Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet -pros and cons

Options
Hi,
I’m looking to lose around 40-50 pounds. Currently , I am watching my caloric intake. Meaning, I eat foods that I like, just count my Calories and stick to my daily allowance. I’ve heard mixed reviews on the Keto diet. What are the long term effects? For those have done Keto, is it hard to stay consistent? Those who aren’t on the Keto diet, what works for you? Any pros vs cons on this diet would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    I never did keto (I don’t think that it was around 9 years go), and I am not planning to follow that diet anytime soon either. Not only because I am already in maintenance, but because I don’t like the food limitations that the diet requires.

I don’t feel good with too much fat (Keto) just like I don’t feel good with too many carbs. I need to keep a balance, and I do better when my carbs and protein are around the 35% level for both, and fat is about 30%.

I like fruits and vegetables (fiber), and I enjoy yogurt and cheese; and even when I don’t eat pasta or a lot of deserts, and I eat potatoes, beans and rice on occasion, I still want to have the flexibility to enjoy them if I want to. I don’t care for any diet that restricts foods and nutrients, unless it is for medical reasons.

• Pjay70
    Pjay70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suggest intermittent fasting or time restricted eating. Both can be done with eating what you are eating now. It focuses on when you eat (such as skipping breakfast, only eating in a certain window of time, and/or ending earlier in the day) and why these things work. It may or may not be for you. Only one way to find out.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Keto doesn’t work for me. It’s far too restrictive, I feel hungry all the time on it, and for some reason my anxiety really spikes. Basically, the couple times I tried it I was completely miserable.

It works great for some people but I prefer a less restrictive approach.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I never did keto (I don’t think that it was around 9 years go), and I am not planning to follow that diet anytime soon either. Not only because I am already in maintenance, but because I don’t like the food limitations that the diet requires.

I don’t feel good with too much fat (Keto) just like I don’t feel good with too many carbs. I need to keep a balance, and I do better when my carbs and protein are around the 35% level for both, and fat is about 30%.

I like fruits and vegetables (fiber), and I enjoy yogurt and cheese; and even when I don’t eat pasta or a lot of deserts, and I eat potatoes, beans and rice on occasion, I still want to have the flexibility to enjoy them if I want to. I don’t care for any diet that restricts foods and nutrients, unless it is for medical reasons.

Keto has been around since the 1920's. Initially a diet for people with epilepsy. Medicines at that time were less effective than now.

Not for me. Basically if I won't do it forever, I won't do it to lose weight.