For the love of Produce...

purplefizzy
purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
edited February 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I’ve been a produce *kitten* for years and years.
My ‘Apple thing’ is notorious among friends and family. That’s the one enduring phase (current obsessions are Koru, Pacific Rose, and HoneyBee apples)- in addition to my squash fixation (kabocha, mostly, but a well roasted spaghetti squash also makes me swoon.)

I love almost all things produce-related... roasted golden beets, thinly shaved fennel, kabocha-everything, cauliflower curry, roasted Brussels with Apple and bacon. Grilled asparagus with Meyer lemon couli. Seared peaches on salad. Turnip puree.

Don’t get me wrong. I love a good grass fed steak...next to my veggies!

My question:
Got a love affair of your own with the veggie realm?
What is the vegetable you love introducing to nonveggie-loving friends?
What new-to-you veggie are you surprised that you like?
How do you boost nutrition in meals/recipes with innovative veggie additions?
Are you doing cool stuff with jackfruit? Spiralizing celerac?
Wat preparation method changed your mind about a particular vegetable/fruit?

Inspire me with your produce bounty!!

Below:
Roasted Kaocha in miso glaze with Pom and tahini
Crispy Orange Slices
Sweet potato soup

2zbe81jq7qal.jpeg
3hh0sbopobv1.jpeg
7ycs9g59b3yk.jpeg

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Crockpot caramelized onions here:

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/crock-pot-caramelized-onions-24750?ref=amp&ftab=reviews

DEAD easy and can be frozen in silicone giant ice cube molds, then freezer bag and store.

thank you!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    I try to eat at least three different kinds of vegetables per meal (aromatics like onions and bell peppers don't count). I typically roast or stir fry my veggies, or put them in soups during this time of the year.

I've been experimenting lately with chayote squash. I used to just put it in chicken soup but lately I've been eating it raw in a salad or a simple slaw with no mayo. Best one I made was just chayote, radish, and cilantro dressed with lemon and a sprinkle of sugar.

I love kabocha but I only really use it for soup. Can you share some recipes/ideas for kabocha?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I love fruit and vegetables, and enjoy almost all vegetables if prepared properly. I like eating seasonally when possible, so tend to eat a lot less fruit in the winter and far more limited -- lots of berries, oranges and clementines, apples and pears. But during season I go nuts at the farmers market. Vegetables I love pretty much all greens (and all kinds of cabbage too), and anything roasted. Lots of root veg lately (turnips last night among other things, I have celeriac in my refrigerator right now) and winter squash (roasted pumpkin which I added to a stew yesterday). But I also can get pretty basic with choices and preparations this time of year when nothing is truly in season -- in addition to those mentioned, lots of zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower, and brussels are staples. For something not mentioned unless I missed it, jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes are great.
  • suzeiehl
    suzeiehl Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you for Ottolenghi!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

@jennifer_417 : so much is about local availability. I’m really lucky to live in an area with great grocery stores, year round farmers markets, and a host of ethnic markets for specialty stuff. I also grew up on a farm so I grown my own fruit (mulberries, pomegranate, persimmons, Meyer lemon) in the tiny space I have available.

You surprised me with this - I have met very few people who know what mulberries are and fewer still who have eaten them. My grand parents had a farm that had a few mulberry trees and every year my grandmother would collect the berries and then make the most incredible mulberry pie! What she didn't use for pies she would make jam out of.

As for veggies, I don't think I have met a veggie that I didn't like, although my tastes are fairly simple and I prefer most veggies fresh and uncooked. The one exception being Brussel sprouts which require sauteing in bacon grease with just a hint of lemon as you take them off the stove.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member

swirlybee wrote: »
    I try to eat at least three different kinds of vegetables per meal (aromatics like onions and bell peppers don't count). I typically roast or stir fry my veggies, or put them in soups during this time of the year.

I've been experimenting lately with chayote squash. I used to just put it in chicken soup but lately I've been eating it raw in a salad or a simple slaw with no mayo. Best one I made was just chayote, radish, and cilantro dressed with lemon and a sprinkle of sugar.

I love kabocha but I only really use it for soup. Can you share some recipes/ideas for kabocha?

I’m working my way thru these:
    https://greatist.com/eat/kabocha-squash-recipes