For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I know it's more of a fall staple, but lately I've been loving roasted red and golden beets with sweet potato and brussels sprouts. So yummy!
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Latest test batch, #produceLifeproject

qin6y3eltryw.jpeg

ETA:
    Variation inspiration here- https://honest-food.net/preserving-lemons/

I’ve done mine previously in olive oil with star anise, Chinese cinnamon, peppercorns, garlic.

These batches all in lemon juice, with the spices as labeled (based on article.)

The ‘lemon salt’ is just the rind from the ‘juicer lemons’ from the preservation project, zested and dried and combined with pink salt. I use it when I make my coffee rub.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Broth based spring meal!

Starring: spiralized Daikon - forgot how much I love this in broth-based bowls. (I prefer it to shirataki in most cases. Most, but not all)

Giant bowls of veggie-heavy goodness last night, served buffet style-

Bone broth, screaming hot, ladled over bowls of veggies (spiralized daikon and golden beet, roasted kabocha cubes, roasted marinated oyster mushrooms) with shredded pulled chicken (the chicken bones used to make the bone broth), topped with chopped herbs (cilantro, mint), dry-toasted finely chopped peanuts, and herb-lime slurry drizzled over (lime juice and mint/cilantro stems from the herbs, whizzed in blender.)
    00n7myu21f20.jpeg
    ul19zur00kjr.jpeg
    8kmsvjl76tpf.jpeg
  • Sanriohippie
    Sanriohippie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Chayote and poblano peppers are my favorite! I’ve been using purple potatoes more lately though😊
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Holy *kitten*. Massive respect for all that work.

Therapy right now, kitchen is. Without exercise abilities, I've gotta do SOMETHING.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Chayote and poblano peppers are my favorite! I’ve been using purple potatoes more lately though😊

What are the crunchy looking brown toppings?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Broth based spring meal!

Starring: spiralized Daikon - forgot how much I love this in broth-based bowls. (I prefer it to shirataki in most cases. Most, but not all)

Bone broth, screaming hot, ladled over bowls of veggies (spiralized daikon and golden beet, roasted kabocha cubes, roasted marinated oyster mushrooms) with shredded pulled chicken (the chicken bones used to make the bone broth), topped with chopped herbs (cilantro, mint), dry-toasted finely chopped peanuts, and herb-lime slurry drizzled over (lime juice and mint/cilantro stems from the herbs, whizzed in blender.)
    00n7myu21f20.jpeg
    ul19zur00kjr.jpeg
    8kmsvjl76tpf.jpeg

You're amazing! Love your ideas, now where to find time? And some of the ingredients too, lol, if I'm completely honest. Looks delicious, all of your pictures!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Broth based spring meal!

00n7myu21f20.jpeg
    ul19zur00kjr.jpeg
    8kmsvjl76tpf.jpeg

You're amazing! Love your ideas, now where to find time? And some of the ingredients too, lol, if I'm completely honest. Looks delicious, all of your pictures!

Thank you, it means a lot that you find inspiration. There are always easier ways to work in the same flavor profiles... right now I have more time than money, and a few life things mean that I’m pouring all of my energy into my cooking.
    Also, I don’t have kids or a partner to have to account for- so I get to just play right now, haunt the ethnic groceries, and I recognize that I’m in an unusual position. I live in a GREAT produce-sourcing area, and I don’t have other taste buds to have to please...
  • bham6154
    bham6154 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. So many foods that look amazing.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    ccpocbytzsmq.jpeg
    zgd7dzdl59da.jpeg

Today’s haul.

Countertop includes:
    Taro (going to spiralize)
    Cherimoya (sale, 4$/lb!!)
    Dragon fruit
    Avos
    Sweet onions (because ya always need an onion)
    Pears
    Ginger (I drink a ton of fresh ginger tea)
    Limes

Fridge produce breakdown:
    Herbs in jars
    More avos (ripe ones, holding)
    Kale (so beautiful!! Better than a bouquet.)
    Giant jicama
    Boxes of spinach and spring mix
    Drawer1: golden beet, sweet peas, red bell, Easter egg radish, Persian cukes, fennel
    Drawer2: Korean radish, king oyster shrooms
    Drawer3: celeriac, giant golden beets for spiralizing, red beets, chayote squash

Door:
    -pickled daikon/carrot
    -sundried tomatoes in OO
    -chopped garlic in OO
    -homemade kraut

I feel SO produce rich right now.

