For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    44inil2boi1e.jpeg

Experimenting with semi-prepped fresh herb storage methods.

Mint (stemmed, washed, dried, stored in a paper towel ‘sleeping bag’ in glass) has been really successful. Had to suffer thru like 4 minutes of poorly shot YouTube vid to get the method, but like the results.

Cilantro & Italian parsley: lately I’ve been stemming it and storing it in masons. Experimenting with storing via the ‘mint method’ to compare results.

Dill has been keeping perfectly (plucked and shredded) in mason jars, so sticking with that.

Storing in jars of water defeats the purpose of partially prepping (stemming is the part I dread) so that method is out.

I got a suggestion once to store herbs in the freezer and remove right before use- tried that and rejected. Soggy bits of delicate herbs make me sad.

Open to hacks if you are a person who also cannot pre-chop most fresh stuff because the quality compromise breaks your heart.

I HATE this quality about myself. Life would be so much more efficient if I could meal prep salad stuff. I can do two days worth of most stuff. If it holds longer than that, I don’t enjoy it. And some stuff is same-day only (shaved fennel, sliced fruit.)

• purplefizzy
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Had to think about this.... First... wait... I don't have to cook? Someone else makes meals. Second, grew up with a 110lb Blue Nose named Ruby. She was the runt of the litter my cousin raised for wild hog hunting. Markets? My local produce monger knows me by name. Grills.... you have to be more specific. Gas, electric, charcoal, or wood. Does grilling also encompass knowing how to use a smoker? Produce? I eat atleast 4lbs or more a day. If you include potatoes. Do avacodos count? Climb mountains? Well, I like to hike. Lol Third, have never been on Tender. Didn't know what it was until last year. Was always wondering what people meant by swipe left. Lol

On a side note that pertains to produce. They just opened up a mushroom farm growing fresh Shitake! Getting fresh Shitake for $1.99 u.s. a pound! Oh happy days!

But did y’all EAT the hogs?
    Is that a thing?
    We raised pigs one year... I’ve heard wild hogs are super ornery.

On topic:
    This weekend’s mission is to try the new ‘plant based’ egg product in stores. ‘Just egg’ from mung beans. Gonna make a plant frittata.
    ubbg7n6gclw9.png

Honestly, I’m not huge into eggs except poached, although I appreciate them nutritionally.
    But I have a dogged desire to always try everything once, maybe twice. Just, you know. For science.

Well ma'am, I was not into dog running. I still hunted/tracked. I ate everything I killed. Yes, hogs can be quite nasty. Sows with piglets are the worst.

Dog running is delightful. I highly recommend it.
    Start feeling grumpy mid-run? Achy? Distracted?
    Look at the dog. Channel the joy. Explore together.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Happening right now. Cottage grilling with mommy. gpi9hwahet9e.jpg

Of course you have the beautiful skewers.
    Finishing with tahini drizzle?
    I blame you for the fact that I’m obsessed with tahini. I don’t remember being THIS into tahini before seeing it on your plates.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Lucky, lucky mommy!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Yum, looks delicious!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I just pick the herbs when I'm cooking -- they are growing on my back porch, which is very convenient to the kitchen.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I just pick the herbs when I'm cooking -- they are growing on my back porch, which is very convenient to the kitchen.

That's the smart way, but then there's my way- herbs scattered around my acre of land so I can scurry around once the cooking is underway, colander in hand, hoping the dish doesn't burn before I return with the seasoning.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Heh! I could see myself doing that (used to do something similar back when I grew them on a roof deck in my old condo), but this year I decided to build a couple of herb carts to have on my back porch (they are pretty and nice to have there when hanging out or eating outside too). The idea is to bring them into my sun room between the kitchen and back porch which has lots of light if I keep the blinds open and see if I can keep them alive during the winter. I bought a light to set up to help.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Heh! I could see myself doing that (used to do something similar back when I grew them on a roof deck in my old condo), but this year I decided to build a couple of herb carts to have on my back porch (they are pretty and nice to have there when hanging out or eating outside too). The idea is to bring them into my sun room between the kitchen and back porch which has lots of light if I keep the blinds open and see if I can keep them alive during the winter. I bought a light to set up to help.

Photo of this rig?
    Love the idea. My problem is nothing survives in the heat here. My cacti got sunburned... but I could maybe grow indoor with appropriately pretty situation.

