Pioneer Woman

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Since pretty much everything seems fair game here, can I just share a pet peeve? I really hate websites, of which PW is a prime example, that make you scroll through 100 pictures documenting each step (yes, I know what sauteing onions looks like) to get to the recipe. I mean, if it's a little-known technique, or providing an example of how something should look at a critical stage, I can understand that, but a photo of each addition?

Is it just me?

Oh, not only that, but there's the long-winded narrative about the "journey" behind the creation of the recipe.

I am very thankful for blogs that include a "jump to recipe" button at the top of the page.

Lol... yes! Just because I want an apple pie recipe doesn't mean I want to hear about the family's weekend trip to the apple orchard, how beautiful the leaves were, and how much fun the kids had ;)

But that's the whole point of a blog...there are plenty of sites with just the recipe...but bloggers are going to write.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Since pretty much everything seems fair game here, can I just share a pet peeve? I really hate websites, of which PW is a prime example, that make you scroll through 100 pictures documenting each step (yes, I know what sauteing onions looks like) to get to the recipe. I mean, if it's a little-known technique, or providing an example of how something should look at a critical stage, I can understand that, but a photo of each addition?

Is it just me?

Oh, not only that, but there's the long-winded narrative about the "journey" behind the creation of the recipe.

I am very thankful for blogs that include a "jump to recipe" button at the top of the page.

Lol... yes! Just because I want an apple pie recipe doesn't mean I want to hear about the family's weekend trip to the apple orchard, how beautiful the leaves were, and how much fun the kids had ;)

But that's the whole point of a blog...there are plenty of sites with just the recipe...but bloggers are going to write.

I just come for the recipes ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I think all the controversy is not about gaining weight but is all this comfort food.oil.fat really good for heart/health

Hmmm...you must not be a keto advocate :)

I have a "Joy of Cooking" that my sister-in-law gave me at my bridal shower 47 years ago. It's like the second edition and OMG all the fat, oil and cream! Lavish use of lard, suggested menus are staggeringly high-calorie, I don't think there's any recipe in there that has low-fat options.

Fast forward to the 2000's when I gave my girls the book at their bridal showers - so much difference! A lot of the recipes are changed to lower-fat and/or lower calorie in cases where using the higher fat/calorie ingredients really doesn't make a difference to quality, and more lower calorie recipes. Cooking methods have changed somewhat too, it was really interesting to see how well the book has been able to keep up with changing nutrition knowledge and still retain it's appeal.

Each new "Joy of Cooking" has become my new favorite :)

I do miss those illustrations of dainty feminine hands though :lol:

I'm on email lists for recipes from multiple sites and frequently decide that while that looks good, to use the JOC version instead - I'm using the emails more of a "Look this up in JOC" prompt than anything else.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options

Is it just me?

<Look out: Joke-y comment coming!!!>

Or, maybe I was right, and it's really mostly about watching.

;););););) <== Winkies!

;);););););););););) <== More winkies!

Are we good? I hope so! :drinker:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Is it just me?

Annoys the heck out of me as well. I don't mind reading it while I am considering the recipe, but if I am going to be using my phone for making the recipe, I don't want to be doing all that scrolling to get to it. "Jump to recipe" links should be mandatory >.<
  • try2again
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Is it just me?

<Look out: Joke-y comment coming!!!>

Or, maybe I was right, and it's really mostly about watching.

;););););) <== Winkies!

;);););););););););) <== More winkies!

Are we good? I hope so! :drinker:

Yeah, but this isn't even watching... it's still photos of a tsp of garlic in a pan :/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options

Is it just me?

Across genres, there is a vein of bloggers (who sometimes also become TV personalities) who have a lot of "beautiful, gracious and admirable life" aspirational (?) content that's only marginally related to the core subject, if
    that core subject were to be taken as instructional in intent.

I do see it in cooking, as here - that "lifestyle" dimension, the carefully-curated image; but also in crafts that interest me.

For a specific example, some of the jewelry making or visual/art journaling and other mixed-media arts blogs are pretty nuts'n'bolts, showing some photos of finished work, some notes on the thoughts behind the specific work or the techniques employed, and the occasional free tutorial or technique video (plus links to stuff you can buy, usually ;) ).