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Leeks!! For the love of god, eat more leeks!!
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I bought some jicama and prepped it for the first time. An amazing snacking vegetable and my kids love it. I am a varied produce eater but sometimes its nice to be encouraged outside of one's normal routine.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread I bought some jicama and prepped it for the first time. An amazing snacking vegetable and my kids love it. I am a varied produce eater but sometimes its nice to be encouraged outside of one's normal routine.

I made jicama fries last summer. They were good but weird. Brain kept saying ‘French fry’ and mouth kept saying ‘fun new thing!!’

• purplefizzy
    Options

If you get a really large diameter one, slice it real think and you can use it as a "taco shell". Bendy and does not break apart. Also how I like my woman lol :)

Now I know what I’m gonna do with the monster jicama in fridge.

Carnitas will get a new vehicle!

*Goes off to stretch...*

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options

If you get a really large diameter one, slice it real think and you can use it as a "taco shell". Bendy and does not break apart. Also how I like my woman lol :)/quote]

This scares me. ( ;) )
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Back on topic, I am so in love lately with roasted okra. I dont know why but I prefer to roast from frozen rather than fresh. Dump a whole 300g bag onto a tray and roast. Dump another 300g broccoli and another cauliflower on another tray and roast. Toss all that with 200g FF cottage cheese and 1kg of food for 500cal is done. :)

Is there a difference in texture between the frozen and fresh. I love Okra in all forms, but my husband finds it too slimy. I had roasted okra for the first time last week and I loved, but he liked it as well. Wondering if I try to recreate if there are any tricks to keep the slime to a minimum.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Back on topic, I am so in love lately with roasted okra. I dont know why but I prefer to roast from frozen rather than fresh. Dump a whole 300g bag onto a tray and roast. Dump another 300g broccoli and another cauliflower on another tray and roast. Toss all that with 200g FF cottage cheese and 1kg of food for 500cal is done. :)

Okra novice. I feel like you mentioned somewhere what seasonings you like on it but can’t find.
    I have holes in my brain.
    Any suggestions beyond ‘S/P/OO spray?’
    Does it lend itself to any spices particularly well?
  • purplefizzy
    edited April 2019
    Options
    4tujkfsrlbiz.jpeg

Spring.
    Sweet peas, shaved.
    I lack the patience to do this myself but LOVE what it does to them. Had a prep chef so got to indulge!

Other current faves:
    Celeriac- spiralized, blanched/shocked, tossed with sesame oil/lime/soy dressing. Used it as a chilled noodle base, with spiralized daikon, for ‘not vermicelli’ lemongrass pork bowls.

Taro- Spiralized and cooked in hot bone broth (good), cubed and roasted (amazing), shaved and turned into chips (in oven now.)

Giant Dino Kale & cabbage leaves- Steamed very lightly, and layered atop nori, rice paper wrappers, and soy wrappers in the way one might use rice or vermicelli, then topped with fillings (avo, roasted mushrooms, shredded tofu, pork) and rolled (faux sushi and fresh rolls)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    4tujkfsrlbiz.jpeg

Spring.
    Sweet peas, shaved.
    I lack the patience to do this myself but LOVE what it does to them. Had a prep chef so got to indulge!

Other current faves:
    Celeriac- spiralized, blanched/shocked, tossed with sesame oil/lime/soy dressing. Used it as a chilled noodle base, with spiralized daikon, for ‘not vermicelli’ lemongrass pork bowls.

Taro- Spiralized and cooked in hot bone broth (good), cubed and roasted (amazing), shaved and turned into chips (in oven now.)

Giant Dino Kale & cabbage leaves- Steamed very lightly, and layered atop nori, rice paper wrappers, and soy wrappers in the way one might use rice or vermicelli, then topped with fillings (avo, roasted mushrooms, shredded tofu, pork) and rolled (faux sushi and fresh rolls)

Ever thought about moving to Mississauga? ;)

Only every time you post dinner..
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Tried the frozen okra (on its own), like it! Out of curiousity, do you usually use whole or sliced frozen?

I like both, but find the whole ones undefinably more appealing, can't figure out why. "Whole Foods" bias? ( <== joking!).

:)