How can I gain muscle as a beginner? (Photo inc.)

Options
I have recently lost weight (I’m 5’4 and 51 kg) and now I really want to start building muscle.

I have started going to the gym but the weight machines are so intimidating, I even had someone show me, I just feel to embarrassed to look like a fool and I don’t even do it properly!

I want to learn some effective workouts to gain some muscle for my body type.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

^^This^^ Follow a structured program. Things like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts are good for beginners because they focus solely on compound movements that should be the foundation of any good lifting program. Once you have the basics down, you can move onto other things.

I personally wouldn't make machines the foundation of my programming...they have there place, but I use them for supplemental/isolation work only. With free weights and compound movements, you're going to use more muscles simultaneously, including stabilizers and your body will be working as it is designed to work...as one cohesive unit. Our muscles don't work in isolation in everyday life.
  • asreekanta
    asreekanta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I didn't write the question but I wonder how long did you do the Stronglifts 5 x 5 programme for?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    asreekanta wrote: »
    Hi, I didn't write the question but I wonder how long did you do the Stronglifts 5 x 5 programme for?

I'm not sure who you're asking...I never did Stronglifts, I did Starting Strength which is pretty much the same except it is 3x5 which I found to be less taxing while dieting. I ran it for about 4 months...maybe 5...can't remember exactly.
  • asreekanta
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'm not sure who you're asking...I never did Stronglifts, I did Starting Strength which is pretty much the same except it is 3x5 which I found to be less taxing while dieting. I ran it for about 4 months...maybe 5...can't remember exactly.

Oh sorry I have never posted on here before and don't know what I am doing. I didn't even know how to find my message - I had to search for me!! :D I was asking the person below. But you have also helped me very much. Thank you.
    Stronglifts 5X5 is an easy workout, and it has free app you can download that tracks your lifts and weights. Only five lifts to learn.

I started with it and loved it.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

@asreekanta Approximately 14 months before I stalled out and switched to a different program.
  • asreekanta
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @quiksylver296

You are all an inspiration. I am not confident to go by myself and do these lifts. I may do it wrong and get injured. I currently have someone showing me how to do it but will I ever get to the point where I can train by myself?
  • asreekanta
    Options
    @quiksylver296

You are all an inspiration. I am not confident to go by myself and do these lifts. I may do it wrong and get injured. I currently have someone showing me how to do it but will I ever get to the point where I can train by myself?

You can do anything wrong and get injured. Walking down the stairs, driving a car, jumping off a diving board, etc, etc. But you still do those things, right?

Alan Thrall has some great form videos on Youtube for squats and deadlifts.

Many thanks, I will take a look.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Why are so many people so intimidated and afraid of going to the gym and lifting weights? Have someone show you how to use them and use them. That's what they are there for. I'm physically disabled and I love going to the gym and lifting weights. If I can do it, looking the way I do (like a deformed freak) then anyone can.

It's interesting, isn't it? I just went in and started winging it. Then I got lucky and stumbled on Stronglifts. Did squats with bad form for awhile before I again stumbled across some form videos. Haven't had a single injury in 4+ years, good form or bad.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296

You can do anything wrong and get injured. Walking down the stairs, driving a car, jumping off a diving board, etc, etc. But you still do those things, right?

Alan Thrall has some great form videos on Youtube for squats and deadlifts.

I had to have my wrist surgery from a fall carrying groceries up stairs. Walking is hard.

I ran strong lifts for about 12 months while in a calorie deficit. I could have changed programs after about six but was still progressing so kept with it. Then I moved onto an intermediate program. While there are certainly other great programs out there, it's one of the simplest, with a nice easy-to-use app, and videos for form.
  • lildickybarrett
    lildickybarrett Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts works, keep at it consistently and eat according to your goals.

What I really love about stronglifts is getting in and out of the gym in ~hour tops.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Watch Gym Fails on YouTube to learn how not to lift 😂
  • eilidhabbott
    eilidhabbott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Despite the use of genetic outliers and steroids, you can expect to get 2-3 pounds of muscle every month as early as possible, getting a 1-2 pound muscle every month, and 0 to 5 pounds per month. Intermediate.
  • TinyRaccoon19
    TinyRaccoon19 Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm new to lifting. I had a friend write a program for me and show me how to do the exercises. Form first; start with a lighter weight while getting use to the exercises. I felt really self conscious starting at the gym, still do a bit. But no one really cares how much you're lifting or how you go about it, as long as you're not damaging the equipment or being inconsiderate.

Here's my program based on my goals.

t6b7ozij52bj.jpg
  • sdavidfuchs
    sdavidfuchs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I watch TONS of YouTube videos to continuously give me different ideas on how to lift, and how to lift properly.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I watch TONS of YouTube videos to continuously give me different ideas on how to lift, and how to lift properly.

I can't recommend this enough. I have several "issues" I have to work around, and youtube is loaded with videos on proper form, alternatives to common exercises, how to improve mobility...it's endless. You'll often see some good discussion in the comments as well...if you can school yourself to avoid the trolls that is. Just a great resource for fitness.