For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Farmers Market Tuesday!

Haul:
    -Flowers. Many many flowers. (Cheap therapy. Slow post surgery stuff is getting me down. Flowers help.)
    -two heads cauliflower (yellow cauli - really into the cauliflower lately. Again. One has been deeply roasted, will make a faux hummus thing with it inspired by a recent ‘Eating Well’ article. The other will be steamed till creamy and blended and used as a sauce base. Probably.)
    -herbs. Mint, basil, what I was sold as ‘dill’ but may in fact by wild fennel (I’m not great at differentiation.)
    -fennel bulb

Flowers pictured. (Do they count as produce if I got them from FM and feel they are delicious??)

The gladiolus were from a big box store. (6$ worth. Ten stems)
    Added 2 bunches Canterbury bells and one batch notsurewhat from FM, 9$ total.
    Complete bouquet for $15, will last almost 2 weeks.
    Giant and lush and waaaaaaay cheaper than therapy.
  • purplefizzy
    edited May 2019
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    @purplefizzy Dont steam it. Again.... trust me :)
    - cut out the core from the bottom by angling your knife towards the middle so that the head still stays intact
    - spray the whole thing with oil and rub salt + pepper + curry all over
    - wrap the head in foil and do it so that the "closure" is on the bottom of the head
    - place into a 425F oven for 45 minutes
    - remove from the oven, remove the foil (now you know why the closure should be on the bottom, and place back into the oven for another 15 minutes so that the outside gets charred
    - slice into wedges and drizzle with some tahini

*kitten*.... now I will be picking up a cauliflower on the way home. You inspired me lol :)

Likewise!
    Pre-slicing/tahini drizzle.
    Will plate with:
    -mandolin-shredded green sweet cabbage and fennel, on a bed of ‘hummus’ made my way (food processor: chickpeas, frozen Meyer lemon juice/zest cubes, pink salt, ‘everyday’ seasoning from TJ’s, handful of pinenuts. Whipped till creamy. Add garlic. Whip more.)
    -pile of shredded pulled pork (from freezer, batch cooked with pan-sauce reduction.)

pb4w3atfwrsr.jpeg

• purplefizzy
    Options
    Plant based life. Yeap this also includes my idea of the meatless burger. Much easier that you think. I like to simplify my life any way I can. For size, this is. 13" dinner plate.

e02j5ygvc96a.jpg

Please please can you spill details:
    Ingredients?
    Any shortcuts - are those pickled onions made in batches?
    Type of cheese?

Please and thank you.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Plant based life. Yeap this also includes my idea of the meatless burger. Much easier that you think. I like to simplify my life any way I can. For size, this is. 13" dinner plate.

e02j5ygvc96a.jpg

Ingredients?
    Type of cheese?

Please and thank you.

Pick up:
    - mushrooms
    - onion
    - Yves veggie burgers
    - Masadaam cheese (or any cheese)
    - broccoli
    - labneh or greek yogurt
    - arugula
    - tahini
    - harissa
    - pickled red cabbage
    - pickled cucumber
    - tomato
    - relish
    - ketchup

Spices:
    - salt, pepper, smoked paprika, zataar, sumac, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder.

Do:
    - take your veggie burgers (I used 2 because 200cal and 26g protein) and crumble / mash with a fork in a bowl
    - saute mushrooms and onion until soft and add to the burger mix
    - splash in worcestershire, salt, pepper, 1tsp each cumin, garlic, paprika
    - mash it all together and form a patty, wrap in plastic wrap and place into a freezer until you are ready to cook
    - spread labneh on a bottom of your plate and mix in harissa, zataar and sprinkle with sumac
    - roast your broccoli and when half done cook your burger in a pan (I placed my on the grill and when flipping it started to fall apart, not because it was dry by because it was huge). So I flipped it onto a flat grill sheet.
    - top labneh with arugula, place burger on top, toppings as you see them, mix roasted broccoli with tahini and spread all around, devour.

Why did I do this and not the beyond meat burger? Simple, for me 2 beyond meat patties are $8 and each is 115g for 270cal and 22g protein. Texture is still not beef not matter what anyone says. Yves burgers are $6 for 8 patties, each patty is 100g, 100cal and 13g protein. Saving money, adding volume and getting more protein.

