Less Alcohol - February 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    So I made it through January - the longest, coldest, darkest month - sans booze. And I'm really proud of myself for it. But I'm not proud that I drank yesterday (about 5 or 6 drinks) just because it was February 1. In any case, man did I feel it today. I haven't had a headache that bad in ages.

I treated it sort of as an experiment. I kept a diary of how I felt throughout January and wanted to compare it to how I felt today, the day after drinking. In summary, Saturday mornings are soooooo muuuuuuch betteeeeeeeer without a hangover. Which isn't rocket science, but I am happy for the reminder.

I've got a few occasions coming up this month where I will plan to have no more than a few drinks. Target is 5 days (or less) over the next three weeks (we're going to an all-inclusive on Feb 23 so I'll cross that bridge when I get there).
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    Options
    Today I plan to have my first AF day. I’m setting my goals ‘low’ at first as I am making big lifestyle changes between what I eat, what I drink (or don’t drink), and how much I move. Trying to replace my after work drink routine with gym time and/or cooking a nice meal time.

So I think I’ll try AF today, one Af day this coming week, then increase to 2 next week, then 3,then 4. Ultimate goal - only drink 1 or no days per week, unless there’s a super special occasion and then limit what I have.

I’m tired of feeling yucky and cloudy headed :( And now that I’m logging, I have WAY too many calories from alcohol. One draft beer can be over 200in itself! Yeesh.

Yes, I started slowly too. When I signed up for MFP I had drinks every single day for 6 months. It became an after work habit to be sure. I started with 2 AF days the first week -- and it was surprisingly hard! I went 3AF the next week and then settled into 4AF per week as my goal.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    Goal: 4AF days per week. It is a short month.

February 1 - 3 drinks
    February 2 -
    February 3 - Superbowl!
    February 4
    February 5
    February 6
    February 7
    February 8
    February 9
    February 10
    February 11
    February 12
    February 13
    February 14
    February 15
    February 16
    February 17
    February 18
    February 19
    February 20
    February 21
    February 22
    February 23
    February 24
    February 25
    February 26
    February 27
    February 28
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    February accountability ~2 days so far
    No Alcohol: 2 days
    Alcohol: 0 days (0 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month

Including the last few days of January to monitor my weekly goal which I have succeeded!
    Jan 28 - AF
    Jan 29 - AF ! Yeah me! Dining Out group.
    Jan 30 - AF Office celebration mexican restaurant without margaritas :)
    Jan 31 - Planned 2 but kept to 1 glass wine! Celebrating retirement from company after 30 years
    Feb 1 - AF
    Feb 2 - AF Brunch without mimosas
    Feb 3 -
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I did well in January but towards the end starting having a few unplanned days of drinking. Last night was a planned night since I went out with a co-worker. I drank a couple times last week and while I didn’t gain weight, I didn’t keep to my losing trend I had going. I’m excited to get back on track this weekend but today was hard. I have a very small bottle of rum, one of those tiny plastic ones, enough for a few drinks. I really wanted one but it definitely wouldn’t have fit in to my calorie goal. I’m happy that I was able to resist. I wanted to save it for a day next week when I’m home with my husband. I’m hoping I’ll be able to resist it tomorrow as well. I have a big work out planned!

I’m happy to have you all here for February!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    @kittybeann @WinoGelato @MissMay @Sub4_2018 @Womona
    Thank you to all those that wished me well on the retirement in the January thread. First day of retirement Feb 1 I sat down and decided I needed a plan (you have to know me I LOVE LISTS). Well I mapped out my weekly and daily activities to get myself up and going starting with a walk, bike ride and/or yoga each day. It was wonderful to put on my calendar things that I personally want to accomplish instead of conference calls, meetings, reports, driving 2+hrs round trip to the office, etc etc that kept me at my desk or sitting all day.

And though I'm celebrating ... the first half of January showed me that I can do that with less wine. Today's retirement celebration brunch I skipped the mimosas. Why is it that when people find out you are retiring they all think of celebrating with food and alcohol? Today was my 5th celebration. (3 out of 5 celebration dinners/brunch AF; Jan 25 celebration was not pretty but Jan 31 I did much better) Whew!

Considering I’m in the thick of my career on a bit of an upward spiral right now for both responsibilities and stress - I am so envious of that list you made and the plans you have!

Also so impressive that you’ve stuck to AF through these recent days and events! That is one thing I haven’t mastered yet, outright saying no thanks at social events when others are drinking. I’ve gotten a lot better at limiting myself and stopping once I start - but I still do enjoy the social aspect of drinking with friends.
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato AF vs drinking is a journey for me as well. And trying to limit myself to 1 or 2 when the wine cork is pulled is difficult. I love wine and socializing with friends and family. Right now it was good that I had the focus and desire to stick to a plan. When summer comes along I have a feeling it will be much more difficult to keep that resolve!

On the career front. Have you read the book "Lean In" by Sheryl Sandberg? Enjoy the move upward.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    So I made it through January - the longest, coldest, darkest month - sans booze. And I'm really proud of myself for it. But I'm not proud that I drank yesterday (about 5 or 6 drinks) just because it was February 1. In any case, man did I feel it today. I haven't had a headache that bad in ages.

Me too. Had exactly the same experience. Drank Friday and last night and will go to Super Bowl party today and undoubtedly drink some more. I am NOT loving the headaches. We went out to our fancy and very expensive dinner last night to celebrate the end of Dry Jan. Went through two bottles of wine (for four people) and our half of the tab was right around $170. I am pretty unhappy with how much we spent and how much I drank. SO not worth it. i am asking myself what I thought was so great about wine this morning, LOL. Planning to be dry Mon-Thurs this week and possibly beyond. That was my pattern before DJ.

• dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    Goal: 4AF days per week. It is a short month.

February 1 - 3 drinks
    February 2 - AF
    February 3 - Superbowl!
    February 4
    February 5
    February 6
    February 7
    February 8
    February 9
    February 10
    February 11
    February 12
    February 13
    February 14
    February 15
    February 16
    February 17
    February 18
    February 19
    February 20
    February 21
    February 22
    February 23
    February 24
    February 25
    February 26
    February 27
    February 28

Running tab: 1 AFday out of 2 days
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    A little disappointed in myself tonight. I had a couple drinks with rum while at home. I had a really great run outside earlier and obviously decided to have a drink, which turned in to three. I’m still below my calorie goal but I would have done even better, or would have had a Girl Scout cookie for dessert if I hadn’t had any alcohol. Oh-well, it happened. I still have 3 pounds to lose and plan to continue with my goal, this just gives me more to think about.
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 100% dry February here! But will be OK with only 1 or 2 single drinks if a special event pops up... kinda doubt my husband will want to do anything for Valentines but ya never know!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our new posters this month.

Groundhogs Day and the Super Bowl both in the same weekend...both with anticipated out comes. Hope your predictions came true.

Being the only non-drinker at both a pre-game bash and during the Super Bowl for a 10 hour stretch was not difficult at all.
    No worries of driving afterwards is probably my greatest joy.

Monday, another week to drink "less".