February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is officially falling apart, so I need a replacement. I was looking into garmins, but they’re crazy expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations for fitness/running watches? I really like the Fitbit but I have the charge hr which is a super old model so idk how any of the new ones are.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is officially falling apart, so I need a replacement. I was looking into garmins, but they’re crazy expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations for fitness/running watches? I really like the Fitbit but I have the charge hr which is a super old model so idk how any of the new ones are.

I went from the Charge HR to the Alta HR. I loved that device (as long as you don't care about floors climbed). Honestly though, since then I've gone to a Garmin and I wont go back. I LOVE having the running information on my wrist. seeing the metrics and having the GPS there. I find its more accurate than the fitbit and I love not having to take my phone everywhere. Even a cheaper Garmin is superior for running than the fitbits. I went sort of mid-range - the Vivoactive 3 music - and adore it.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options

I go with Garmin certified refurbished. Both my wife and I have them and have had zero problems with them.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »

I go with Garmin certified refurbished. Both my wife and I have them and have had zero problems with them.

This is a great option. I am a fan of the Garmin line but have never paid full price. :)
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    We have made friends with the owner of the gyros shop where we often eat after running, and today he sent us home with a box of free baklava scraps - he saves the odd-shaped edges which he trims off for his family and friends. So my after run snack is hot coffee and baklava.

/DROOL :p

Ooh yum! That's a post run snack I could get used to!

• Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks to all of your for your responses to my post about depression. I knew spilling my guts here would be in a supportive place, but you don't know how much you have helped me smile. I can't remember who linked to that hyberbole and a half blog, but she hits the nail on the head so many times for me!!

I don't know if the headaches are easing because of meds or I'm just being more accepting of them. My mum has variously suggested homeopathy as a placebo and cannabis oil, but I figure I'll carry on as I am for now :D Not too sure where her head is for all of that!!!

Haven't yet got up for a run - I managed a morning walk the other day, and have been getting up early and reading before work, just not running. Am meeting up with a load of strangers into adventures on Sunday and will try and put in a run as well. It's a mere four weeks until my scheduled half marathon, so this weekend might be crunch time to see if I can be anywhere near ready, although as I can't get a refund or defer the place, I might as well make my mind up on the morning of it.

Funny thing is, I was thinking back to this time last year. I was just about to start marathon training when I got ill (could barely walk down the street) with hyperthyroid. I'm planning the same marathon again this year....well - I managed it last year so why not this? Besides which, I've got new trail shoes due for delivery today.......be a shame to waste them ;)

Depression is a very tough nut! But I'm delighted you're getting the care you need, I always found that to be the hardest part!

A friend of mine suffers from anxiety and hypothyroidism and she finds that if the hypothyroidism is not managed properly it throws her into an awful spiral. From there it takes ages to get her rebalanced! Just take it day by day!

<3
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    P.S. - Strange question. Does anyone else find that leggings that work fine/ stay put while outdoor running, don’t on the treadmill or vice versa? Or am I the only weirdo whose form on the treadmill is so Abysmal that this problem is isolated to a sample size of one?

You're not the only one. Not only do my leggings slip down on the treadmill, but my t-shirts also slide off my right shoulder, which irritates the snot out of me. I end up having to tuck the left side of my collar under my bra strap so I don't feel like I'm being strangled. I don't have either of those problems when I run outside.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Lugs like these really deserve some mud on them #shoep.orn
    nx0t9tspvirr.jpeg

Oh yes they are just begging for some mud and dirt and crushed leaves. Just sent you a PM because I suddenly thought of something that would go great with those shoes.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Lugs like these really deserve some mud on them #shoep.orn
    nx0t9tspvirr.jpeg

I'm bringing my Salomon Speedcross with me for the race tomorrow, which promises to be a mud fest. They're too narrow for me but with thin socks and plenty of lube on my feet they're my best option for mud. I've heard they came out with a wider version so I may look into a pair of those. That tread is also great for slushy trails.