One gazillion thank yous. I’m making this on the weekend. I LOVE a shortcut and every ingredient you listed I have, and love - except the veggie patties. I’ve seen them locally. So stoked to make this!
    I read cooking mags sometimes and get inspired but never can actually make the recipes because they have some key ingredient I don’t eat, or seem silly in terms of how they spend macros, or seem ‘flat’ flavor wise. You create with the explosive flavor combinations that I love.
    Thanks again for taking the time to detail it.
    I’m ON it and will report back :)
  • NSthingoldline
    NSthingoldline Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just tried fiddlehead ferns for the first time....sooooooooooo goooooooooood! :smile:
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @purplefizzy Dont steam it. Again.... trust me :)
    - cut out the core from the bottom by angling your knife towards the middle so that the head still stays intact
    - spray the whole thing with oil and rub salt + pepper + curry all over
    - wrap the head in foil and do it so that the "closure" is on the bottom of the head
    - place into a 425F oven for 45 minutes
    - remove from the oven, remove the foil (now you know why the closure should be on the bottom, and place back into the oven for another 15 minutes so that the outside gets charred
    - slice into wedges and drizzle with some tahini

*kitten*.... now I will be picking up a cauliflower on the way home. You inspired me lol :)

Likewise!
    Pre-slicing/tahini drizzle.
    Will plate with:
    -mandolin-shredded green sweet cabbage and fennel, on a bed of ‘hummus’ made my way (food processor: chickpeas, frozen Meyer lemon juice/zest cubes, pink salt, ‘everyday’ seasoning from TJ’s, handful of pinenuts. Whipped till creamy. Add garlic. Whip more.)
    -pile of shredded pulled pork (from freezer, batch cooked with pan-sauce reduction.)

pb4w3atfwrsr.jpeg

Now I have a craving for roasted cauliflower! BEAUTIFUL!

e02j5ygvc96a.jpg

Ingredients?
    Type of cheese?

Please and thank you.

Pick up:
    - mushrooms
    - onion
    - Yves veggie burgers
    - Masadaam cheese (or any cheese)
    - broccoli
    - labneh or greek yogurt
    - arugula
    - tahini
    - harissa
    - pickled red cabbage
    - pickled cucumber
    - tomato
    - relish
    - ketchup

Spices:
    - salt, pepper, smoked paprika, zataar, sumac, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder.

Do:
    - take your veggie burgers (I used 2 because 200cal and 26g protein) and crumble / mash with a fork in a bowl
    - saute mushrooms and onion until soft and add to the burger mix
    - splash in worcestershire, salt, pepper, 1tsp each cumin, garlic, paprika
    - mash it all together and form a patty, wrap in plastic wrap and place into a freezer until you are ready to cook
    - spread labneh on a bottom of your plate and mix in harissa, zataar and sprinkle with sumac
    - roast your broccoli and when half done cook your burger in a pan (I placed my on the grill and when flipping it started to fall apart, not because it was dry by because it was huge). So I flipped it onto a flat grill sheet.
    - top labneh with arugula, place burger on top, toppings as you see them, mix roasted broccoli with tahini and spread all around, devour.

Why did I do this and not the beyond meat burger? Simple, for me 2 beyond meat patties are $8 and each is 115g for 270cal and 22g protein. Texture is still not beef not matter what anyone says. Yves burgers are $6 for 8 patties, each patty is 100g, 100cal and 13g protein. Saving money, adding volume and getting more protein.

This looks delicious! I have never thought of using the patties to crumble and make my own (WAY BETTER) gigantic patty. I have to try this.

z8lgjm48kbtm.jpg
    Fresh radishes picked from the garden. Store bought just doesn't compare.

Below is from last weekend when I roasted radishes in the oven. Been on a radish kick lately.

zr6etopyneo3.png
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    z8lgjm48kbtm.jpg
    Fresh radishes picked from the garden. Store bought just doesn't compare.

Those are beautiful. I love when nature gives edible jewels!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm enjoying spring produce from the farmers market. This week I got more sorrel (still had some watercress and kale), some boston lettuce, breakfast radishes, more asparagus, sunchokes, and rhubarb. I have some spring onions left from last week, one green tomato, and my own herbs growing at home, as well as misc veg from the supermarket.

With perfect timing, I was then reminded of the 101cookbooks blog, which I used to recommend all the time but hadn't been to for a while, and found this lovely selection of recipe ideas: https://www.101cookbooks.com/15-inspiring-spring-recipes/

I think I'm going to do something based on the paella recipe tonight.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Farmers market here start in late June. I cannot wait for locally grown veggies and fruit, even though it costs way more than imported stuff. Weird that its cheaper to bring stuff in from across the globe than but whats grown here in season.

Same here - outdoor Farmers' Markets opening soon. I've always thought the same.... seems crazy that non-local produce would be cheaper! For the rest of the year, I find that "Farmers' Market" storefronts around here sell produce much cheaper than the grocery stores do, thank goodness!

Having a veggie garden of my own every summer (Just got mine planted here in NJ over Mother's Day weekend), I realize how incredibly hard it is to get a good "crop," small as it may be, and I have MAD respect for local farmers.

On another note, I've loved reading your, and all of the posts on this thread! I just found it the other day. I have completely changed the way I eat in the last year and a half, since I got onto MFP. I eat everything in moderation, except veggies... which I load up on. And you guys have all given such good ideas and tips to change things up and keep them interesting. I'm inspired!! Thanks everyone!!
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a garden so love to try new varieties of vegetables like kholrabi or arugula. Anything that's fresh from the garden tastes so much better!
    I love roasting veggies particularly if I already have the grill or oven going. Yams, Carrots and beets tossed with a bit of olive oil and herbs roasted. Delicious.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    suzyjmcd2 wrote: »
    Farmers market here start in late June. I cannot wait for locally grown veggies and fruit, even though it costs way more than imported stuff. Weird that its cheaper to bring stuff in from across the globe than but whats grown here in season.

