For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    At a posh restaurant, earlier this week, I was served a fennel and apple granita that may have been the freshest, cleanest taste I have ever put in my mouth.

I don't have the recipe, I just offer this information should anyone feel like experimenting :)
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Ooh, I’m gonna try a riff on that, thanks @ceiswyn!
    Fennel everything. Everywhere. Everyday.

—-
    Total aside:

I keep stalking @crazyravr because I want to cook together, but I’m competing with hoards of foodies for him. (Dude. You know you are my culinary crush.)

Anyone know a fennel farmer who also grows kabocha squash? I’d also be very interested in him. Or her. Gender ID isn’t my primary concern. Produce/niche ingredient availability/affinity, prep knowledge, and willingness to get all kinds of wild in the kitchen are my top 3 requirements. I’m open to community living. Anyone want to start a food-focused non-cultish farming/cooking/art making collective with me? I have a potential venue in NorCal but need co-investors;)

Original Recipe:
    http://www.thesimplethings.com/blog/2017/9/1/recipe-apple-fennel-granita-with-fennel-shortbread

What I’ll eventually make (Minus the shortbread because flour makes my joints hurt):

*Fennel-Apple Granita*

700ml cloudy apple juice
    Juice of lemon
    100g granulated sugar (I’ll probably use combo of monkfruit and stevia combo)
    2T fennel seeds
    (I’ll add some Himalayan salt)

Notes: make the liquid and leave it to cool the day before you’re going to turn it into granita. Freeze early on a day when you’ll be in the kitchen a lot, as it needs a little attention periodically.

1. Pour the juices and sugar (or subs) into a saucepan and gently heat until the sugar is dissolved (if using novel sweetener subs, pour them in a well into the water, and swirl the pan over heat to combine and avoid crystals) Add the fennel seeds and bring to the boil, then simmer for a few mins. Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.
    2. Sieve into a plastic container with a lid and transfer to the freezer. Set a timer for two hours, then remove from the freezer and use a fork to break up the frozen edges and stir them into the centre.
    3. Set a timer to repeat hourly, breaking up the ice crystals each time, shortening the timer to every half hour once it really starts to freeze. The more times you do this, the more snowy it will become, but even a few stirs will create a good result.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    A typical haul for me at the public market, love my fresh produce!

ETA: In case you can't tell I have a thing for bell peppers :smiley:

What is it you do with them, mostly?

Raw, roasted, stuffed?

I cannot eat the green ones (stomach pain) and the yellow ones sometimes. The deeper the red the better I do with them. I like to shave them into spiralized salads, with lime-fish sauce-ish dressing and nuts on top.

What is your lime-fish sauce dressing for salads? Own recipe? Care to share?
  • Tankiscool
    Options
    A typical haul for me at the public market, love my fresh produce!

ETA: In case you can't tell I have a thing for bell peppers :smiley:

What is it you do with them, mostly?

Raw, roasted, stuffed?

I cannot eat the green ones (stomach pain) and the yellow ones sometimes. The deeper the red the better I do with them. I like to shave them into spiralized salads, with lime-fish sauce-ish dressing and nuts on top.

I just eat them raw lol they are my absolute favorite vegetable to eat raw. I cut it down the middle take out the seeds and stem them just go to town!

Same here!
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yum! I'm learning so much from you all! Most of my veggies I eat as Armenian foods. One of my favorites is broad green beans sauteed with garlic and olive oil, then boiled with chopped fresh tomatoes. You can eat it cold or warm.
  • purplefizzy
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    What is your lime-fish sauce dressing for salads? Own recipe? Care to share?

But of course!

Base:
    (All amounts approx. I don’t measure ever because I’m lazy AF. I add, taste, adjust.)

2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons sugar (I use monksweet)
    2 tablespoons water
    1 small red chile, minced (Or a squeeze of wasabi)

With this, Usually I marinade the protein in:
    -garlic, minced
    -dash of rice vinegar
    -grated ginger
    -grated lemongrass
    -splash of soy or brags coconut aminos

Sometimes I add a bit of some/all of the marinade ingredients to the dressing.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Anyone know a fennel farmer who also grows kabocha squash? I’d also be very interested in him. Or her. Gender ID isn’t my primary concern. Produce/niche ingredient availability/affinity, prep knowledge, and willingness to get all kinds of wild in the kitchen are my top 3 requirements. I’m open to community living. Anyone want to start a food-focused non-cultish farming/cooking/art making collective with me? I have a potential venue in NorCal but need co-investors;)

I know you aren't being serious, but I'm sure it's common. I subscribe to a local farm and they have both (not at the same time of year). I finally have a real back yard so plan to grow fennel this year, but probably only summer squash/zucchini, not kabocha or other winter squash this year.

