For the love of Produce...

Replies

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @Safari_Gal_

You'd be surprised how easy it is to make. And you don't have to make five gallons at a time. It ferments quite quickly, too. We have a Korean market in town, and they sell quart jars for a much more reasonable price than the "fancy" stuff at the grocery. He also makes a radish kimchi that's really good.

I'd recommend using it as a "salad course" before your meal. So tasty.

You can also use it to make "kimchi stew." With rice, try "Kimchi fried rice." Or just have it next to rice. I'm going to go have some for lunch!

Ooooooh!!! Will report back! I’ll try the salad 🥗 idea first :) thanks 🙏 @mtaratoot !!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,106 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @Safari_Gal_

You'd be surprised how easy it is to make. And you don't have to make five gallons at a time. It ferments quite quickly, too. We have a Korean market in town, and they sell quart jars for a much more reasonable price than the "fancy" stuff at the grocery. He also makes a radish kimchi that's really good.

I'd recommend using it as a "salad course" before your meal. So tasty.

You can also use it to make "kimchi stew." With rice, try "Kimchi fried rice." Or just have it next to rice. I'm going to go have some for lunch!

Ooooooh!!! Will report back! I’ll try the salad 🥗 idea first :) thanks 🙏 @mtaratoot !!!

Report back!

If you make it yourself, you can adjust the spices and other flavors. You can totally skip the radish; the kind you bought has none. Many recipes do the radish separately anyway. I like 'em, so I add 'em. What you got looks pretty traditional. I suspect they put the onion, garlic, ginger, and hot chiles in a food processor to make a thin paste. The sugar might feed the organisms a bit. Looks tasty.

You can take a SMALL Napa cabbage and try to make some. I can make a gallon for less than the cost of a pint of already-made. It's just cabbage after all!
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Nothing fancy and no photo, but I just made a wrap (okay 2 lol) that I really enjoyed. Small amount of salsa, orange pepper, onion, avocado and leftover roast chicken in a spinach tortilla. I loved it, so I made a second one, and now I'm way too full! I could never work at Extreme Pita though... I really suck at the actual wrapping part.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    Nicoise.
    jv961qlwedxm.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,106 Member
    @acpgee

Let us know how it turns out!

I served up a bowl for lunch along with a bowl of black bean soup. Supper is looking like a roasted sweet potato and two roasted red potatoes.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2021
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Lots of roasted veg for dinner again -- cauliflower, broccoli, and green beans, with salmon. Boring but reliably delicious.

"Boring but reliably delicious". I love that! It could be said about most of my veggie creations LOL

I had been regularly getting a veggie box-a-week but it was huge (family sized) and I discovered that it created this enormous pressure to eat everything (there's just my husband and me at home now and my husband eats very few veggies). It was actually causing me some distress, mainly because I hate waste LOL. So now I order a box every other week and just fill in a couple of items if I need to in between. Its working out much better for me.

That was a long story to tell you that this is my "in between week" and I found cremini mushrooms on sale at Walmart ($2 for 750g) so made a big pot of mushroom soup yesterday with homemade chicken stock, onions, celery, and rosemary. I didn't have any cream (nor did I need the extra calories) but I had a can of evaporated milk in the cupboard so used that. I blitzed it a little with the immersion blender to give it some thickness, but left it mostly chunky. It definitely fell into that category of "boring but reliably delicious" :)
  • JustMe1962
    JustMe1962 Posts: 5 Member
    Im a freak for boiled okra and steamed (too soft) broccoli
  • acpgee
    What do people do with alfalfa sprouts? I asked the hubby to pick up mung bean sprouts for making Vietnamese Banh Xeo tonight because we have leftover batter that needs using up. The asian supermarket was out of bean sprouts so he got quite a lot of alfalfa sprouts from the health food store. I don't normally use alfalfa sprouts so would appreciate any ideas on how to use them up.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    I like alfalfa sprouts raw in salads, sandwiches, or just strewn around as a garnish.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I like alfalfa sprouts raw in salads, sandwiches, or just strewn around as a garnish.

As I said way above, this is pretty much how I use sprouts.

Here is a slideshow, although it's largely similar: https://www.foodandwine.com/beans-legumes/alfalfa-sprouts
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I also vote for alfalfa on salad
    Mixed salad
    Tuna salad
    Toss on gazpacho
    Also tasty on some soup
    Sandwich and wrap filler too
  • acpgee
    I must say that alfalfa on an nduja sandwich did add a nice texture.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    We ate alfalfa sprouts a lot growing up. But grocery stores now don't seem to carry it...I heard it was a food safety issue of some sort
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Ultra-unphotogenic but tasty veggie soup/stew tonight: Lentils, chopped onions, diced tomatoes (from a jar), some rough-chopped roasted cabbage (from a pan of thick slices I roasted tonight), mugi miso (added at the end in hope of live, happy bugs), smoked paprika, a little grated parmesan, and a fair amount of fresh-ground black pepper.

Would've added some roasted sweet potato, too, but it wasn't done roasting in time, so I ate some on its own when it came out of the oven: Dessert? 😉
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    I need a produce suggestion for a side for a meal. Here is the entree description:

Blue Crab Blue Corn Enchiladas
    blue crab, yellow peppers & Monterey Jack cheese rolled in blue corn tortillas & topped with hatch green chile cream sauce, shredded cheddar cheese & scallions

Since this entree seems higher in calories, I would like something really filling and lower calorie. I just thought all of you might have some ideas that I just can't think of.