February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MobyCarp Three years ago at Pittsburg (I think it was three, might be 2 or 4) a coworker of my actually did run the full marathon by mistake. Right around mile 12, there is a turnoff. You either bear left and head towards the finish of the half, or you go straight and continue on the full.

He missed that turn somehow and someplace around mile 14 or 15 he realized it said, "ah well might as well finish it now" and completed the full as his first marathon, but ended up with a DNF in the half and no official time for the full. I suspect he could have talked to the race people and worked something out, but he never tried as far as I know.

I have seen that turn off, and I have no clue how he missed it. I mean there are signs, flags, and people all yelling and etc. I mean they make it SO clear that when I pass it I start to wonder if I was supposed to turn too. heh.

A couple years ago there was a 9 year old girl who missed the turn for her 5K and ended up running the entire Flower City Half Marathon. Her parents were frantic. By the time anyone found her she had run 8 or 9 miles, figured out what had happened, and wanted to finish the half. The organizers and her parents let her finish, and she got a half marathon finishers' medal.

However, that was a case of a runner known in the local community, with peers who had run this particular half and training runs of 8 or 9 miles. It likely wouldn't have played out that way for a random kid running a 5K who was barely trained to run the shorter distance.

I imagine that must have been very scary for the parents until she was found.
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, @MobyCarp !!! 😀
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've had a phone call from my doctor asking me to have a blood test redone because of a low white blood cell count. Given the cancer history in my family, I'm freaking out. However, it could be the result of just a virus, or, as Google tells me, endurance athletes can have low white cell counts. Anyone experience this?

Yes, I get all kinds of unusual test results. The low WBC is one of them. My dr. just shrugs and says it is because I run.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I've had a phone call from my doctor asking me to have a blood test redone because of a low white blood cell count. Given the cancer history in my family, I'm freaking out. However, it could be the result of just a virus, or, as Google tells me, endurance athletes can have low white cell counts. Anyone experience this?

Yes, I get all kinds of unusual test results. The low WBC is one of them. My dr. just shrugs and says it is because I run.

Ohhh I just had a low WBC yesterday. going to redo in 6 weeks. Do I count as an endurance athlete?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @RunningOnWontons Welcome! It's fine to jump in whenever you find this group. I suspect the local running club would welcome you as well; as another person has said, adults don't gather to point and laugh at the slowest runner. Nor do adult runners laugh at someone who can't run as far as they can. I will run two marathons this year, but I remember a time when I was compelled to slow to a walk after running for one minute. We all have to start somewhere.

All of this! Welcome, @RunningOnWontons!