February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I had a similar issue with my HRM a couple of months ago. I was fighting with Polar on just getting some questions answered and all they would say is send it back to us and for a small fee we will analyze it for you... ends up it was under warranty. I was able to send it back for free and they replaced it with a new one.

@mbaker566 - love your hair!

@girlinahat - Love the new shoes! They definitely need to meet some mud though!

No run for me today even though it is sunny and beautiful out. I will be getting to the gym this afternoon for some lifting and cycling.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Lugs like these really deserve some mud on them #shoep.orn
    nx0t9tspvirr.jpeg

I'm bringing my Salomon Speedcross with me for the race tomorrow, which promises to be a mud fest. They're too narrow for me but with thin socks and plenty of lube on my feet they're my best option for mud. I've heard they came out with a wider version so I may look into a pair of those. That tread is also great for slushy trails.

I have the fellraiser, so bought the speedtrak as I'd got on well with them, except that found they got a bit tight over time as my feet seem to have got bigger...

I bought half a size up. They're still snug, and perhaps I should investigate the speedcross in wide, although I don't know how much I WANT the extra cushioning.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Thank you (again) for your insight. I appreciate it and will continue with my five day a week running.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    hullo, still lurking.

A few thoughts on Geneaology – over here in the UK one of the best sources for historic Parish records (registers of births), without having to find each and every location is actually the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. A while back, when they were keen to baptise all their ancestors, they photographed all the records on microfiche, and you can go to their head office here and scroll through. My mum has done a fair amount of research on her own family, helped somewhat by someone a hundred years ago already having done a lot (and them being 'landed gentry' meaning there are better records).

Famous Ancestors - I am descended from the family of Sir Walter Raleigh, he of the potatoes and tobacco. Also, one of my ancestors died from going into premature labour after falling over a pig.

I would also be very wary of websites that show you descended from someone major - it's very very hard to find information for anything earlier than a few generations because records just weren't kept.

regarding finding your own name printed on stuff, this has NEVER happened for me. EVER. I still look.

@ariceroni - please tell me how you sex a fruit fly?

Running – I am ill. I don’t know if this is thyroid related, or whether I have stomach cancer/a brain tumour/ gastroenteritis/peptic ulcer/multiple sclerosis etc. but I have felt like I am beginning to get a cold/flu for a couple of weeks now, complete with constant headache, stomach cramps and constipation. I don’t much feel like running. The Endo has accepted that I am subclinical hypothyroid and I was given the option of no treatment or start levothyroxine. I pointed out that having headaches for the rest of my life wasn’t an option so could I have the pills please. It’s been less than a week so am hoping things begin to improve in the next month. If not then I probably have one of the diseases mentioned above.

So I haven’t run. I WANT to run, but have no hwyl. It’s five weeks until my half-marathon and my longest run of late is 6.5 miles. I have done several 10mile walks over rough terrain, but if I don’t get back running soon I’ll be staying in bed on HM day. It’s off-road and I have no illusions about being a racing sort of person anyway. It’s 17 weeks until my marathon so that still remains a possibility, providing I don’t have one of the diseases above. Don’t get me wrong, I know I don’t but right now I’m thoroughly depressed by it all. (I was told last week ‘you don’t look depressed’. I wasn’t aware there was a special look. Anyone know?). Actually, part of the reason I DO feel depressed is that both of my sisters DO have horrible diseases like those described above, and I feel guilty talking about being ill like I’m not allowed. Hence why I just walk around with a stiff upper lip and a grimace and pretend everything’s fine. Oh, and I had to call an ambulance for my flatmate because she had a heart arryhthmia thing going on. Send hugs but not prayers.

@girlinahat {hugs}. I am over 200+(ish) posts behind so I don’t know if you posted again about feeling crappy. Chronic illness sucks. My brain and body has dealt with many health catastrophes over the years (including autoimmune issues and depression/anxiety). If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. :)