For the love of Produce...

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member
    If you had a food truck, you'd have all the prep done and then just measure and cook.

Now I want pad Thai. I have some rice noodles. I'd have to wing the rest. I could make a nut butter from some hazelnuts. I've got garlic. I've got bean sprouts.... well, not yet, but in a few days.

Next adventure might be lentil soup or split pea. I can't decide.

If I had a leek, I'd do potato leek.

First I have to eat all these garbanzos and this big huge pot of soup.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I like pad thai, but every time I've considered making it, it's seemed more work than I wanted to bother with vs some other dish.

For soup, I recommend the celery root/leek soup I made recently as a fun alternative to potato/leek.

I have some mutton stew I made over the weekend but it's a bit too rich or something so I'm going to add cabbage tonight (it already has basic stew veg--onions, celery, carrots, potato).
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    @mtaratoot thanks! We hadn’t considered doing squash, but that’s a great idea! I’m strangely attached to the ivy wall and cut it back about three times a year and clean it out about every six weeks. It’s a full coverage growth over a retaining wall made of railway ties so it’s super pretty, but I know if I got rid of the ivy could hang planters there 🧐 also, that soup is making me HUNGRY!!
    @acpgee those bowls are amazing!!
  • mtaratoot
    @mtaratoot thanks! We hadn’t considered doing squash, but that’s a great idea! I’m strangely attached to the ivy wall and cut it back about three times a year and clean it out about every six weeks. It’s a full coverage growth over a retaining wall made of railway ties so it’s super pretty, but I know if I got rid of the ivy could hang planters there 🧐 also, that soup is making me HUNGRY!!
    @acpgee those bowls are amazing!!

I am thinking of trying a "three sisters" planting this year. Corn to provide a place for beans to climb, and squash underneath to shade the soil and keep weeds down. I don't really have room for corn, but going this style it could work.

I'm not a fan of English ivy. It's an invasive weed, and birds carry the berries so it gets established in wild places. Where I live we also have Armenian blackberry that can take over. Several years ago, a quarter acre of Kudzu was discovered and eradicated. Thank goodness. If kudzu got established here, we wouldn't any longer have any issues with blackberries. It's really hard to eradicate ivy, though.

I had allowed some poison oak to grow for a while as a landscape plant. It is really pretty, but.... It's gone now. That also took a while to get rid of. It sprouts pretty often. Birds.

Even now, well before planting time, my garden is almost full. I have a bed full of artichokes. I now have a bed of raspberries. I wanted them in a different place, but they started leafing out last year and had to go in the ground. They were gifts from the yard of a friend before she moved, and then she died a few months later. I have another 1.5 beds full of wonderful garlic; I can maybe plant a winter garden there in August. I also have a bed of beets I planted late last summer. I just have one bed left, and it's kind of a waterlogged one that will now be in the shade of the raspberries unless/until I move them. Not a good place for tomatoes. I'll probably plant spring greens.
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    md972z0fol95.jpeg

Insanely delicious grapefruit from the clearance produce area at my neighborhood store, topped with honey because it’s the best way to have grapefruit imo.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    My favourite way to eat grapefruit is this. Don't bother frying peanuts or shallots. Buy roasted peanuts and toast them in dry skillet before chopping. Buy ready made fried shallots, replace with the ready made fried onions used in Thanksgiving bean casserole.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2021
    I love grapefruit and pomelo as well. It was so hard when last August Dr put me on statin (you can't eat grapefruit when you take statin).
    Last month I restarted eating them...I surely made up for the lost time 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    md972z0fol95.jpeg

Insanely delicious grapefruit from the clearance produce area at my neighborhood store, topped with honey because it’s the best way to have grapefruit imo.
    acpgee wrote: »
    My favourite way to eat grapefruit is this. Don't bother frying peanuts or shallots. Buy roasted peanuts and toast them in dry skillet before chopping. Buy ready made fried shallots, replace with the ready made fried onions used in Thanksgiving bean casserole.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pomelo-salad-with-chile-lime-peanuts-and-coconut
    gigius72 wrote: »
    I love grapefruit and pomelo as well. It was so hard when last August Dr put me on statin (you can't eat grapefruit when you take statin).
    Last month I restarted eating them...I surely made up for the lost time 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I loooove grapefruit... the smell is intoxicating...
    I was that kid that loved the super tart yellow grapefruits too ... #citruslove 😋

I have to say — I’ve never cooked with them. I’m going to have to check those recipes out!
  • mtaratoot
    I have used grapefruit slices in salad in lieu of tomatoes because out-of-season tomatoes are not too far from tasting like the cardboard boxes they are packed in. Grapefruit still gives a nice texture and acidity.

Grapefruit season is about now, and so it's a good time to get 'em. I've been pretty fond of the sweeter varieties like Rio Star. Just slice off the ends, slice into wedges, and eat. Or, if I'm feeling old school, get out that grapefruit knife and just slice in half and dig on in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Grapefruit eaten simple-style on its own is really excellent with a bit of Carribean-style hot sauce (the ones with nutmeg and that sort of thing). They're usually a little sweet, but not cloying. You do have to like heat, though!

The combination would also be good in the right salad, with that sort of dressing, I think.
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    @AnnPT77 sometimes I even eat the peel. My mom started me by teaching me to eat lemons with the peel when I was a kid. Now I like eating the peel of grapefruits or oranges.
    Dang if I'm in the mood I eat also kiwis with the peel 😂😂😂😂
  • MinTheKitCat
    I’m loving this citrus love ❤️ 💕 I peel and eat all my citrus in segments like a clementine or tangerine unless I’m cooking with it. Also love candying citrus peel- especially lemon, lime, and grapefruit - SUCH a treat!!!!
  • mtaratoot
    I’m loving this citrus love ❤️ 💕 I peel and eat all my citrus in segments like a clementine or tangerine unless I’m cooking with it. Also love candying citrus peel- especially lemon, lime, and grapefruit - SUCH a treat!!!!

Care to share your secret technique to make candied peel?
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited February 2021

@MinTheKitCat - you just reminded me of a wonderful memory! - Walking next to the Château Royal d’Amboise- came across a little pâtisserie with the most beautiful citrus confections! I wanted to dive right into this bowl of candied clementines! I took this 2 years ago....

lqgapjjc60va.jpeg
  • MinTheKitCat

@MinTheKitCat - you just reminded me of a wonderful memory! - Walking next to the Château Royal d’Amboise- came across a little pâtisserie with the most beautiful citrus confections! I wanted to dive right into this bowl of candied clementines! I took this 2 years ago....

lqgapjjc60va.jpeg

Those are so pretty!