe doesn't mean I want to hear about the family's weekend trip to the apple orchard, how beautiful the leaves were, and how much fun the kids had ;)
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member

Is it just me?

Count me in for being annoyed by it, too. I just want the recipe! However, I understand why they do it. The narrative contains all kinds of juicy keywords that make it easier for Google to find the page (search engine optimization, or SEO).
  • hrafnkat
    hrafnkat Posts: 10 Member
    Pioneer Woman's overdone "folksiness" annoys me, but her recipe for baked beans is actually delicious. I have made it many times, and have not found another recipe that measures up.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/the-best-baked-beans-ever/
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member

Is it just me?

Lol... yes! Just because I want an apple pie recipe doesn't mean I want to hear about the family's weekend trip to the apple orchard, how beautiful the leaves were, and how much fun the kids had ;)

Oh that's so funny.....I couldn't be doing with that either, that's why I like the BBC Good Food website .....you just get the Chef, the ingredients and the method with one photo of the completed dish and a printable version....magic!
  • suziecue25
    I think I'm like quite a lot of people in that I've got cookbooks I've read and never used eg a beautiful Mediterranean Cookbook someone bought me......recipe - take one goat and marinade for 3 days!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    I think I'm like quite a lot of people in that I've got cookbooks I've read and never used eg a beautiful Mediterranean Cookbook someone bought me......recipe - take one goat and marinade for 3 days!

Me too.

For example, I have some Fuchsia Dunlop ones about the cuisine of different parts of China that are beautiful and interesting, but actually finding the ingredients and trying to do them justice at all always seems too much work.

I mostly use cookbooks for inspiration and ideas, however.
  • suziecue25
    edited January 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    suziecue25 wrote: »

Me too.

For example, I have some Fuchsia Dunlop ones about the cuisine of different parts of China that are beautiful and interesting, but actually finding the ingredients and trying to do them justice at all always seems too much work.

I mostly use cookbooks for inspiration and ideas, however.

One of my daughters has to travel to China mainland several times a year on business and tells me the food Chinese people eat is nothing like we get in UK [and probably USA}. She likes the food, except that it is the same format for breakfast, lunch and dinner lol

Edit: To clarify I mean UK and USA Chinese Takeaways, restaurants etc.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I think all the controversy is not about gaining weight but is all this comfort food.oil.fat really good for heart/health

Hmmm...you must not be a keto advocate :)

I have a "Joy of Cooking" that my sister-in-law gave me at my bridal shower 47 years ago. It's like the second edition and OMG all the fat, oil and cream! Lavish use of lard, suggested menus are staggeringly high-calorie, I don't think there's any recipe in there that has low-fat options.

Fast forward to the 2000's when I gave my girls the book at their bridal showers - so much difference! A lot of the recipes are changed to lower-fat and/or lower calorie in cases where using the higher fat/calorie ingredients really doesn't make a difference to quality, and more lower calorie recipes. Cooking methods have changed somewhat too, it was really interesting to see how well the book has been able to keep up with changing nutrition knowledge and still retain it's appeal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Is it just me?

But that's the whole point of a blog...there are plenty of sites with just the recipe...but bloggers are going to write.