February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• annshandle
    annshandle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm back (again)! I was out of commision for what seemed like most of 2018- 6 weeks in August/September from stress fracture #3, then another 9 weeks off in November/December/1st week of January with stress fracture #4 and severe plantar fasciitis. I'm half way through my 4th week back to running now and am making sure to take things nice and slow/easy to avoid stress fracture #5! I completed 39 miles in January so my goal for February is 75 miles. I'm currently training for the Excalibur 10 Miler in March; this will be my 4th year running it and I'm hoping to continue my streak of placing in my age group every year!

What did you do for your plantar fasciitis? I've been dealing with it since September. I think I've tried just about everything from stretching to a boot. Even had a steroid shot without much success. Yoga seems to help some, but after a run it's still pretty painful.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 40 miles this month. It's a bit of a stretch as my training plan has me a little lower when I add it up. I have my first trail race, a 5k, this weekend and my first 10k on the 23rd! Haven't done any races since April of last year, and I am really looking forward to them. I love race day atmosphere so much!!

I love trail races! I need to do more of them.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @Elise4270 The report will be late...I race on Saturday, and fly back on Sunday; I don't feel like typing a report on my phone, so expect it sometime Sunday night or Monday. Unless I get a DNS or DNF, in which case the report will be when I eventually get over myself, lol.

I see zero chances of that happening. Run like the wind my friend!

I'm wondering if Kipchoge should watch his 6. Garys dnf would be "did not falter".

@garygse I will gladly and patiently wait for that race report. I know you'll not disappoint. *No pressure*

I think while he is stuck on the plan he could easily type it out on his phone... :wink:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Thanks @7lenny7 for setting up the February thread!

Welcome to all the new runners - we are a crazy bunch but you will find the most supportive, helpful group here!

Still being injured and barely making half what I thought I might last month I am going to go with 25miles and hope for more. Technically I can't return to running until at least the 28th but the PT has given my hope with walk and maybe add in a little running... so I am going to count my walking with hope that it will progress to walk/running...

@annshandle - I also had PF and haven't had any issues from it in a long time. I would recommend a few of things that came from my sports Chiropractor
    1) foam roll and/or stretch your calves as tight calves can impact your PF
    2) try doing this yoga 'toes pose' regularly. Be sure to start gently though
    3) use KT tape to tape your foot for extra support
    4) make sure you have good well fitted running shoes that are not worn out

Pease consider going to see a doctor if you haven't already and things don't improve.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    annshandle wrote: »

What did you do for your plantar fasciitis? I've been dealing with it since September. I think I've tried just about everything from stretching to a boot. Even had a steroid shot without much success. Yoga seems to help some, but after a run it's still pretty painful.

@annshandle I've done a number of things to help with the PF pain. Originally it was so bad I could barely walk and I thought for sure I would need the cortisone shot, but now it is at a very manageable level, just a little sore after runs. This is what has worked for me:
    1) Ice it consistently. I use a frozen water bottle and ice for ~30 min 3x a day, especially right after runs.
    2) Spiky ball massage (I use the smaller ball from this set) daily for 30-60 minutes while I sit at my desk at work. I start off gently and work my way to a hard massage, focused on the area of my heel where the pain is the most concentrated.
    3) Inserts for my every day shoes (I use these). I wear these inserts in all my shoes except my running shoes. They made my arches really sore the first day or two, but after that they really helped a lot
    4) PF night splint (I use this one). Originally used it every night, though sometimes if I woke up in the middle of the night I would take it off. Now I just wear it on the nights after I run.
    5) Miscellaneous other things- a) I bought memory foam slippers to wear around the house instead of walking barefoot like I used to. b) foot strengthening exercises, my favorite is "foot doming" while I brush my teeth or wait for my french press. c) stretch bottom of my feet daily by doing thunderbolt pose with toes curled under (like @shanaber mentioned). I added this in later since initially my PF was too tight/sore to stretch like this. d) calf stretching daily, both straight leg to get the gastrocnemius and bent knee to get the soleus. I do each for ~2 minutes a day, plus at least 2-3 min after each run. e) Intense foam rolling of my calves, especially the soleus and upper achilles tendon area since this is where I get the most soreness after running. I use the R8 roller and really really dig in there.

I know this sounds like a lot, and it WAS a lot to keep up with initially but it really helped me a lot! Now that the pain has diminished, it hardly feels like much upkeep at all. I hope this helps!

• annshandle
    annshandle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    @shanaber @ariceroni Thanks for the tips! I do some of those, but not all. And I have not been great about wearing my insoles. I'll up the stretching and try the toes pose.