For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    @purplefizzy are you married? My kinda crazy! Lol.. that's a compliment btw...

In real life, people are driven a little crazy by my ‘phases.’ My ex had two famous (totally legit) complaints:
    (Summer season) ‘can you NOT put my meat on salad? Why does everything have to be a salad with you?’
    (Winter season) ‘Could we NOT have a broth-or-soup based meal?’

He didn’t understand that those are my seasons, Salad and Soup. If you loosen up the categories and put enough roasted stuff in them, they encompass EVERYTHING.

In my dreams a Pitbull-friendly grownup that wants to:
    -go to farmers markets
    -is good on a grill
    -will climb mountains with me
    &
    -is food compatible [produce based but with a weakness for occasional KBB (served over.. of course... the shredded cabbage salad..)]

sorta just appears.
    Except I hate dating in the modern world (swiping isn’t my style and I resent the timesuck... I’d rather train or cook or talk about those things.)..

Sooo you guys are stuck with me :)
    Last night’s dinner.. and a silly catering description of the plate in hopes of getting bonus drool points because my plating skills and food pics are lackluster.

Veg-heavy but not entirely vegetarian. ‘Pegan?’ (Paleo meets vegan) I do eat some dairy but very little, can’t decide if it affects my skin or not.

‘Wild-caught Salmon and roasted Italian Squash spears atop a chickpea-walnut hummus. Sauced with Minted Basil & Spring Pea Pesto and preserved lemon couli, toasted pounded walnuts and finished with oven-crisped fennel.

Side salad of baby spinach, shaved fresh fennel, cubed jicama and globe radish, in minted tahini dressing with a cilantro-shallot drizzle.’

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

I LOVE THE WAY YOU EAT!!!! Plus, those cherry pics you posted have inspired me to get some cherries IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner.

Wow this looks AMAZING!!! I forgot how much I love fennel, but this reminded me that I need to buy some lol.
    Thanks for the smile- needed it!!
    Come eat with me anytime @Noreenmarie1234 and @NewLIFEstyle4ME

You're the BEST, period. o:)<3o:) So looking forward to more of your posts. I also LOVE the title of this thread. Produce is so everything!

Now I’m gonna have to haunt the fun markets to find pretty stuff to show you!! ❤️
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

In real life, people are driven a little crazy by my ‘phases.’ My ex had two famous (totally legit) complaints:
    (Summer season) ‘can you NOT put my meat on salad? Why does everything have to be a salad with you?’

He didn’t understand that those are my seasons, Salad and Soup. If you loosen up the categories and put enough roasted stuff in them, they encompass EVERYTHING.

-go to farmers markets
    -is good on a grill
    &
    -is food compatible [produce based but with a weakness for occasional KBB (served over.. of course... the shredded cabbage salad..)]

sorta just appears.
    Except I hate dating in the modern world (swiping isn’t my style and I resent the timesuck... I’d rather train or cook or talk about those things.)..

Last night’s dinner.. and a silly catering description of the plate in hopes of getting bonus drool points because my plating skills and food pics are lackluster.

Veg-heavy but not entirely vegetarian. ‘Pegan?’ (Paleo meets vegan) I do eat some dairy but very little, can’t decide if it affects my skin or not.

‘Wild-caught Salmon and roasted Italian Squash spears atop a chickpea-walnut hummus. Sauced with Minted Basil & Spring Pea Pesto and preserved lemon couli, toasted pounded walnuts and finished with oven-crisped fennel.

Side salad of baby spinach, shaved fresh fennel, cubed jicama and globe radish, in minted tahini dressing with a cilantro-shallot drizzle.’

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

I LOVE THE WAY YOU EAT!!!! Plus, those cherry pics you posted have inspired me to get some cherries IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner.

Wow this looks AMAZING!!! I forgot how much I love fennel, but this reminded me that I need to buy some lol.

You're the BEST, period. o:)<3o:) So looking forward to more of your posts. I also LOVE the title of this thread. Produce is so everything!

Now I’m gonna have to haunt the fun markets to find pretty stuff to show you!! ❤️

YAY and super YAY for the "fun" market hunting AND for more pretty stuff to show me/us. What I want to know is your posting pics of what you're eating is helping a lot of people (including lil ole me) try and make new things--Thanks again. o:)<3o:)
  • Kandyhar
    Kandyhar Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Following
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

-go to farmers markets
    -is good on a grill
    &

sorta just appears.