I do love fennel.
  • fleawill
    fleawill Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love veggies! I've been scouring websites and cookbooks for different non-starchy veg (mostly leaf vegetables) recipes, but haven't had much luck. Does anyone have any recommendations for healthy greens/non-starchy veggies websites or cookbooks?
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    fleawill wrote: »
    I love veggies! I've been scouring websites and cookbooks for different non-starchy veg (mostly leaf vegetables) recipes, but haven't had much luck. Does anyone have any recommendations for healthy greens/non-starchy veggies websites or cookbooks?

Someone already mentioned it (raver, perhaps?) but the ‘Inspiralized’ cookbook is great for new veggie experiences.
    I also like the Go With Your Gut cookbook by Robyn Youkilis.

Not that I could follow a recipe for the life of me. Too much curious ‘what would happen if...’ in my blood.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I must eat spinach every day - usually several times a day. I put it in everything - eggs, soups, stews, salads, lentils, wraps. Everything is better with spinach.

When my husband is going to the grocery store he asks me "Is there anything you need? Besides spinach obviously." :smiley:
  • purplefizzy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I must eat spinach every day - usually several times a day. I put it in everything - eggs, soups, stews, salads, lentils, wraps. Everything is better with spinach.

When my husband is going to the grocery store he asks me "Is there anything you need? Besides spinach obviously." :smiley:

When I'm training super intensely, I find I CRAVE spinach in really insane amounts. Like 'large tub a day' amounts.
    I suspect it might be the NO2 effects of all of those nitrates that my body craves, and I'm not subject to kidney stones so I've never worried about the excess oxalic acid potential. Does stain my teeth though if I'm not hyper-vigilant about my beloved waterPic..
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I've been making soup. Onion, baby carrots, potato, yellow squash, tomatoes, cabbage, and (for variety) mushrooms, poblano, or celery. I like cilantro or parsley too. Add a can of chicken or chickpeas. I make a pot and eat it for lunch for the week. For a snack I like apples (Fuji, smitten, evercrisp, or honey crisp), mandarins, cucumber, or bananas.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just for fun, I added up my veggie/fruit servings today. It may not be much for others, but it came out to nearly 24 80g servings, which may be close to a record for me (within calorie goal) - not sure. Mixed berries in my oatmeal (plus a bunch of other good stuff); black beans with orange bell pepper and onions for lunch (copious salsa for heat not counted, plus nooch and fromage blanc), with a side of cold roasted cabbage with ume plum vinegar, and another side of roasted rutabaga; mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, onions, on spaghetti squash for supper (with seitan and herbs).

@AnnPT77 Super inspiring! I try to add veggies to everything!!

@purplefizzy - I add spinach to so many soups, stews, omelette... it’s sort of just vanishes in there.. :)
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    I thought of you guys and this thread today..

A friend from Ghana gave me a recipe for West African Peanut Stew....

This is the vegetable base before peanuts and meat were added.

I ran out of collard greens. I substituted spinach. Hope that’s not too blasphemous. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Stew base :
    Yams
    Tomato
    Garlic cloves
    Yellow onion
    Greens (see above lol)
    Herbs 🌿

vyoby4l1320m.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    I've been making soup. Onion, baby carrots, potato, yellow squash, tomatoes, cabbage, and (for variety) mushrooms, poblano, or celery. I like cilantro or parsley too. Add a can of chicken or chickpeas. I make a pot and eat it for lunch for the week. For a snack I like apples (Fuji, smitten, evercrisp, or honey crisp), mandarins, cucumber, or bananas.

I looove the way cilantro smells 😊

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    People seem to either love or hate cilantro. I love it.
  • Tankiscool
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    People seem to either love or hate cilantro. I love it.

Apparently there is a gene that some people have that makes it taste like soap hence why they don't like it.
  • purplefizzy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    I thought of you guys and this thread today..

A friend from Ghana gave me a recipe for West African Peanut Stew....

This is the vegetable base before peanuts and meat were added.

I ran out of collard greens. I substituted spinach. Hope that’s not too blasphemous. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Stew base :
    Yams
    Tomato
    Garlic cloves
    Yellow onion
    Greens (see above lol)
    Herbs 🌿

vyoby4l1320m.jpeg

I’m SO INTO peanut stew right now. Taste of Yum has my fave recipe, but I amp up the heat 🌶

Edited for spelling malfunction.