has anyone drank apple cider vinegar to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It did nothing for me in terms of weight loss but it delayed my period a few times which scared the hell out of me so I stopped taking it. Didn't experience/notice any benefits of taking it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    whyskysix wrote: »
    I drink it every day with turmeric and ginger.
    It works for me.
    Makes me feel great.
    I can tell when I've went a few days without it or when I'm taking it.
    I wake up feeling great.
    I'm not sure what it does lol. But I know its doi g sonething.

Placebo effect is a powerful thing.

Especially when something tastes as nasty as ACV does. I call it the Mea Culpa Syndrome - people choke it down and then think, "Wow! I just did something good for my body!" Atonement for their previous (and usually current) dietary 'sins.'

If it tastes like crap, it *has* to be doing good stuff, right? LOL

I know I'm weird, but I actually like the stuff. ;)

Still on the side of "does nothing magical for weight loss", though.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It makes a nice dressing for a beet slaw that fills me up for relatively few calories. (Seriously. Pulse a jalapeno in the food processor. Switch to the grater blade. Process approx 6-8 beets with a peeled and cored Granny Smith apple. Put it all in a Ziploc with 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup ACV. Seal the bag, shake it all up, and chill.)

Thanks for this @estherdragonbat , definitely trying this recipe which may represent the one way I would actually like Beets!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Studies have found that Apple cider vinegar has a modest effect on blood glucose and absorption of carbs, which makes it potentially interesting to diabetics. Although I tested it, and it made no measurable difference for me. It's also tasty in marinades and salad dressings.

It does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for weight loss. And drinking it is extremely nasty.

Actually, the studies have shown that acetic acid (in any vinegar, not just ACV) MIGHT have a modest effect on blood glucose. The same studies say that more research is needed to determine if it actually does. (I know, nitpicking)

Fair point! To be specific, there are a couple of promising studies that indicate it might have a small effect on glucose. The studies I read were using ACV in particular, but that doesn't mean any acetic acid wouldn't work the same way.

Incidentally, the one study which found that ACV before bed resulted in lower morning blood glucose readings was debunked because they were also feeding the participants a slice of cheese, in order to help them tolerate the vinegar, and a small fatty snack such as cheese before bed is widely known to reduce the dawn phenomenon of high morning readings. Which is a good example of why any single study on any subject should be taken with a large grain of salt.