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

YAY and super YAY for the "fun" market hunting AND for more pretty stuff to show me/us. What I want to know is your posting pics of what you're eating is helping a lot of people (including lil ole me) try and make new things--Thanks again. o:)<3o:)

Oops... I meant "What I want YOU to know"...duh!
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Right now: roasted butternut squash with real butter, salt and pepper, and curry. On the side of a garlic-seasoned chicken breast or pork chop.
  • purplefizzy
    edited June 2019
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg

So I am just going to be my usual *kitten* here and just add.... "you overcooked your salmon, there is no need for this fish to die twice" :) but you know me ;)

Dude. You are SO right. I freaking killed it because I was distracted. It was borderline awful, what I like to call ‘cat food.’ I was SO MAD at myself. I like it semi-transparent in the center. This salmon was ‘fuel food’ and I only ate it because protein.

I was crazy pissed at myself because all of the other elements were on point, and then I butchered the star of the show. Oh well. Good reminder to NOT try to do too much stuff whilst cooking the salmon!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options

Dude. You are SO right. I freaking killed it because I was distracted. It was borderline awful, what I like to call ‘cat food.’ I was SO MAD at myself. I like it semi-transparent in the center. This salmon was ‘fuel food’ and I only ate it because protein.

I was crazy pissed at myself because all of the other elements were on point, and then I butchered the star of the show. Oh well. Good reminder to NOT try to do too much stuff whilst cooking the salmon!

I overcooked my salmon Sunday night too. Like you, I was trying to do too much and lost track of how long it was under the broiler. I was SO SO SO angry. Especially since I don't buy Salmon all that often due to costs and those were my last 2 fillets for the time being. Ugh.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Another meatless Monday burger stack. Not shown the huge tub where the rest of the salad resides haha. n157a6u9kv0r.jpg

Thank you for mentioning the ‘rest of the tub’ because that’s my life :)

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    oo2y8aslcb7b.jpg
    Last night's dinner: stuffed roasted eggplant smothered in a souffle omelet with yellow and red bell peppers, sausage, roasted okra, and homemade salsa (which is just roasted roma tomatoes and onion blitzed in the blender). Not pictured is a bowl of baby spinach. The version I made for my daughter has broccoli instead of okra.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    oo2y8aslcb7b.jpg
    Last night's dinner: stuffed roasted eggplant smothered in a souffle omelet with yellow and red bell peppers, sausage, roasted okra, and homemade salsa (which is just roasted roma tomatoes and onion blitzed in the blender). Not pictured is a bowl of baby spinach. The version I made for my daughter has broccoli instead of okra.

Yum, that sounds and looks so good!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    I have been trying to find interesting low carb side options for my husband who has diabetes. He is trying to lose weight and lower his blood sugar levels. I have managed to get him to eat some new vegetables and he has even grudgingly admitted that some are pretty tasty. I, on the other hand, would cheerfully eat my body weight in veggies every day. The biggest surprise has been roasted cauliflower. We have always enjoyed it (usually steamed or boiled), but Sunday night I roasted it with curry spices and it was delicious. My daughter complained that she didn't get enough. Tonight I did it with herbs and sprinkled it with fresh parmesan when it was done. I tried a couple of pieces then my daughter and son swooped in and emptied the dish after I had given my husband some. I may convince them to try some new veggies yet and enjoy them. I am inspired by this thread. Thanks everyone.

YES to roasting! High heat brings out the sexy in vegetables. The sugars carmelize, sweetness is enhanced, and they just SHINE. I eat all of my veg either roasted or raw.

Seasonings change everything- learn which herbs you like fresh, which you appreciate dried. Try amazing vinegars and oils. Get good tahini!!

I’m so excited you got non-veg lovers to appreciate veg! Well done! I consider it a life mission.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    swirlybee wrote: »
    oo2y8aslcb7b.jpg

Yum, that sounds and looks so good!

Wow. I would totally eat that, and that’s not always something I can say. That looks delish.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    One way to cook veg is to cook Indian food. My bf is Indian and has turn me into a curry and all-things Indian lover :). People don’t notice that the dish doesn’t have meat because there’s so much flavor.

A couple things to add protein to those types of dishes is when they call for cream change that to a Greek yogurt, also adding nuts and eggs depending on the fish. He also makes this Lentil soup that he says it high protein; I’m not sure.

Good luck to you :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    linsey0689 wrote: »
    One way to cook veg is to cook Indian food. My bf is Indian and has turn me into a curry and all-things Indian lover :). People don’t notice that the dish doesn’t have meat because there’s so much flavor.

A couple things to add protein to those types of dishes is when they call for cream change that to a Greek yogurt, also adding nuts and eggs depending on the fish. He also makes this Lentil soup that he says it high protein; I’m not sure.

Good luck to you :)

Whats wrong with meat?

