Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    leiflung wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    As I said either upthread or in the other quite similar thread, I think keto mostly works because people change their diet a lot, can't eat the foods they used to overeat and feel like they have a positive (special) way of eating that helps with motivation (it's almost like being into a conspiracy theory where one feels like one knows things the average person does not), because for some (not all) very low carb kills appetite, because boredom is prevented by the excitement of a new way of eating and new things to try (therefore, fat bombs, various "hacks" like coconut oil coffee, ugh), and -- most of all -- because they assume that standard dieting involves cutting out everything and eating a boring diet and low cals, and keto lets you feel decadent and diet while eating cheese and bacon (and if you want eschewing veg, since sadly many people barely eat veg however they eat).

Are you aware of how condescending this story you're telling yourself is? Or are you okay with it?

A great many people who do keto find an increase in focus, mental clarity, mood stabilization, energy stabilization, and clearer skin. Many keto people I speak to say they find their PCOS symptoms all but vanish on this diet.

There are tons of people who do this WOE who aren't concerned about their weight at all.

A lot of people simply feel much better on this diet.

And that might contribute to weight loss, don't you think?

Maybe you could add that to your list somewhere between you thinking we just want to feel special and you thinking we don't understand how standard dieting works.

It is amazing how many Keto people you must know to make these claims.

I don't really understand why some of you have to oversell this WoE with all this exaggerated language.

If you reach your quota of recruits you get a toaster oven. Allegedly.

What ketogenic recipes are good in a toaster oven?
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    As I said either upthread or in the other quite similar thread, I think keto mostly works because people change their diet a lot, can't eat the foods they used to overeat and feel like they have a positive (special) way of eating that helps with motivation (it's almost like being into a conspiracy theory where one feels like one knows things the average person does not), because for some (not all) very low carb kills appetite, because boredom is prevented by the excitement of a new way of eating and new things to try (therefore, fat bombs, various "hacks" like coconut oil coffee, ugh), and -- most of all -- because they assume that standard dieting involves cutting out everything and eating a boring diet and low cals, and keto lets you feel decadent and diet while eating cheese and bacon (and if you want eschewing veg, since sadly many people barely eat veg however they eat).

Are you aware of how condescending this story you're telling yourself is? Or are you okay with it?

A great many people who do keto find an increase in focus, mental clarity, mood stabilization, energy stabilization, and clearer skin. Many keto people I speak to say they find their PCOS symptoms all but vanish on this diet.

There are tons of people who do this WOE who aren't concerned about their weight at all.

Maybe you could add that to your list somewhere between you thinking we just want to feel special and you thinking we don't understand how standard dieting works.

I don't really understand why some of you have to oversell this WoE with all this exaggerated language.

Well that's exactly why they're giving them away.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you make a batch of fathead pizza crusts small enough, then freeze them, the toaster would be a fine way of reheating them.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Bacon egg and cheese frittata?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

qCw2Vic.jpg

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

What is standard keto? And according to whom?
    In "The Ketogenic Diet", Lyle MacDonald uses the term Standard Keto Diet (SKD) to refer to what people ordinarily think of when they hear "Keto", i.e., low carb, medium to high protein, medium to high fat dietary patterns (Lyle MacDonald, "The Ketogenic Diet", p. 100; see e.g., op. cit., Chap. 9 "The Standard Ketogenic Diet") and to distinguish it from other ketogenic dietary protocols, such as Targeted Keto Diet (TKD) and Cyclical Keto Diet (CKD).

(In his online lectures, Stephen Phinney uses "Well Formed Ketogenic Diet" to denote the same thing.)

• kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    For me i tried it and it wasnt sustainable for MY lifestyle. It was tiring, time consuming and expensive at times. I lost weight on it and put it all back on plus some (im italian, my Nonna is carb queen and you can NEVER say no to a nonna lol) Mfp has sincerely been the ONLY weight loss journey im committed to. Ive tried everything! I can eat what i want, when i want as long as its within my deficit. CICO every single time. These forums help me tremendously, thanks to everyone that posts
  • X5452JONDY
    X5452JONDY Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sandeeng84 wrote: »
    Thinking of trying keto diet short term 2/3 months only. Do’s? Don’t’s? Pros? Cons? Rules? What Not to eat? What to eat? Include calorie counting? Heard its low carb high fat but can’t eat much fruit due to the amount of sugar that can turn to carbs. All advice greatly appreciated please. Thanks in advance

You will gain it all back and then some.
    I lost 25 pounds and once i stopped i gained 50. Tried it again lost and when i stopped gained double. That is even with me keeping my carbs below 50 when i stopped. It is not a short term diet, its a lifestyle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just to point out, any diet can be short or long term. As long as you have a transition plan and follow that plan, you will be fine. It's when you follow a strict diet for long periods of time and then say *kitten* it and go ape *kitten*. There are many of us who use various diet strategies while cutting weight and others for maintenance.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree. All diets stop working when you sop doing them.

If you stop showering, you'll stop being clean. If you stop exercising, you'll stop being fit. If you stop a diet, you'll lose those benefits too if you go back to not watching what you eat.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I agree. All diets stop working when you sop doing them.

If you stop showering, you'll stop being clean. If you stop exercising, you'll stop being fit. If you stop a diet, you'll lose those benefits too if you go back to not watching what you eat.

I think I've known of both Ketoers and Vegans to claim that isn't true when you follow their diet.