smarziii wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to sync their apple watch with MFP
    Apple watch users
    Found this group for you @smarziii

THANK YOU
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Random (loosely related) question I was pondering while running this morning. For those who track the mileage on your shoes manually, do you count the distance covered on warm up/cool down walks, or just the distance you actually run? For someone who walks very little I guess it won't make much of a distance, but for me (and especially at the moment in recovery mode) I am probably walking as much, if not more, than I'm running in my shoes... it's still wear, if not as strenous? Opinions?

A mile is a mile, IMO. So I would track it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Random (loosely related) question I was pondering while running this morning. For those who track the mileage on your shoes manually, do you count the distance covered on warm up/cool down walks, or just the distance you actually run? For someone who walks very little I guess it won't make much of a distance, but for me (and especially at the moment in recovery mode) I am probably walking as much, if not more, than I'm running in my shoes... it's still wear, if not as strenous? Opinions?

A mile is a mile, IMO. So I would track it.

That could explain why my shoes seem to be wearing out earlier than I expected
    I could easily add 1km to each of my runs with warm up and cool down, and 4 months of running say 4 times a week... That's a lot of extra kms.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@eleanorhawkins the mileage limit on a shoe is only a guideline. I use it as a general reference for how much use a shoe has had but I never throw away a pair because it has reached an arbitrary limit.

Exactly this.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary heard of the waterfront half marathon? On April 14?? I'm tempted...
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary heard of the waterfront half marathon? On April 14?? I'm tempted...

And then can I be ready in 10 weeks...

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

@eleanorhawkins the mileage limit on a shoe is only a guideline. I use it as a general reference for how much use a shoe has had but I never throw away a pair because it has reached an arbitrary limit.

Exactly this.

Very true, but as @Avidkeo said it could be the difference between "why are these shoes feeling dead when they only have x miles on them" and "oh yeah, I guess altogether they do have a lot of miles on them". I was thinking my Asics are starting to feel like they're on their way out and getting mad at the fact that they don't have that many miles on them but then realised that they have probably had an extra 40 miles per month or so on them from warm up/ cool down/miscaluclated route walks, and I've been using them 4 months so probably 150-160 miles more than I had written down for runs.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins as long as one is consistent about how they track the use of shoes, be it with or without walking, good data will be developed to help determine how long they typically last and when to anticipate that it's time to get new ones. The actual, precise number (run miles vs. run+walk miles) isn't that important.

Whether you know that your shoes have 250 miles of running, or 300 miles or running+walking, if you start to feel like they're dead, they're dead.

On the other hand, if you do want to be precise about it, it surely doesn't hurt anything. To make it meaningful, though, you'll have to consider that the impact forces for walking are less than the impact forces of running. I believe that running ground impact forces are about double that of running, so 2 miles walking is might be considered equal to 1 mile running. Then you'd have to make sure to track walking breaks too.

That starts to complicate things and I like easy, so what ever my Garmin tracks, be it just running or running with walking breaks, that's what I track for shoes.
  • Avidkeo
    Options

That said, if you include your wu/cd walks on your GPS, then include that in your shoes total distance. If you don't track the walking on your GPS, then don't include it when tracking the miles on your shoes. One could make the argument that the stress on a shoe from running a mile is more than the stress of walking a mile, but it's not significant enough to matter.

Tracking shoes mileage is easy if you do it with the tracking tools of Garmin or Strava, and the precision you may or may not get by tracking it separately just is not important enough to make the extra effort.

When a shoe starts to approach 250 miles, I start paying attention to how I feel after a run. Am I achier than I might be in other shoes? Do my feet hurt more? If so I then relegate those shoes to short runs and easy runs. At some point I can feel the shoe is dead even on a short run, and that's when I quit running in them.

TL:DR - Either way is fine...it doesn't matter.

250 miles eh. So my current shoes have done 500+ running km. That's over 300 miles. Probably why I'm starting to get aches and pains doing just my short distances. Sigh