It compliments my plants so well! 😉

• purplefizzy
    Options
    Warning. Seriously ugly but delish ‘comfort food’ fizzy style.

fcvgqesldjo3.jpeg

Salad:
    Spinach, shaved fennel, cucumber, snap peas, flat leaf parsley, mint, scallions.
    Smoked salmon minced and tossed in. 4 glorious oz.
    Dressed in tahini-mint-garlic-lemon dressing.
    Roasted kabocha and avocado on top, bits of leftover sauces. (Preserved Meyer lemon, an herby cilantro red wine vinegar ‘disaster sauce.’)
    Dehydrated onion chips (Costco, an old weakness) on top for crunch.

Yeah. That’s a mixing bowl. Not the largest one but I’m totally familiar with the Big Daddy Bowl too. This was Mama Bear Bowl.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

-go to farmers markets
    -is good on a grill
    &

sorta just appears.

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

Had to think about this.... First... wait... I don't have to cook? Someone else makes meals. Second, grew up with a 110lb Blue Nose named Ruby. She was the runt of the litter my cousin raised for wild hog hunting. Markets? My local produce monger knows me by name. Grills.... you have to be more specific. Gas, electric, charcoal, or wood. Does grilling also encompass knowing how to use a smoker? Produce? I eat atleast 4lbs or more a day. If you include potatoes. Do avacodos count? Climb mountains? Well, I like to hike. Lol Third, have never been on Tender. Didn't know what it was until last year. Was always wondering what people meant by swipe left. Lol

On a side note that pertains to produce. They just opened up a mushroom farm growing fresh Shitake! Getting fresh Shitake for $1.99 u.s. a pound! Oh happy days!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Warning. Seriously ugly but delish ‘comfort food’ fizzy style.

Salad:
    Spinach, shaved fennel, cucumber, snap peas, flat leaf parsley, mint, scallions.
    Smoked salmon minced and tossed in. 4 glorious oz.
    Dressed in tahini-mint-garlic-lemon dressing.
    Roasted kabocha and avocado on top, bits of leftover sauces. (Preserved Meyer lemon, an herby cilantro red wine vinegar ‘disaster sauce.’)
    Dehydrated onion chips (Costco, an old weakness) on top for crunch.

Yeah. That’s a mixing bowl. Not the largest one but I’m totally familiar with the Big Daddy Bowl too. This was Mama Bear Bowl.

I enjoy not looking like a savage eating out my big mixing bowl, so I plate myself a portion of the salad, and then I go back and help myself to another 4 servings or so, looking like a savage and grinning lol ;)

I’m not sure it’s even possible for me to not look like a savage.
    Somehow I ALWAYS do something that reveals my farm kid roots. It doesn’t matter how many forks are on the table or how fancy the frock.

I feel like I have the insider secret to your adhering like a champ to both the principles of volume eating AND photogenic food. Side tub o salad for the win.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Had to think about this.... First... wait... I don't have to cook? Someone else makes meals. Second, grew up with a 110lb Blue Nose named Ruby. She was the runt of the litter my cousin raised for wild hog hunting. Markets? My local produce monger knows me by name. Grills.... you have to be more specific. Gas, electric, charcoal, or wood. Does grilling also encompass knowing how to use a smoker? Produce? I eat atleast 4lbs or more a day. If you include potatoes. Do avacodos count? Climb mountains? Well, I like to hike. Lol Third, have never been on Tender. Didn't know what it was until last year. Was always wondering what people meant by swipe left. Lol

On a side note that pertains to produce. They just opened up a mushroom farm growing fresh Shitake! Getting fresh Shitake for $1.99 u.s. a pound! Oh happy days!

But did y’all EAT the hogs?
    Is that a thing?
    We raised pigs one year... I’ve heard wild hogs are super ornery.

On topic:
    This weekend’s mission is to try the new ‘plant based’ egg product in stores. ‘Just egg’ from mung beans. Gonna make a plant frittata.
    ubbg7n6gclw9.png

Honestly, I’m not huge into eggs except poached, although I appreciate them nutritionally.
    But I have a dogged desire to always try everything once, maybe twice. Just, you know. For science.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

But did y’all EAT the hogs?
    Is that a thing?
    We raised pigs one year... I’ve heard wild hogs are super ornery.

On topic:
    This weekend’s mission is to try the new ‘plant based’ egg product in stores. ‘Just egg’ from mung beans. Gonna make a plant frittata.
    ubbg7n6gclw9.png

Honestly, I’m not huge into eggs except poached, although I appreciate them nutritionally.
    But I have a dogged desire to always try everything once, maybe twice. Just, you know. For science.

Well ma'am, I was not into dog running. I still hunted/tracked. I ate everything I killed. Yes, hogs can be quite nasty. Sows with piglets are the worst.