Tell me about your plateaus/fluctuations during weight loss

Options
Hey guys! I'm looking for some personal anecdotes about plateaus and weight fluctuations. When I first lost weight years ago it was very linear for the first three months, about two pounds a week, every week, without fail. This time I find myself frustrated by seeing the same number on the scale a week later, even though I realize I shouldn't feel this way. I spent 6 hours on a strenuous hike on top of 1.5 hrs of exercise per day, and ate perfectly for a week but saw no loss. I found it a little demoralizing and I guess could use reassurance. What are your experiences with weight loss fluctuations? How does it work for you? If you're losing 2 pounds a week on average do you sometimes see no loss and then a big drop?

Thanks guys, just interested in experiences from real people to reassure me :)

Replies

• MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Following
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I think pretty much everyone on the boards can attest to fluctuations. They happen. I lost 5lbs last month, and the past two weeks haven't had a loss. Now finally seeing the scale move again. Shrug and move on. If the overall trend is downward that's what matters. Weight loss isn't linear, you'll have a good stretch and then a couple weeks of no movement, then it moves again. You typically hit plateau level about 4+ weeks, a week isn't a plateau.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I usually stay about the same 2 weeks out of the month. Then the weight falls not perfectly consistently, but somewhat consistently, the rest of the month. I weigh myself everyday and use a trending app... the trend line keeps going down. I’m happy.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I use a trend weight app and get to know my fluctuations and what causes them. For me it's usually exercise (especially more lifting volume), higher sodium meals and more food volume causing water retention.

In your case it sounds like you did a lot of exercise causing some water retention. Remember weight loss is typically not linear.

How much are you trying to lose total? How much are you losing per week?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend you slow your rate of loss. Are you losing more than 1% of your body weight per week? If you are you will lose more muscle (despite lifting and eating protein) your body will give it up if you don't give it a choice since muscle is expensive to keep at that high a deficit without much to lose. Believe me that is not what you want. Also with that high a deficit you are more likely to burn out and possibly gain it back.

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I’ve learned to respond to a stubborn scale by doubling down my discipline. After the smallest weight loss month in January since beginning my current journey last August, and February starting off the same, I continued along without weakening and finally was rewarded with the morning weigh in I’d been patiently waiting for,

My two cents is to double down with a little extra activity such as more walking and being vigilant in portion size management.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I didn't see any unexplained plateaus, but there were routine fluctuations. (And I'm sure I had less roller-coastering because of being post-menopausal.) There were times when, if I'd been weighing only weekly, it would've looked like I hadn't lost, if I'd hit a low day one week, and a high one the next, but the trend was still clearly heading downward.

I accidentally lost too fast for a while (around 2 pounds a week, because MFP underestimated my calorie needs), got weak and fatigued, and it took weeks to get back to normal energy/strength again even though I'd corrected quickly. Based on that experience, I don't recommend it.

Here's a several month chunk from the weight loss period, with the trend line and the vertical lines connecting the trend to the daily weigh-ins:
    79f9phe4s9qg.png
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider weighing more often than weekly and using a trending app to help smooth out the day to day fluctuations so you have a better idea where you are.

Weight fluctuates every day. If you’re at a low end of your range this week, and all through the week your weight is lower, but next week you just happen to be on the higher side - you think you’re not making progress or even gaining when you just happened to weigh on days that don’t give a good picture.

And you can’t really predict when those better/more accurate reflection days will be.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I lost 20kg in 2017 and had a big plateau for about 6 weeks mid way through. That's when I started MFP and found I was eating maintainance rather the deficit. I dropped the sandwich I was having every night, and that was enough to get me losing again.

Maybe reevaluate everything, are you weighting and measuring everything? Are you tracking everything? Go back to basics and see what happens.

Also, slow your roll. Remember this is for life, it doesn't matter if it takes a year to lose 20lb. The slower you lose, the longer you will keep it off. Be the turtle, not the hare.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm looking for some personal anecdotes about plateaus and weight fluctuations. When I first lost weight years ago it was very linear for the first three months, about two pounds a week, every week, without fail. This time I find myself frustrated by seeing the same number on the scale a week later, even though I realize I shouldn't feel this way. I spent 6 hours on a strenuous hike on top of 1.5 hrs of exercise per day, and ate perfectly for a week but saw no loss. I found it a little demoralizing and I guess could use reassurance. What are your experiences with weight loss fluctuations? How does it work for you? If you're losing 2 pounds a week on average do you sometimes see no loss and then a big drop?

Thanks guys, just interested in experiences from real people to reassure me :)

Its only been a week??

What are your stats (age, current weight, height) and how much are you trying to lose?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i gain a pound at ovulation, then usually lose it the following week, then gain a pound or 2 the week after on the first day of my period, though the day before that i am usually the lightest weight of my cycle. the weight i gain when i get my period usually goes within 3-4 days.

also add a random pound for having more than one alcoholic beverage, or a restaurant meal...

i can easily not see any weight loss (and in fact gain) over a month because of all these things, coupled with being on my last few vanity pounds so i only aim to lose 0.5lb per week anyway!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    This January was a good example for me. I have been dieting and on and off MFP for years. Losing and re-gaining for various reasons. I got back on track in late August/September 2018. Lost steadily until eating at maintenance mid-November through Christmas. Right before January 1, I got back into a deficit, became much more consistent with my logging, and started doing more exercise. My goal is set to 1lb/week. I lost 1.2lbs for the entire month of January even though I knew without a doubt that I had been in a much larger deficit. Thankfully I had taken measurements at the beginning of January and by February 1st, I had lost several inches. My clothes were also fitting more loosely, I was able to go in a notch on my belt, and in a set of hook on my bra. Then I had a whoosh starting Feb 2 which put me right back on track with an average of 1lb loss per week for this year. Below are my Friday weights for 2019 so far. I was actually 202 most of this week but fluctuations happen.

1/1 - 206
    1/4 - 206
    1/11 - 206.2
    1/18 - 205
    1/25 - 205
    2/1 - 204.8
    2/8 - 202.4
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    When I first lost weight years ago it was very linear for the first three months, about two pounds a week, every week, without fail.

This is definitely an exception and not typical.