Less Alcohol - February 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• mabelsdaddy
    mabelsdaddy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in a weird feeling spot right now. I have made great progress with reaching my weight loss goal since Jan 1st, but the further along I go now, the more I find myself wanting to drink again more often. I didn't plan on drinking anything last night but the urge overwhelmed me and I had the two beers we had in the fridge. Same for last Saturday, I had a great work out and had two drinks worth of rum sitting on top of the fridge so I went ahead and finished it off. Neither times did I become drunk like I would have at any point last year but instead of feeling like it was because I am able to have just two drinks and stop, I think it was more to do with the fact that I just didn't have anymore left in the house. I have been having really great work outs and am within a pound or two of my goal weight and I still have this feeling of alcohol derailing my efforts looming over me. I think I need to make a more clear plan of when and how much I can drink, especially as I go in to maintenance. I really want to continue my awesome workouts (specifically with regards to hangovers) and not gain all the weight back immediately.

I've gone to the liquor store twice now since Feb 1st and bought those little half pints of rum (I used to get a big bottle every 7-10 days), and drinking half at a time, about enough for two drinks and logging it in my food diary. I think I'll continue just buying that little bottle for a while when i'm in the mood for a drink so I don't have all the temptation of being able to have however much I "want" (or think I want), and just be able to enjoy a nice buzz without it going all downhill as the evening progresses.

Again, I'm thankful to have this thread to be able to write this all down and know that there are others in the same boat.

Hey, this is good! I bought with the same urgency, and had 2 beers left in my fridge last night and wanted them gone, so i drank them but had no desire for another, which is a good feeling. Thank you for sharing!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    I had quite a weekend. It inspired me to write my first blog post here on MFP. It's long, so just want to share a part of it here in case it provides inspiration to someone who has been struggling a long time with alcohol and weight and wonders if there's hope, or for someone who may feel like they need to take a long break, but wonders how they will have fun.
    ~
    Fourth,I spent 6 hours in a bar not drinking. I was hosting a Meetup to have dinner and then listen to a wonderful Blues band at a swanky bowling alley that evening. It's an interesting twist to hear a strike in between every song.

The night started out with some anxiety. First, I’m not a great passenger sober. I have an imaginary brake pedal and use it often. Cindy was holding her phone, even as I offered to hold it or pull up directions on my phone. Additionally two women I’d not met before were driving an hour or more for this event. To an extent, as a host, I feel responsible for everyone having a good time. Oh, and I forgot that I had collected money for the tickets. I’m probably the least organized Meetup organizer in existence. I once showed up to Trivia night and was cursing my team for not showing, when I checked for messages and noticed the date was 7 days into the future. Um, Howie, you can release this booth now--there’s been a little snafu. (But my heart is in the right place. I love to bring people together.)

Back to the bar. I had a salad and a St. Paulie N.A. for dinner, followed by a club soda/cranberry juice, a mocktail built around bitters, and another NA beer near the end of the night. Midway into the night I did something I hadn’t done in 15 years. I danced sober. It was 80% fun and 20% self-conscious. I felt 5% sexy. I suppose, if I were to lose this wine weight, I might get my Sexy back. There were 2 women dancing beside us dancing like spazzes. Apparently, they had taken the slogan, “Dance like no one’s watching” to heart. I asked Cindy, “Do I dance THAT bad when I’m drinking?” She said, “Yep,” and roared a laugh as I shot her the finger. When we danced a little later and one of those women was doing a dance roll (like, literally throwing herself onto the floor and rolling). At that point, I was having 90% fun (because 10% of that was at her expense).

Everyone had a great time. I was present enough to try to pair up people with similar interests, so they could jump into a conversation on a shared interest like hiking. I know this because I remember. Cindy dropped me off and got home safely, which was a relief because she’d had a few. My feet were tired from dancing. And braking. I came home to dog poop and pee (bladders and colons are old--I can relate). I cleaned it up. I watched 2 shows, drank some tea, and went to bed at 2 to experience glorious sleep and vivid dreams.

I loved reading this!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    Thanks for the good feedback @FeelinFooFoo
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    @AbandondedKSCharger @FeelinFooFoo Absolutely agree about alcohol programming--it's habit and it's physical dependency. And it's never going to solve a problem. I don't know either one of you, but I've been a conflict avoider most of my life. Have to work hard to recognize, and then deal with conflict. Alcohol was an escape. There is great power in dealing with issues...even getting angry...that I'm starting to discover. I'm sorry that happened @AbandondedKSCharger --shows her real character, not yours. And great for catching your drink thought pattern before drink in the hand.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    Your doing good things to take care of yourself. Remember that :)

2/2: AF
    2/3: 1 drink
    2/4: AF
    2/5: AF
    2/6: 1 Beer.
    2/7: 6 beers, 2 shots and frustration
    2/8: AF
    2/9: Um, went to a rock concert...so too much to count :)
    2/10: AF
    2/11: 2 beers
    2/12: AF

I wanted to drink because i felt so much bitterness towards myself. I've constantly struggled with anxiety and depression. I get so upset at times when i see others happy and wonder why i'm not and why when something good comes along, my brain just starts with the what ifs, and the this wont make you happy stuff...which has always triggered me to drink myself to tears and sleep. After some nights of no alcohol, those problems never resolved and just were pushed to the next day. I'm looking to start therapy because any meds i ever took were just awful. But i know i don't need liquor to calm the fire....[/quote]

• AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    Hi everyone. I’m doing AF Dry February. It’s been ok so far. I’ve done it the last couple years. Even managed to just drink tea at Super Bowl party. My hubby said he’d do it with me, but now he slipped and says he wants to have a couple on Friday & Saturday’s.

So I’m in this alone besides you all !!
    None of my friends have ever joined me either...

I sleep well, and feel less bloated but have not dropped any weight which is disappointing. I’m dedicated though. I’ve got this for the rest of the month !! Let’s keep each other on track !!

* tip *I drink lots of hot ginger or peppermint tea in the evenings while we watch tv or a movie !

Thanks for the tip about drinking hot ginger at night. I did have a glass, in-between beers last night. That is something I can work on though for better success....hot teas at night.