February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Something I realised lately about depression that most people don’t get, is that it has very very little to do with outside circumstances. If it did, then every person living in a third world country, poverty or whose dog had died would be depressed.

This is so key to understanding and living with depression as a chronic disorder. I've often felt that I didn't deserve to be depressed because my life was pretty good, but that mindset doesn't do anything to actually address the issue. At this point in my life it's most helpful to me to think of it as a basic medical issue, like diabetes or a blood disorder - it's a part of me but it doesn't define me, it's manageable with treatment, and the fact that I sometimes need to compensate for it has nothing to do with my work ethic or moral fabric or anything like that.

I teach high school -- 20 years ago there would be 0-1 students that would be in one of my classes with depression/anxiety. The number has been increasing every year. It breaks my heart when I learn of another student with depression. Sometimes I learn through the guidance counselors telling me, sometimes the parents will request a meeting and other times it is because a student is hospitalized. Sometimes I never find out because the meds work and there is no need to tell the teacher I guess. It is even more common in college.

Hugs to all of you!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    Hi guys!! I’ve been MIA for a bit... but I have bling photos to share
    uploadsb9kup5uly47i.jpeg
    editor/kx/vm1asgyjult0.jpeg
    le9au92l46mi.png
    6qzco0gycxty.jpeg
    4jql1r96oalc.jpeg
    jx3rxcfe5z9y.jpeg

Not fast.... Not last!!!

Congrats!! I love the medal. I really appreciate commitment to a theme!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I woke up to a winter storm warning: another 5-8 inches expected overnight. Sigh. That combined with negative real temps this AM had me kind of grouchy, but an hour or two on the couch with these snuggly buddies cheered me up.
    8pi4fefwrsbq.jpg
    Snuggles!

February. UGGGG.

I have the same orange cat.

Does yours purr like a motorboat? I once thought I was having computer problems but it was just him purring while sitting on top of a cabinet. It looks like they are both also used to being used as furniture by their smaller siblings.

Yes. My daughter picked him from the pound and he purred for 2 weeks. He is the loudest purrer. Hes the only one so far to warm up to the kitten, he also thinks hes a dog. He leads the car in as you come in the drive. He bonded with a dog we had and would even follow the kids to school. If you do yard work, hes with you every step, like a dog. Hes a picky eater too. Only fishy cat food, and wet Sheba

I also have an orange cat with a crazy loud purr. Mine also has some doggy traits, like playing fetch. Both of our cats have the same picky food tastes too. So weird!

Badger (my orange cat) can be doggish and has been known to play fetch from time to time, but he's not a picky eater at all! I had to restrict his food several years ago after he topped 16 pounds and he's still grouchy about it even if his weight has been stable at 12.5-ish for ages now.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Something I realised lately about depression that most people don’t get, is that it has very very little to do with outside circumstances. If it did, then every person living in a third world country, poverty or whose dog had died would be depressed.

This is so key to understanding and living with depression as a chronic disorder. I've often felt that I didn't deserve to be depressed because my life was pretty good, but that mindset doesn't do anything to actually address the issue. At this point in my life it's most helpful to me to think of it as a basic medical issue, like diabetes or a blood disorder - it's a part of me but it doesn't define me, it's manageable with treatment, and the fact that I sometimes need to compensate for it has nothing to do with my work ethic or moral fabric or anything like that.

All of this!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

yes, i think of it as a physical issue. like a faulty thyroid. my brain doesn't make the right amount of chemicals to help me function at "normal" levels.