Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Brave girl @avidkeo!

Brave? not sure if I'd use that word :wink:
    And posting in a group of mostly Americans it occurs to me the privilege I have living in NZ. The idea of them having and/or using guns never crossed my mind because we just don't have them here like you to in the states. Probably why I felt comfortable to say anything at all. I might get a punch to the face but anything else never even occurred to me.

Knives, ropes, bats, duct tape.... *Shudder*. Not me. I'ma go the other way quietly and make a panicked phone call to 911.
    Yeah... there are worse things that can happen to a person then be shot.

lol yep totally blase because again never ever even crossed my mind. I think I live in a totally different world, or am just completely not with it.

One of the joys of living in NZ - I'd be only concerned about getting verbally abused which is enough to stop me from saying anything. Chances are, in all likelihood, they'd be too lazy (or frankly don't care that you know they're stealing) to run after a runner.

I'm quite relieved it's not just me lol. And yes. Isn't it wonderful having it cooler in the morning. 11 degrees here, it was bliss! Even had chilly fingers

Not just you at all. Although these days there are occasional cases of kids being grabbed, female runners killed, etc. here in Spain it is VERY much a horrific one-off. I never even think about the possibility of anything like that, which is why I get very frustrated if my husband expresses concern about me running alone on a trail or a quiet street, for example. He would really like me to only run through the town centre where there are lots of people about, whereas I don't want to see people! When I was young I never felt unsafe along either. I remember friends in the UK talking about having to be collected by their parents after a night out, and sharing tips on walking with your keys in your hand and what to do if you were caught by a rapist and my mind always boggled. When I was around 17 a guy tried to grab me under a bridge after I got off a bus. My instant reaction was to knee him in the gonads and run to the police station down the road.
    So yeah, enough rambling but I cannot even imagine what it must be like to live somewhere where you have to be constantly on guard for wild and/or dangerous people and/or animals. I would probably last about 25 minutes!

The last "runner abduction" I can recall here, a lady was abducted by her ex while running, who then killed her. I do also know that any incidents are always reported giving people the perception that it happens a lot. And usually, not always but usually, the person is abducted by someone they know. Hence my blaise attitude.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Brave girl @avidkeo!

Brave? not sure if I'd use that word :wink:
    And posting in a group of mostly Americans it occurs to me the privilege I have living in NZ. The idea of them having and/or using guns never crossed my mind because we just don't have them here like you to in the states. Probably why I felt comfortable to say anything at all. I might get a punch to the face but anything else never even occurred to me.

Knives, ropes, bats, duct tape.... *Shudder*. Not me. I'ma go the other way quietly and make a panicked phone call to 911.
    Yeah... there are worse things that can happen to a person then be shot.

lol yep totally blase because again never ever even crossed my mind. I think I live in a totally different world, or am just completely not with it.

One of the joys of living in NZ - I'd be only concerned about getting verbally abused which is enough to stop me from saying anything. Chances are, in all likelihood, they'd be too lazy (or frankly don't care that you know they're stealing) to run after a runner.

I'm quite relieved it's not just me lol. And yes. Isn't it wonderful having it cooler in the morning. 11 degrees here, it was bliss! Even had chilly fingers

Not just you at all. Although these days there are occasional cases of kids being grabbed, female runners killed, etc. here in Spain it is VERY much a horrific one-off. I never even think about the possibility of anything like that, which is why I get very frustrated if my husband expresses concern about me running alone on a trail or a quiet street, for example. He would really like me to only run through the town centre where there are lots of people about, whereas I don't want to see people! When I was young I never felt unsafe along either. I remember friends in the UK talking about having to be collected by their parents after a night out, and sharing tips on walking with your keys in your hand and what to do if you were caught by a rapist and my mind always boggled. When I was around 17 a guy tried to grab me under a bridge after I got off a bus. My instant reaction was to knee him in the gonads and run to the police station down the road.
    So yeah, enough rambling but I cannot even imagine what it must be like to live somewhere where you have to be constantly on guard for wild and/or dangerous people and/or animals. I would probably last about 25 minutes!

The last "runner abduction" I can recall here, a lady was abducted by her ex while running, who then killed her. I do also know that any incidents are always reported giving people the perception that it happens a lot. And usually, not always but usually, the person is abducted by someone they know. Hence my blaise attitude.

Yes... there was a case here not long ago. A teacher in her 20s was killed while out running. Turns out it was a guy who had moved in opposite her after being released from jail, and she had complained to her boyfriend a number of times that she felt like she was being watched and followed. Although I don't think twice about going places alone etc. I do trust my instinct or gut feeling or whatever and would never run alone on country lanes in that situation.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tonight... its nice and sunny but gonna make myself dreadmill it for a tempo run. *sigh* EMBRACE THE SUCK!

If I only had a pacer I could do that out side...
    @PastorVincent I guess you already did your run now, but - why can't you do the tempo run outside? Is it some really complicated workout with many different paces, or simply a set fast pace? My watch (Tomtom) has the option to run a "virtual race" again a dot on the screen :mrgreen: , requires a moment of preparation at the computer but results in my own private pacer if I want to have one (and somehow more fun than a simple "pace alarm" since I can try to catch up if I slowed down for a moment, etc). Maybe your watch has a similar option.

Because I am broken in the head or something. :dizzy:

A tempo run is on paper a very simple thing. It is a run at the fastest speed you can run and finish an hours work out (well there is a more complicated definition, but that is what I use). So for me, I set the dreadmill at that pace (or best guess) and then I also set a 5.5% grade (or greater) cause, as I said, I am broken in the head.

For me hitting a consistent pace without a pacer is very much hit and miss. So I dreadmill it. I am sure my Garmin could tell me when I was failing to hit pace, but that is not the same as following a pacer. At least not for me.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Tonight... its nice and sunny but gonna make myself dreadmill it for a tempo run. *sigh* EMBRACE THE SUCK!

@PastorVincent I guess you already did your run now, but - why can't you do the tempo run outside? Is it some really complicated workout with many different paces, or simply a set fast pace? My watch (Tomtom) has the option to run a "virtual race" again a dot on the screen :mrgreen: , requires a moment of preparation at the computer but results in my own private pacer if I want to have one (and somehow more fun than a simple "pace alarm" since I can try to catch up if I slowed down for a moment, etc). Maybe your watch has a similar option.

A tempo run is on paper a very simple thing. It is a run at the fastest speed you can run and finish an hours work out (well there is a more complicated definition, but that is what I use). So for me, I set the dreadmill at that pace (or best guess) and then I also set a 5.5% grade (or greater) cause, as I said, I am broken in the head.

For me hitting a consistent pace without a pacer is very much hit and miss. So I dreadmill it. I am sure my Garmin could tell me when I was failing to hit pace, but that is not the same as following a pacer. At least not for me.

That's what pacekeeping drones are for. :p
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »

That's what pacekeeping drones are for. :p

Ha! If only I was rolling in money with nothing to spend it on...
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    @shanaber and @martaindale thank you for the support!