February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,005 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @marisap2010 Happy Birthday! Have a great race!

For all of you who have races this weekend, good luck and have fun. Hope the weather is better than it has been this week, for most of us!
  • hoshaugh73
    hoshaugh73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    February miles:
    01 - 1.25

February Total: 1.25 mile
    February Goal: 75 miles

Rhody Run 12k (5/19)
    Scramble XXIV - 6-Mile Scramble (6/30)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    3 miles tonight. So total, 3/110

My Nike app told me I can go to a Nike store and get a pin. May do that tomorrow.

Cool... for why?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010 Happy birthday and good luck in your race!

@martaindale Good luck with your race tomorrow!

@MobyCarp beautiful pictures, good luck tomorrow!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary heard of the waterfront half marathon? On April 14?? I'm tempted...

And then can I be ready in 10 weeks...

Yes, and yes. I have a friend doing it. I didn't enter as it's a nasty wee course under the guise of being easy. Dead flat, which is surprisingly difficult and you better pray there's very little wind. Also, the route is a mind*kitten*, as MFP would phrase it. You have to run a 3.5km section twice in each direction!! However, if you're worried that your training isn't quite there, it's a good course - no tricky hills, you can just cruise along at a comfortable pace. And finally, because of how it's been marketed, there'll be a lot of newer runners doing it and fewer elites so you'll get a good result. Will be a hot one though...

Ah well sadly I looked at the date and Hubby has a tournament which means Im not able to do it. Probably a good thing really sigh. Butay have to look for some other runs I can do. I NEED something earlier than late June to work towards
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,666 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary heard of the waterfront half marathon? On April 14?? I'm tempted...

Yes, and yes. I have a friend doing it. I didn't enter as it's a nasty wee course under the guise of being easy. Dead flat, which is surprisingly difficult and you better pray there's very little wind. Also, the route is a mind*kitten*, as MFP would phrase it. You have to run a 3.5km section twice in each direction!! However, if you're worried that your training isn't quite there, it's a good course - no tricky hills, you can just cruise along at a comfortable pace. And finally, because of how it's been marketed, there'll be a lot of newer runners doing it and fewer elites so you'll get a good result. Will be a hot one though...

Ah well sadly I looked at the date and Hubby has a tournament which means Im not able to do it. Probably a good thing really sigh. Butay have to look for some other runs I can do. I NEED something earlier than late June to work towards

There are a few options - a quick look at http://www.runningcalander.co.nz kicks up these:

The Coastal Challenge. This looks awesome. March 2 (Unfortunately, I'm away in Rotorua doing the quarter marathon in the Redwoods). Loads of distance options, North Shore, Auckland, https://www.coastalchallenge.co.nz

If you do want to meet me finally, my running group is doing the Riverhead Rampage on March 9th. 10 or 21km, Riverhead Forest, west Auckland. Casual and fun. https://www.facebook.com/HallertauRiverheadRampage/

More your way, there's the Te Houtaewa Challenge on 90 Mile Beach. March 16th, 6km, 21km, full or ultra... https://www.tehoutaewa.co.nz 16 March. Looks tough.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    And in non running news, our family expanded today! Finally 1.5 years after our fur baby died, hubby finally agreed to get a new one. The kids (4.5 and 2.5) are over the moon. Suggestions on names? This little guy is so laid back. Bought him home, he spent all afternoon sleeping (and being hauled around by said kids) which is totally appropriate given how hot it is, and has not tried to escape even though doors have been left open.
    ykzryy1uel0z.jpg

tztr7du4mv95.jpg

He's adorable.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes...still a week to go and I'm getting nervous and excited!

@katharmonic I'm probably going to be cast as some kind of heretic for saying this, but I'm more of the opinion that I don't think it's necessary to rotate shoes at all. The foam midsole should decompress pretty quickly after a run (albeit less and less the more you use them), and giving a shoe an extra 24-48 hours of 'rest' isn't going to allow the foam to decompress further. I always go with just a single pair of shoes and so never rotate, although I can imagine that if someone varies their running then they'll probably want road shoes, trail shoes, racing shoes etc.

If anyone is a heretic... it is me, I only own ONE PAIR of street running shoes. and ONE PAIR of trail shoes.

That is it. :smiley:

Where is @LaDispute57 and his amazing shoe rotation inventory, when you need him 🤣
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Shoes... I count all mileage as it is all stress and wear on them so it all counts ultimately. As @7lenny7 said though the number of recommended miles is not hard and fast, it depends on you, your gait, etc. I do however, only wear my running shoes for running (yes that includes some walking) but I don't wear them to the gym for training or running errands on the weekend. They are only for running. I have found in some shoes (more minimal shoes) I can run 6-700 miles and in others (more cushioned) only 300. It just depends on the shoe.

Yeah, I only wear mine for runs then they semi-retire and become treadmill walking shoes then they progress to strength training/general wear shoes. I haven't been running long enough to have really worn out more than one pair. I do now rotate between 2, simply because I had just taken a new pair out of the box when I stumbled across a running store on holiday and decided to get fitted for some more. Funnily enough, the guy let me try on a pair of Brooks (think they were Glycerin?) then advised me against them as I was just starting HM training and he said I would wear the cushioning out before race day. I did seem to get less mileage out of my first 'proper' pair of shoes and the second identical pair are on their way out, and I do like a cushioned shoe, so may well be as you say that they don't last as long as more minimal ones.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

There are a few options - a quick look at http://www.runningcalander.co.nz kicks up these:

The Coastal Challenge. This looks awesome. March 2 (Unfortunately, I'm away in Rotorua doing the quarter marathon in the Redwoods). Loads of distance options, North Shore, Auckland, https://www.coastalchallenge.co.nz

If you do want to meet me finally, my running group is doing the Riverhead Rampage on March 9th. 10 or 21km, Riverhead Forest, west Auckland. Casual and fun. https://www.facebook.com/HallertauRiverheadRampage/

More your way, there's the Te Houtaewa Challenge on 90 Mile Beach. March 16th, 6km, 21km, full or ultra... https://www.tehoutaewa.co.nz 16 March. Looks tough.

Thanks, I keep forgetting about the running calendar! I'll have a look and see what I can do.