Getting sick is vile, miserable, and a waste of time - so do something about it!

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    kodiakke wrote: »
    I was one of those, years ago, who thought "I am so important to work that I must go in even when sick." Then I realised... I was making my TEAM sick, and that would simply spread, pun intended. So our management started encouraging people to stay home if sick. Work remotely, if you could (although we didn't have a formal policy to do so.)

Now I realise that was a privilege. Many people simply don't have the sick days. Employers are counting those against employees. It's terrible, it's very political, and it's going to happen, especially with anti-vaxxers who count on herd immunity to save them.

I'm currently unemployed and saw a post on LinkedIn last week that was titled "Sick Days Are a Thing of the Past." *shudder*

The workplace culture in the 80s and 90s (and beyond) glorified working while sick. "I can't believe you came in after staying up all night puking and with a 102-degree temperature, impressive!". There has been a shift as a more rational perception towards sickness has evolved (in some places), but I still hear people receiving praise for making it to work while sick, which is baffling.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,823 Member
    Options
    The other contributor these days is the whole "open office space" thing. One contagious person and all of a sudden 50 people are exposed to the virus. Esp true if the person does not even KNOW they are sick yet. Sigh. I got the flu last year and I had not had it in 10 years prior.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I work in Healthcare, full-time hours. I don't happen to get ETO or benefits (a choice I made, for flexibility and pay, I am insured as are our children, through my husband's employer). So if I don't work, I don't get paid. That isn't my deciding factor. My deciding factor is, my schedule is made out 6-8 weeks in advance. If I have to call out due to illness, I get a point. If it's a holiday or on call day, I get two points if I call out. At 6 points, I get a written warning in my file that prevents me from being eligible for a raise for a year. At 9 points, I lose my job. So unless I am so ill I can't leave the house, I go to work. I take appropriate medications, I wash my hands even more than usual, I use disinfecting wipes multiple times per day on my work station, etc.

Do I understand that I am likely spreading my virus? Yes, yes I do. I also understand that my employer doesn't give a *kitten* and they have a Monopoly in the area.

Heck, I had to fight not to take a bunch of points in December, when I tripped in the parking garage at work and banged the ever living hell out of my skull on a metal rail. I missed 5 total days of work over two weeks for that (and struggled a bit for another week, while working).

Wow. The hypocrisy in healthcare has no bounds. Hope your head feels better. Question- if you work full time hours and your schedule is locked in 6-8 weeks in advance, what flexibility do you get in this job?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    wear a mask really :| wear a mask?..hell no I simply build up my immune system to be so strong it resists - let the dweeb hiding in the office leave themselves vulnerable. not me.

Wow....so I guess your objections to wearing a mask trump those around you who might now be able to "build up their immune system" and could literally die from other's germs? I'm immunocompromised - been on low dose chemotherapy for eight years now. When people start getting sick in my office I wear a mask to protect myself so I guess that makes me a vulnerable dweeb hiding....

I also have amazing co-workers who actually care about each other who have also started masking themselves during times where we have a lot of call-outs - mainly because it's difficult to know if you are carrying a virus as signs aren't always visible at first. We care about each other regardless of how strong one another's immune systems are. I didn't realize having compassion was so outdated...

You never know what the person next to you is going through so may be something you could try to be a little kinder about. <3

Do you work in Canada, by chance?
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Until I came across this thread, I didn't realise that there were first world countries where employees have no legal right to sick pay :(
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    phill_143 wrote: »
    Until I came across this thread, I didn't realise that there were first world countries where employees have no legal right to sick pay :(

To be fair most of the examples in this thread are people working either part time or who voluntarily gave up those benefits for more pay. From when I was a teen and worked full time at a fast food restaurant to when I did carpentry work to computer engineering to the federal government I've always been to able to accrue some sort of paid leave. Some times it was simply PTO but usually it was a combination of sick and annual.