Other sites are very full of effusive prose about mystical creativity, and inspiration photos of stuff from the blogger's daily meditative nature walk, pictures of the adorable and accomplished family doing lovely things, and a small amount of more concrete "here's my work" and "here's how to do X" content (all of that surrounded by artsily-arranged studio photos, and sunshine coming through the stained glass piece "my dear friend Beth (here's her etsy page) made for my 40th birthday celebration" onto the piece of art/craft work that's the putative subject.

To a certain extent, I think we're intended to think of these very much constructed public images as our friends, and to sort of create a community (or more cynically, cult of personality) around them. I see this somewhat in my mixed-media arts friends, who gossip about their favorite bloggers as if they were a personal friend in common, "get together" in groups to do projects "with" the blogger on video, buy all the blogger's new supplies demonstrated in said video, go to their live classes when the blogger travels, and that sort of thing. It's as if the person were the alpha person in a real-world social group, but without the exposure to the person's flaws that might be evident in real life (unless they really as a perfect as the blog would have us believe, of course).

In a way, I feel like Martha Stewart and maybe Oprah were early standard-bearers for this sort of thing, but now there are specialized cases in lots of niches.

Yeah, cynical again.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    I think I'm like quite a lot of people in that I've got cookbooks I've read and never used eg a beautiful Mediterranean Cookbook someone bought me......recipe - take one goat and marinade for 3 days!

I cook goat off and on. There is really no reason to marinate it for an extended period of time. It does respond well to brining but that would still not take 3 days. Was the recipe some kind of curing process?

I regret that I can only hug you for this, and not also insightful, inspiring, and like it.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think I'm like quite a lot of people in that I've got cookbooks I've read and never used eg a beautiful Mediterranean Cookbook someone bought me......recipe - take one goat and marinade for 3 days!

I cook goat off and on. There is really no reason to marinate it for an extended period of time. It does respond well to brining but that would still not take 3 days. Was the recipe some kind of curing process?

I think the cookbook is in the attic now but I do remember that one was supposed to start with a whole goat carcass and marinade it in a mixture of things for 3 whole days...... I kid you not my kitchen is not big enough to cope with a whole goat.

• try2again
    Options

Love that this got a woo... someone must be questioning your brining expertise.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Me too.

For example, I have some Fuchsia Dunlop ones about the cuisine of different parts of China that are beautiful and interesting, but actually finding the ingredients and trying to do them justice at all always seems too much work.

I mostly use cookbooks for inspiration and ideas, however.

Yeah this is why I almost always buy cookbooks in stores instead of online. I need to be able to browse the recipes to, at the very least, see if I'd actually like a good chunk of them (this is actually why I don't buy knitting books anymore and the same thing I do with quilting books). I typically don't have a lot of trouble getting ingredients (with some frustrating exceptions), but I've definitely looked through cookbooks that look interesting upon first glance, but are ones I would get no real use out of if I bought them.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Is it just me?

Across genres, there is a vein of bloggers (who sometimes also become TV personalities) who have a lot of "beautiful, gracious and admirable life" aspirational (?) content that's only marginally related to the core subject, if
    that core subject were to be taken as instructional in intent.

I do see it in cooking, as here - that "lifestyle" dimension, the carefully-curated image; but also in crafts that interest me.

For a specific example, some of the jewelry making or visual/art journaling and other mixed-media arts blogs are pretty nuts'n'bolts, showing some photos of finished work, some notes on the thoughts behind the specific work or the techniques employed, and the occasional free tutorial or technique video (plus links to stuff you can buy, usually ;) ).

Other sites are very full of effusive prose about mystical creativity, and inspiration photos of stuff from the blogger's daily meditative nature walk, pictures of the adorable and accomplished family doing lovely things, and a small amount of more concrete "here's my work" and "here's how to do X" content (all of that surrounded by artsily-arranged studio photos, and sunshine coming through the stained glass piece "my dear friend Beth (here's her etsy page) made for my 40th birthday celebration" onto the piece of art/craft work that's the putative subject.

To a certain extent, I think we're intended to think of these very much constructed public images as our friends, and to sort of create a community (or more cynically, cult of personality) around them. I see this somewhat in my mixed-media arts friends, who gossip about their favorite bloggers as if they were a personal friend in common, "get together" in groups to do projects "with" the blogger on video, buy all the blogger's new supplies demonstrated in said video, go to their live classes when the blogger travels, and that sort of thing. It's as if the person were the alpha person in a real-world social group, but without the exposure to the person's flaws that might be evident in real life (unless they really as a perfect as the blog would have us believe, of course).

