Disease free...FOREVER??? Is this possible?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you'd still get veneral diseases from unprotected sex. Unless that's against veganism because technically you'd have meat inside you...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

QFT
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you'd still get veneral diseases from unprotected sex. Unless that's against veganism because technically you'd have meat inside you...

And yet another reason I'll never go vegan. Second on the list, with Bacon being first.

Mmmm bacon.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    gillian-mckeith-vs-nigella-lawson.jpg

Joking aside, that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

anyone can look good with the red carpet treatment

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuYYJDEZpw7Vx1oAUQMv9o_3IZD7gK2GJABGdoZW8IuyJlzZpGFg
    gillian-mckeith-new.jpg
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    So I was watching this documentary "America the beautiful"
    About how obesity is an epidemic and how people obsess with getting
    The "perfect" body. So the producer went on a vegan type diet and the owner of
    The restaurant/diet thing said that if you never eat animal products(basically vegan)
    Then you will NEVER get any kind of disease,ever. No heart disease, high blood pressure,
    Liver disease, kidney disease,ect. He said he guarantees that if you eat all raw food and no animal foods
    You will live your life without any disease.

Is this an accurate statement? Cancer aside, Alot of diseases do come from the stuff
    Found in animals but disease "free" for life sounds like a bold statement.
    Insight Please!

This is not accurate.

I'm sure there are certain diseases you can avoid by never eating meat. But you cannot avoid ALL diseases. Some diseases are genetic, or environmental that have nothing to do with eating animal products. Or eating at all, for that matter.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The restaurant/diet thing said that if you never eat animal products(basically vegan)
    Then you will NEVER get any kind of disease,ever. No heart disease, high blood pressure,
    Liver disease, kidney disease,ect. He said he guarantees that if you eat all raw food and no animal foods

Is this an accurate statement? Cancer aside, Alot of diseases do come from the stuff
    Insight Please!

It would be nice, but there are no guarantees. You can lower your risk of diseases by eating a balanced, nutrient dense diet and exercising regularly, but no one can promise you a completely disease free life. Anyone who tries is stretching the truth at best.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

anyone can look good with the red carpet treatment

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuYYJDEZpw7Vx1oAUQMv9o_3IZD7gK2GJABGdoZW8IuyJlzZpGFg
    gillian-mckeith-new.jpg

Nigella still looks way better. And the foods she cooks look amazing. And she's awesome.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Nigella still looks way better. And the foods she cooks look amazing. And she's awesome.

I'd be a lot more concerned with how her arteries look ...
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure I can find thousands of photos of beautiful vegan women, and put them next to thousands of photos of ugly non-vegan, smoking women. But that would be just as useless as the image above wouldn't it?

For what it's worth, I'm not vegan (but I eat a mostly vegan diet, most of the time), and I don't think it's inherently wrong to eat animal products. But I have great respect for those who chose to be vegan, it's overall healthier than many diets ad it is certainly way better for the environment. Nothing worst than these meaningless "anti-vegan" type BS though. And on the flipside, there are so many advantages to being vegan, why would someone need to start lying about being "disease-free"? I hope the OP simply misunderstand something and this documentary wasn't actually making this absurd claim!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

And we have an internet winner for the day.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    That's why I chose that comparison picture over the other one that's floating around: this comparison is a candid photo of both of them dressed up at red carpet events. They're comparable.

Yes, when Nigella does herself up she looks that stunning.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it depends on if you're talking about preventable diseases or not. Some cancers are caused by (or at least aided by) a poor diet - but others are clearly genetic mutations, environmental causes, etc. We all know a health nut who died young of disease, and we all know a old chain smoking alcoholic who lived to be 95. Clearly, genetics and sometimes just bad luck play a part.

That said, I believe it's very important for your health to eat well and exercise. It won't prevent everything, and you may still get a disease (or get hit by a bus for that matter.) But you will have less chance of developing obesity-related diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, colon cancer, etc. It's also important to keep mentally healthy - stress and lack of sleep can also wreak havoc on health.

And in regards to eating butter, bacon, cream, wine, and chocolate - I am in favor. Research results are pending.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Famous vegans who have died of cancer or heart disease include:

Steve Jobs - died of cancer

Linda McCartney – Paul McCartney’s first wife, died of breast cancer.

Robin Gibb – of the Bee Gees, died of stomach cancer

Adam Yauch, Beastie Boys, died of cancer

Harvey Milstein, proponent of the raw food hygiene movement died of colon cancer

George Harrison, Beatle, died of lung cancer

Eva Ekvall, Miss Venezuela, died of breast cancer age 29

Vihara Youkta, dancer and wife of famous raw foodist Viktoras Kulvinskas, died of cancer.

http://yourdoctorsorders.com/2012/08/vegans-and-cancer-china-study-2/
    (Not quoting the study - just the names)
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    You are right, a lot of diseases have contributing genetic factors. I've been really fascinated by how much research indicates that diet and exercise tends to outweigh a good many of those genetic factors.