Same here - outdoor Farmers' Markets opening soon. I've always thought the same.... seems crazy that non-local produce would be cheaper! For the rest of the year, I find that "Farmers' Market" storefronts around here sell produce much cheaper than the grocery stores do, thank goodness!

Having a veggie garden of my own every summer (Just got mine planted here in NJ over Mother's Day weekend), I realize how incredibly hard it is to get a good "crop," small as it may be, and I have MAD respect for local farmers.

On another note, I've loved reading your, and all of the posts on this thread! I just found it the other day. I have completely changed the way I eat in the last year and a half, since I got onto MFP. I eat everything in moderation, except veggies... which I load up on. And you guys have all given such good ideas and tips to change things up and keep them interesting. I'm inspired!! Thanks everyone!!

I agree! I have seen so many veggies on here and ways to cook them that I never thought about. I tried okra for the first time last week and loved it ! I had always thought of it as gross and slimy.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Farmers market here just opened this weekend too. Got Fresh strawberries, giant zucchini, lettuce, blueberries, and carrots! So much cheaper than the store. Thank goodness because I go through 8-10lb strawberry per week and the store charges 3-5 per lb! 84fhuzf32mru.jpeg
  • purplefizzy
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Farmers market here just opened this weekend too. Got Fresh strawberries, giant zucchini, lettuce, blueberries, and carrots! So much cheaper than the store. Thank goodness because I go through 8-10lb strawberry per week and the store charges 3-5 per lb! 84fhuzf32mru.jpeg

Can you please describe what is happening on that plate?
    One of the low carb wraps you like (remind me brand?) with berries and... is that chocolate PB2?

Wait, found it in volume thread :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

One of the low carb wraps you like (remind me brand?) with berries and... is that chocolate PB2?

Yes PB2 ! Tumaros sourdough wraps. They are just awesome! Doesn’t look too pretty, but it sure tastes incredible 😂😊! Sometimes I even warm it up a bit in the winter months.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    We don't have strawberries or blueberries yet. I'm hoping this coming weekend for strawberries, as they are normally early June. Blueberries will take longer.

My favorite farmers market is open all year -- inside every other week until May and then outside weekly, but what's available is going to depend on what's in season. I get a farm share, but it's not starting until June 13, sigh.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

Yes PB2 ! Tumaros sourdough wraps. They are just awesome! Doesn’t look too pretty, but it sure tastes incredible 😂😊! Sometimes I even warm it up a bit in the winter months.

Again, not in Canada. Also, nothing even similar in Canada.
    Actually no, a Flatout wrap will come close.

I hope they come to CA because they are 10x better and double the size of the 90 calorie flat out wraps. If you ever come across the border, definitely a must try! Probably one of my favorite products of all time.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    xdwcxs3wvb91.jpeg
    rxb6ir7wzqj8.jpeg

The countertop of produce and goodies is what I DID buy at FM. The cherries I wanted to buy but held off. I cannot be trusted with cherries by myself. I need someone around to prevent me from eating them all and then curling up in a ball with a stomach ache like a 5 year old.

Persian cukes were super fresh, scored some beautiful radishes too.
    A little early for peaches but I’m optimistic- the apricots are perfect, rosy blush.
    Plums I will grill, and serve over arugula with grilled chicken (white balsamic honey vinegar from the fancy local place, my grandma gifts me a bunch on holidays. It’s my favorite but WAY too spendy for me.)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    @purplefizzy I see you keep ginger on the counter. Why not freeze it whole? So much easier to grate into things.

Don’t laugh. That’s about two days worth of ginger for me.
    I use a TON of it in gallons of fresh ginger tea and in homemade Golden Mylk (with all of my witch stuff, mushrooms and adaptogen herbs.) I’m fighting inflammation from the surgeries and it helps. Also, I just love ginger. I break off chunks and just chew on it.

Cooking ginger is in freezer and fridge. I whiz a bunch of it in processor (washed well, skin and all) to a rough grate, then store it in mason jars in fridge (immediate use) and freezer if it was a huge batch.

I go in big herb/root phases. Few years ago it was horseradish root in everything. Including teas. These days it’s the anti inflammatory stuff because I gave up my ‘vitamin I’ (ibuprofen) habit so my surgical pins can scar properly.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    @just_Tomek
    I’m still gonna make your veggie burger upgrade. I just keep getting distracted by cauliflower. I’ve roasted one every day now for like a week.
    It’s also good with the Greek yogurt-zatar mix :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    My local produce monger is basically a CRACK dealer. I go in atleast 3 times a week. He is ALWAYS giving me FREE samples of the newest fruits and melons. Sees me coming a mile away! grrr! Lol