Pioneer Woman

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    @suziecue25 I haven't watched The Pioneer Woman. But I do watch other shows with "heavy" cooking. And never make those recipes. I just like watching cooking shows lol.

Honestly I still wonder what you said that had people fly off the handle. If I saw a parent smoking inside their car with a kid inside I'll think something about it. How would that be smoke shaming the kid, I don't know.

Anyway MFP is very PC and not the place to vent about real (or fake TV) life. (although I still don't see what you said that was fat shaming)

Someone smoking in a closed car with a child is objectively harmful to the child. We have multiple studies over years confirming that second-hand smoke is dangerous for everyone, especially children. Someone witnessing this situation in real-time may be able to help.

The situation here was someone thinking that a child's face looked bigger than she thought it should six years ago and concluding that pasta and cheese should be withheld from him as a result. Not only is the person making the observation without the ability to assist directly, the very forces of time are arrayed against anyone who wants to smack a bowl of mac and cheese out of tiny Bryce Drummond's hands as he is now almost a legal adult.

Two very, very different situations.

(Please don't be inspired, anyone, to build a time machine to grab mac and cheese from the Drummond children, we have no idea what terrible consequences may result).

Oh dear.... I can see that after all you had no idea what I was talking about. It certainly is not my fault that this programme is in a time warp in UK.

I knew perfectly well what you were talking about. You were under the impression that the person in question was about ten years old. Since I've seen recent episodes of the show, I knew that he wasn't. My comments about time were a bit of silliness based on your mistaken impression, I apologize if they didn't make sense.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Well, I was disappointed when I came into this thread, I followed Ree before she was famous. Read her blog, get to know who she is. She lives on a farm, they are pretty active. I don't know, this was a disappointing thread.

Out of curiosity, what, specifically, was disappointing about it, and how do you envision your post raising the awesomeness level?

For example, since you have followed her for so many years, we would be interested to hear how you have been influenced by her.

Personally, I think it’s one of the more engaging threads going right now (great job OP!) but alas, it probably has a hard time standing up to the excitement of, say, the chit chat threads.

What was disappointing? I was expecting to come here to discuss her site, or her as a person, not to come in here and see the hate of her recipes. Sure, she is a comfort cooking, sure that is why many of us are here. Following her, for many years there is more to her than her cooking. She's really a down to earth sweet lady who LOVES her family more than anything. She has put herself in the spotlight and sure, people will judge her because of that. I can cook some of the fattiest comfort foods that will make a very healthy, healthy nut cringe, doesn't mean that's how we eat every day. I've won cooking contests for some of my fattiest cooking. It doesn't mean I eat it or even cook it all the time.

Why judge her though? I was a fat kid, I was the unpopular one, was the weirdo, I still am the weirdo and unpopular person. I don't really care, I am who I am. She inspired me to love cooking, She inspired to take her recipes and try to find a healthy way to recreate them. I have done so many times. I honestly love her blog a lot more than her TV show.

Chit-chat threads, I post there because I'm bored lol. Most of them don't like me, but I don't care. I still post where ever I feel like it.

Okay, but there are lots of people here who aren't expressing hatred for her or her recipes, there are even some people who have posted links to her recipes and said they wanted to try them. Why just focus on the negative posts?
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @ janejellyroll......That's the trouble with forums sometimes, it's easy for anybody to get hold of the wrong end of the stick....thanks for bothering to explain.

Edited
  • suziecue25
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    My wife and I watched some PW on youtube last night.

I might be in trouble :p That's some good cooking right there...

Why would you get in trouble?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Tongue in cheek. :) My wife is already an incredible cook, but my arguments with myself over portion control have become quite the source of amusement for my family. :)
  • suziecue25
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what 'The Old House' show has to do with food?

It's kind of like a book group, where we started talking about the book, but we've also had some cheese and a couple of glasses of wine, so we're talking about everything except the book now. (Even though it was an excellent book/topic). :D WE ARE OUT OF CONTROL!

Ha ha, that makes excellent sense lol
  • suziecue25
    Options

Tongue in cheek. :) My wife is already an incredible cook, but my arguments with myself over portion control have become quite the source of amusement for my family. :)

LOL :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Don't you think whether one generation is more sedentary than another depends on geography? If you live in NYC, you probably walk a lot, and that probably hasn't changed much. I grew up ranching cattle in WTX, and those folk are pretty active, too. Two of my 3 daughters were more active in their teenage years than I was. I think its hard to draw sweeping conclusions about generational activity. I acknowledge we clearly have more screen time (more screens). And clearly we're eating more. But activity & engagement IRL, not so clear.

Ann was talking about "on average."

There are obviously exceptions (I live in a big city and walk more than average and, yes, some people have active jobs), but on average people have more sedentary jobs than before, and less activity is needed in day to day life.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @debrakgoogins VERY funny. Even more so because you were responding to a question by OP who didn't fully get how her topic got that out of hand.

@smolmaus I've seen the season 6 winner doing guest appearances on other shows. I'll see if I can find some of her shows.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    @debrakgoogins VERY funny. Even more so because you were responding to a question by OP who didn't fully get how her topic got that out of hand.

@smolmaus I've seen the season 6 winner doing guest appearances on other shows. I'll see if I can find some of her shows.

But don't tell us who won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For pinup
    tumblr_n7n8u8pAS81ttjwiao1_250.gif

:love:
  • suziecue25
    Options

I knew exactly how far things had digressed.......I'm not as green as I'm cabbage looking ;)
  • suziecue25
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what 'The Old House' show has to do with food?

It's kind of like a book group, where we started talking about the book, but we've also had some cheese and a couple of glasses of wine, so we're talking about everything except the book now. (Even though it was an excellent book/topic). :D WE ARE OUT OF CONTROL!

It's not fully into thread drift until the kitten gifs appear :lol:

I'm beginning to get the drift of how things work :D

Seriously, congrats on starting a fun thread that led to a lot of back and forth discussion! They don't all go this well :)

:)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I was going to comment about the Pioneer Woman but now I have no idea what is currently being discussed lol

I use a couple of her recipes but haven't explored too much. She doesn't really seem that special. I looked up her chicken quesadilla recipe and it wasn't much of a recipe. She used a packet of taco seasoning to season the chicken LOL. Then you put it in a tortilla with cheese. Yep.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I think all the controversy is not about gaining weight but is all this comfort food.oil.fat really good for heart/health