For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    “find that most of my friends that think they don’t like veggies have either had crappy canned/frozen/casserole type childhood trauma, or they haven’t had them properly showcased. Shaved or spiralized can completely affect flavor profile, as can proper roasting at high heat, and the addition of fat (even a teensy bit, I like Tuscan OO spray, non propeller version) and sea salt, and some form of acid (lemon, vinegar) as a finishing splash.”

Your food looks wonderful. The salad bowls are my favs.I keep looking at spiralizers.Do you use it a lot? Do you have one that works, instead of being a pain to use? Any advice about spiralizers appreciated.....
  • trisH_7183
    Options
    “Recipe and method available if anybody interested.”
    Would love to have your recipe.
  • trisH_7183
    Options
    “I thought I'd post it for you
    Gosh...I love this topic!!!“

Thank to all for recipe sharing.Loving this thread!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Cool thread! I've been too busy lately to get over to the foreign market for the fun fruit and veggies, you have inspired me!

I don't think anyone has mentioned one of my favorite weird fruits, mamey fruit. It's a kind of sapote fruit. It looks like a giant fuzzy kiwi on the outside, and like an avocado mated with a mango on the inside. It tastes like pumpkin pie filling. Throw it in a blender with a little milk and ice and it makes delicious "ice cream" with way fewer calories and much less sugar.

7fwnlz24dzbd.png

I'm so glad you posted this. I used to love a fruit called chikoo when I was little but haven't been able to find them. From your description, mamey sounds very similar.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    u8heq3bnlo8z.jpeg

Guys! It’s like a Guinness - but with greens. 😉 Joking - but this did froth up quite a bit.

I drink my greens in the morning. I saw such lovely vibrant produce at my grocer this morning- I had to pick some up. The greens were so deep and the kale looked almost blue!

In the shake -

Sweet pea greens
    Baby kale
    Baby bok choy
    Mizuna
    Tatsoi

I added a few wild berries and hemp milk ....

There are so many greens out there to try - what are some of your favorites?

🌞
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Nothing fancy... my favorite green is collards.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    To eat cooked, beet greens hands down. Red amaranth probably second.

I never juice them. Milk/kefir are about the only bevs that are satiating to me.**

Lots of good ones, though, for raw and cooked: Turnip, mustard, kale, bok choi, romaine, buttercrunch, chard, collard, . . . .

** Though maybe some craft beers? ;)
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I feel now that I should explore more greens.

I ate about a tub of spinach a day for a year. Just couldn't seem to get sick of it. So sweet.
    Currently on a baby kale & arugula kick, because they hold up well when added to hot soup just before serving, and I soup in winter.

Shredded dinosaur kale, with lemon and sesame oil.

Endive (prefer green), to use as vehicles for stuff served app style.

Butter lettuce, if making a thai salad dressing.

Iceberg - bear with me here - is only ok if used as a bed for hot curries. So crunchy and cool, a great contrast.

Rainbow or swiss chard, if cooked.
    Baby Gem, if doing a ceasar riff.

Sprouts are a recent fave - pea shoots, sunflower sprouts.

Baby bok choy, in miso-infused bone broth.

I don't juice. I mostly like to chew, unless its creamy and cold and spoonable or hot and soup-ish - but I still load with textures. Chewing is fun. Well, honestly - chewing also gets me more bang for my buck. I can drink my kcals WAAAAY too quickly and still feel munchy.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    trisH_7183 wrote: »
    Any advice about spiralizers appreciated.....

I have the Paladermo - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AW3B5MM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy enough to clean, and $30 was all I wanted to spend because I go thru food toy phases and then burn out- I was huge into spiralizing a few years ago. Takes some elbow grease but I don't mind a bit of a culinary workout. I did a huge amount of spiralized Daikon as noodle substitute in hot asian-inspired broths. Also quite liked spiralized & then roasted carrot -it was interesting, texturally, as were curly seasoned jicima fries.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »

@purplefizzy I see your Meyer lemon and raise you 1 Sorrento lemon 🍋.

Seriously 😋 delicious!

I accept this mission. Must find Sorrento!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Try grilling wedges of iceberg, if you have a grill. That's pretty good, too.
  • sistrsprkl8097
    sistrsprkl8097 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good ideas on here! I diced butternut squash, yellow squash & onion & roasted w tandoori seasoning. It was 😋
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    I feel now that I should explore more greens.

I ate about a tub of spinach a day for a year. Just couldn't seem to get sick of it. So sweet.
    Currently on a baby kale & arugula kick, because they hold up well when added to hot soup just before serving, and I soup in winter.