One of the big problems with encouraging health is that pharmaceutical companies and doctors don't make much money by prescribing diet and exercise. Many patients seem to prefer the pill in order to continue eating their horrible diet.

Oh, absolutely. I don't mean to downplay the importance of eating well. I just get annoyed when people tout this or that diet, whatever it is, as being THE diet that will cure all ills and/or prevent all ills that can always trump whatever time-bomb genes you might be carrying. Because that's just BS. It depends on the person and any conditions they might have, even if they don't know they have them.

But yes, I do agree that diet can be (but isn't always) better "medicine" than pills. I mean, I take a lot of pills -- beta blockers, ACE inhibitors, diuretics, Coumadin, all sorts of things -- but for me the high carb/low protein/moderate fat vegan diet that I'm following has made my liver a much happier organ and, for me, that's awesome because it makes life a lot better. And, hopefully, it'll mean that I'll be able to have valve replacement surgery without the surgery itself killing me. So, I'm good with both pills AND diet modification, as is my doctor, who's of more of an holistic bent than many. Why not avail yourself of both? Why must it be one or the other? (Not saying that you said that, but many people do seem to have that black-and-white, binary attitude vis a vis diet modification vs. pharmaceuticals.)

But yes, some people do see the pills as an excuse to keep doing what they're doing. I don't entirely blame the doctors, though. Patient stubbornness has a lot to do with it. My mother could tell you all about that. *eye roll*
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I would advise that anyone who makes a blanket statement that if you only do __________ thing, then you will never get any kind of disease is making a statement that they can in no way back up. It doesn't matter if it's eating vegan or eating a pound of bacon every day -- the human body is a fallible thing that can get sick. Sometimes it's environmental, sometimes it's genetic, sometimes it's dietary. There's no evidence that I'm aware of that proves that human beings can only develop heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc due to the things that they eat, therefore the logical conclusion is that there are other things that can cause a person to develop these diseases. You can eat the best diet in the world and exercise like an Olympic champion every day, then drop dead of a heart attack brought on by heart disease caused by inherited genes. You can do that same food and exercise program, then contract HPV and develop cervical cancer. The human body is incredibly complex and is influenced by many factors and the diet is only one of them.

In terms of diet, I'm sure there are people out there who will make the argument that a vegan diet is healthier and would at least protect you from illness brought on by what you eat. I would point out that eating a vegan diet may make you less likely to develop high cholesterol, however it automatically puts you at higher risk for a large number of illnesses that result from nutritional deficiencies if you aren't very careful to plan out such a diet properly. The truth is that being a vegan or not is simply a dietary choice -- two different diets with two different sets of risks And ultimately, it is very misleading to tell people that eating a vegan diet will protect them from disease.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Harvey Milstein, proponent of the raw food hygiene movement died of colon cancer

Vihara Youkta, dancer and wife of famous raw foodist Viktoras Kulvinskas, died of cancer.

You named all cancer victims when I said cancer aside.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

You named all cancer victims when I said cancer aside.

I looked up just one name on tbjs list and the man was a vegetarian, not a vegan. He also did drugs, including acid, and was a heavy smoker. He died of lung cancer.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'd be a lot more concerned with how her arteries look ...

Because dietary cholesterol causes arterial problems, amirite?

*sigh*
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The truth is that being a vegan or not is simply a dietary choice -- two different diets with two different sets of risks And ultimately, it is very misleading to tell people that eating a vegan diet will protect them from disease.

Totally ^

And not only misleading, but insulting for people who have worked hard to be very healthy, eat vegan whatever who still got diseases. It implies that people who get cancer or other types of disease brought it on themselves because they didn't take good enough care of themselves.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Vegan lifestyle and disease statistics are virtually impossible to detangle into anything meaningful, just because the overall lifestyles of vegans tend to be so radically different in dozens of other ways besides what they eat.

But no, vegan diets won't protect you from infectious diseases, degenerative diseases, genetic diseases etc...

Maybe prion diseases.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Insight Please!

It's a completely misleading statement when you consider that, for example, high blood pressure may be lifestyle related and may be hereditary as is the predisposition to heart disease. Same with cholesterol - your body makes it and the link between dietary cholesterol and serum levels is tenuous at best.

My personal opinion is that we can only manage risk, it can never be eliminated. Extreme lifestyles (at either end of the meat consumption spectrum) deny evolution.