Getting sick is vile, miserable, and a waste of time - so do something about it!

Options

Replies

• leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Tell my boss how important it is for me stay home and I will. I get plenty of sick and personal days, but the demands of my job are too great especially since I work in the medical field. Go figure.

THIS THIS THIS....
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Glad I am retired.

The rules in the UK about sick days are complicated and vary from company to company. Firstly you usually have to ensure you call in at least an hour before your shift starts and you usually have to speak to your line manager not leave a message. They also don't accept having other people call in on your behalf and if you don't follow procedure then you are classed absent and can lose pay. Just trying to do this after being up all night puking or something is hard enough.

Then you have to listen to the disaproval in your managers voice because now everyone else has to work harder to cover for you and the manager has to fill out numerous forms for HR.

You need to get a "self certificate" from a doctors office to fill in and send in to HR if you are off for up to 3 days (some companies wont pay for the first 3 days) anything over that and you need a signed doctors certificate to send in to HR to ensure you get sick pay.

Bear in mind that you have organise all this while you are sick.

Then when you get back you have to go to a meeting with HR and go into great detail about your illness and justify why you took the time off. Then you have to discuss the likelihood of this particular event happening again and if there something you can do to avoid it. Not to mention worrying about how this will count against you as you have now had 3 seperate incidents during the year but can't work out the complicated math involved in the yearly sick day calculations. And on and on and on.

It is easier just to take your germ ridden body in so you can puke on the managers shoes and then get sent home because then you qualify for sick pay because everyone sees the proof that you are sick.

Yep glad to be retired and out of all this work stuff. I can be ill and stay home and not spread my bugs.
    That's not quite right. Did you maybe work for a nightmare company? The whole point of the self-certification thing for short periods of illness is that you DON'T need to get a doctor's agreement or involvement. Certainly not a form from your surgery.

You might have to fill in a form from your workplace's HR department, but that's individual office procedures.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The other contributor these days is the whole "open office space" thing. One contagious person and all of a sudden 50 people are exposed to the virus. Esp true if the person does not even KNOW they are sick yet. Sigh. I got the flu last year and I had not had it in 10 years prior.

On top of the open office concept is the "hotel" concept where nobody has an assigned desk/work area on a floor/wing or whatever. You take an open spot.

You have no idea what went on there regarding sneezing, wiping snot around etc 5 minutes before you sat down there.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    smolmaus wrote: »
    I hate people not taking sick days they're entitled to.

That is great if you happen to have a job where no one else actually depends on your work. If you do then it's not that simple.

Exactly. I know multiple professors, including those with tenure, who are pressured into not taking time off because, not so shockingly, no one can fill in for them. Missing class means students don't learn as much and is also in a costing students money as they aren't getting what they paid for. Of course this takes on a much deeper meaning if they're tenure track.

This is also a major an issue in high stakes situations for the instructors' students. I TA for two ESL courses and for a lot of students, if they don't pass an English standardized test with a high enough score, they will lose funding to stay in the US. In some cases it also means they won't be able to get a degree at an institution where English is the medium of instruction.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ... or with from home.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Glad I am retired.

The rules in the UK about sick days are complicated and vary from company to company. Firstly you usually have to ensure you call in at least an hour before your shift starts and you usually have to speak to your line manager not leave a message. They also don't accept having other people call in on your behalf and if you don't follow procedure then you are classed absent and can lose pay. Just trying to do this after being up all night puking or something is hard enough.

Then you have to listen to the disaproval in your managers voice because now everyone else has to work harder to cover for you and the manager has to fill out numerous forms for HR.

You need to get a "self certificate" from a doctors office to fill in and send in to HR if you are off for up to 3 days (some companies wont pay for the first 3 days) anything over that and you need a signed doctors certificate to send in to HR to ensure you get sick pay.

Bear in mind that you have organise all this while you are sick.

Then when you get back you have to go to a meeting with HR and go into great detail about your illness and justify why you took the time off. Then you have to discuss the likelihood of this particular event happening again and if there something you can do to avoid it. Not to mention worrying about how this will count against you as you have now had 3 seperate incidents during the year but can't work out the complicated math involved in the yearly sick day calculations. And on and on and on.

It is easier just to take your germ ridden body in so you can puke on the managers shoes and then get sent home because then you qualify for sick pay because everyone sees the proof that you are sick.

Yep glad to be retired and out of all this work stuff. I can be ill and stay home and not spread my bugs.

what kind of job was this? sounds awful! didn't think it was even legal for them to ask details about the specifics of your health condition. here (in Canada) at my job they aren't even allowed to ask for diagnosis or details.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Finding fault doesn't make it any easier on the employees who are made to feel the project needs to get done on a deadline "regardless" and work when they are sick. Not showing up when one has the sniffles (which face it is pretty much everyone during the winter) doesn't cut it it upper management. That's the way it is in Corporate America.

That thought does help me though. I'm not in America but I have felt bad about taking sick days I needed before. When I got back the world hadn't ended, I wasn't as important as I thought I was. Someone else had held down the fort or contractors accepted they would get their stuff the next day. Delays happen all the time for many different reasons and genuine illness is a valid one. (I don't think anyone is suggesting taking time off for the sniffles).