Shredded dinosaur kale, with lemon and sesame oil.

Endive (prefer green), to use as vehicles for stuff served app style.

Butter lettuce, if making a thai salad dressing.

Iceberg - bear with me here - is only ok if used as a bed for hot curries. So crunchy and cool, a great contrast.

Rainbow or swiss chard, if cooked.
    Baby Gem, if doing a ceasar riff.

Sprouts are a recent fave - pea shoots, sunflower sprouts.

Baby bok choy, in miso-infused bone broth.

I don't juice. I mostly like to chew, unless its creamy and cold and spoonable or hot and soup-ish - but I still load with textures. Chewing is fun. Well, honestly - chewing also gets me more bang for my buck. I can drink my kcals WAAAAY too quickly and still feel munchy.

yesss same here! Something alot more satisfying chewing your veggies than juicing.
  • trisH_7183
    edited February 2019
    Options

Same here.....Also prefer the fiber from un juiced produce.

I have the Paladermo - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AW3B5MM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy enough to clean, and $30 was all I wanted to spend because I go thru food toy phases and then burn out- I was huge into spiralizing a few years ago. Takes some elbow grease but I don't mind a bit of a culinary workout. I did a huge amount of spiralized Daikon as noodlee moment” substitute in hot asian-inspired broths. Also quite liked spiralized & then roasted carrot -it was interesting, texturally, as were curly seasoned jicima fries.

Had just decided against buying a spiralizer for same reasons. I tend to buy “gadgets of the moment” then quickly tire of them.
    Find myself sticking with smoothies now & then ....home made soups always & good salads made with fresh produce. Realized I don’t eat enough pasta to worry about making fake types.Thanks for your thoughtful advice.
  • trisH_7183
    Options
    Must admit I haven’t tried these cauliflower recipes .Several look to be high calorie,but we can make our own choices.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a19993727/cauliflower-recipes-weight-loss/
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Easy enough to clean, and $30 was all I wanted to spend because I go thru food toy phases and then burn out- I was huge into spiralizing a few years ago. Takes some elbow grease but I don't mind a bit of a culinary workout. I did a huge amount of spiralized Daikon as noodle substitute in hot asian-inspired broths. Also quite liked spiralized & then roasted carrot -it was interesting, texturally, as were curly seasoned jicima fries.

The 3 blade version of the Paladermo (for $23) was the winner of America's Test Kitchen's testing. The 4-blade was recommended (supposedly the more compact design makes it "fussier, less stable, and more awkward to use") as well as the Spiralizer Tri-Blade Vegetable Spiral Slicer.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    A typical haul for me at the public market, love my fresh produce!

ETA: In case you can't tell I have a thing for bell peppers :smiley:
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Expend your greens into Chinese greens if you have a Chinese / Asian market near by. Soooo much green stuff is unbelievable. What I do is simply taste stuff while shopping. If I like the taste raw, I will buy it even if I dont know how to cook it, yet :) I also love to simply look for an older Asian lady buying the same stuff and ask her how to choose, how to cook etc. They are more than happy to explain.

Food really does bring people together :)

I live walking distance from a ‘Ranch99’ Asian market MECCA.
    I tend to wind up with some RANDOM stuff (burdock... still haven’t mastered that one) and I’m a huge fan of polling the crowd. That’s how I learned the wonders of Kabocha when slow simmered in coconut milk.

Kabocha, I knew and loved (and how!) as you all have now heard a zillion times. However, that prep method was novel for me.
    Every culture seems to have a way they prepare the precious gourd. Savory in Mexican cuisine, often soups. Thai style cooked in coconut milk. Vietnamese cook in soup exclusively (according to a very convincing woman I chatted with. I’ve not verified that.) Japanese simmer in broth.

Maybe I can follow it around the globe on a personal culinary quest?
    That’s my perfect vacation - a produce tasting, buying and cooking tour.
  • purplefizzy
    Options

What is it you do with them, mostly?

Raw, roasted, stuffed?

I cannot eat the green ones (stomach pain) and the yellow ones sometimes. The deeper the red the better I do with them. I like to shave them into spiralized salads, with lime-fish sauce-ish dressing and nuts on top.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

What is it you do with them, mostly?

Raw, roasted, stuffed?

I cannot eat the green ones (stomach pain) and the yellow ones sometimes. The deeper the red the better I do with them. I like to shave them into spiralized salads, with lime-fish sauce-ish dressing and nuts on top.

I just eat them raw lol they are my absolute favorite vegetable to eat raw. I cut it down the middle take out the seeds and stem them just go to town!