In a way, I feel like Martha Stewart and maybe Oprah were early standard-bearers for this sort of thing, but now there are specialized cases in lots of niches.

Yeah, cynical again.

I don't think you're being cynical, I think you're describing a real-life thing: parasocial relationships.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    hrafnkat wrote: »
    Pioneer Woman's overdone "folksiness" annoys me, but her recipe for baked beans is actually delicious. I have made it many times, and have not found another recipe that measures up.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/the-best-baked-beans-ever/

"Here, start by using all these lovely fresh ingredients like onion, bacon and pepper. Then halfway through, add a couple cans of prepared Pork N Beans..."

How is that a recipe for homemade baked beans? That's cheating!!!:lol:

p.s. @AnnPT77 loved your winky post. :wink:

• hrafnkat
    hrafnkat Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Pioneer Woman's overdone "folksiness" annoys me, but her recipe for baked beans is actually delicious. I have made it many times, and have not found another recipe that measures up.

"Here, start by using all these lovely fresh ingredients like onion, bacon and pepper. Then halfway through, add a couple cans of prepared Pork N Beans..."

Oh, it's definitely, 100% cheating! But the end result is amazing, and far tastier than you would guess from a tin of pork-n-beans. I add chopped-up cooked bacon to the beans mixture as well, not just on top (and skip the bell pepper, but that's just my personal preference). Mmm. Now I'm hungry!

I've tried making baked beans from dried beans, and it never comes out quite as well. Maybe I am just not a good enough cook to pull it off. :lol:
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    @suziecue25 I take it you are not into bread making? I have tried sourdough starter in vain. 10 day endeavor. However I successfully managed to ferment cabbage (one week).

@pinuplove Yay! Another Chef John fan! I Watch his YouTube channel but I haven't quite managed to navigate his blog. Too confusing.

@French_Peasant I do love sharing food. I guess if I had a husband I'd like to cook his favorites once in a while. Most of the cookies and breads I bake are for that. Someone mentionned earlier that's also Mary Berry's philosophy - taste a bit, share a lot. At 200+ lbs I think I still taste too much and don't share enough :smile:

GBBO fan all the way. The cookbook I use the most is Paul Hollywood's How To Bake.

Yeah, I don't generally make his favorite cookies (plain oatmeal)....love can only go so far. I make MY favorite cookies, which overlaps with the kids' favorites (Neiman Marcus for my daughter, snickerdoodles for my son, and thumbprint just for me), and that gets me in a lot of trouble.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options

Oh, it's definitely, 100% cheating! But the end result is amazing, and far tastier than you would guess from a tin of pork-n-beans. I add chopped-up cooked bacon to the beans mixture as well, not just on top (and skip the bell pepper, but that's just my personal preference). Mmm. Now I'm hungry!

I've tried making baked beans from dried beans, and it never comes out quite as well. Maybe I am just not a good enough cook to pull it off. :lol:

...and it's Pam Anderson's recipe. Double Cheater!!

yeah, it's hard to get homemade from dried beans to be as tasty as Pork N Beans. Must be the cauldrons they use over at Van Camps.

tenor.gif?itemid=9460762

*waves @pinuplove

• try2again
    Options

Every time I've been determined to be "authentic" and use dried beans for a recipe, I've been disappointed. I just like the reliable, consistent texture of a good old canned bean! And my mom's baked bean recipe (truly the best, though I haven't seen PW's- maybe they're similar) also started with canned pork & beans. :)
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    @suziecue25 I take it you are not into bread making? I have tried sourdough starter in vain. 10 day endeavor. However I successfully managed to ferment cabbage (one week).

@pinuplove Yay! Another Chef John fan! I Watch his YouTube channel but I haven't quite managed to navigate his blog. Too confusing.

@French_Peasant I do love sharing food. I guess if I had a husband I'd like to cook his favorites once in a while. Most of the cookies and breads I bake are for that. Someone mentionned earlier that's also Mary Berry's philosophy - taste a bit, share a lot. At 200+ lbs I think I still taste too much and don't share enough :smile:

GBBO fan all the way. The cookbook I use the most is Paul Hollywood's How To Bake.

No I'm not much of a baker and don't make bread but because we had a glut of good apples this year I made an Apple, Ginger & Honey cake from a Waitrose supermarket recipe which the family raved about....I had to make them all one. I really like sauerkraut but have only had it in Germany.

ml0i6ofpngea.png