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Ontario strawberries are here!! Bought some at the farmer's market Saturday then had to buy more at Fortinos today. Soooo sweeet!!
  • purplefizzy
    Options

Photo of this rig?
    Love the idea. My problem is nothing survives in the heat here. My cacti got sunburned... but I could maybe grow indoor with appropriately pretty situation.

Heh, of course they don't look their best now, as I've been away and need to harvest one of them, but here's an idea of the look. The building in the back is my garage -- tiny Chicago lot. Our issue this year has not been heat, but late spring and excessive rain.

gj6blutc6576.jpg
    sm65apawcc79.jpg

Ok, suitably inspired- thanks so much!!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Experimenting with semi-prepped fresh herb storage methods.

Mint (stemmed, washed, dried, stored in a paper towel ‘sleeping bag’ in glass) has been really successful. Had to suffer thru like 4 minutes of poorly shot YouTube vid to get the method, but like the results.

Cilantro & Italian parsley: lately I’ve been stemming it and storing it in masons. Experimenting with storing via the ‘mint method’ to compare results.

Dill has been keeping perfectly (plucked and shredded) in mason jars, so sticking with that.

Storing in jars of water defeats the purpose of partially prepping (stemming is the part I dread) so that method is out.

I got a suggestion once to store herbs in the freezer and remove right before use- tried that and rejected. Soggy bits of delicate herbs make me sad.

Open to hacks if you are a person who also cannot pre-chop most fresh stuff because the quality compromise breaks your heart.

I HATE this quality about myself. Life would be so much more efficient if I could meal prep salad stuff. I can do two days worth of most stuff. If it holds longer than that, I don’t enjoy it. And some stuff is same-day only (shaved fennel, sliced fruit.)

This is what I do and it seems to work.
    For cilantro, parsley, dill or basil. Bring it home, cut off the stems. Dump into my salad spinner (which took time to find one that works as it should and I love BTW) wash, rinse, repeat and spin. Cut up as I usually use them. Place into a plastic container lined with paper towel and into the fridge. Lasts a week easy. Wash the stems separately and freeze. I use the stems in smoothies or soup, stew for flavour.
    For mint, unless I am going to use within couple of days, I just use dried. Works the same if not better as fresh.

Ohhhhhh and tahini, do you even have to ask? My mom did not know what that was but she liked it and asked me to whip her up some so she can use at home.

I beg to differ with mint. Certain types of mint are meh. But, good fresh mint- it tastes like springtime. Like promise. I go thru an absurd amount of it.
  • purplefizzy
    edited June 2019
    Options
    sxtnlaz2hdow.jpeg

All the Greens Green herby salad, kabocha squash, avocado and tahini drizzle to top it.

Salad is:
    Baby spinach, shaved fennel, shaved purple cabbage, crumbled smoked tofu, sprouts (clover and micro greens), cucumber, snap pea, snow pea, herbs are fresh: mint, cilantro, dill, green onion.
    Tahini dressing.

Not pictured: the cottage cheese I will glob on top and ruin the look, or the steamed cabbage leaves I’ll use like wraps.

ETA: also has freshly toasted sesame seeds. My house smells sooo good.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    With you on good fresh mint. I just made my morning smoothie and added a bunch of fresh mint, and it's really adding to the taste.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    I love this thread, lots of great ideas! I'm crazy about produce, I eat at least half a plate for each meal plus a large salad at lunch with mixed veggies. I like herbs a lot too and grow some of the basic on my deck along with some vegetables. I'm not as fancy at cooking, guess I need to buy more ingredients to try some of these recipes! I've started buying veggies I've never cooked before. Yesterday I picked up a rutabaga for fun, I've never tasted one. It's from the cabbage family and I'm so-so on cabbage. I found a simple recipe for roasting it with carrots so I'll try that. I'm going to go through this thread for my future mystery to me vegetables!

One vegetable that may not have been mentioned is Armenian cucumbers. They're a cross between a melon and a cucumber and are light green, they're really good! You might find them as a snake cucumber or melon sold by farmers or stores that sell Asian vegetables. Don't buy the real big ones, they're woody and dry.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    frida001 wrote: »
    Yum! I'm learning so much from you all! Most of my veggies I eat as Armenian foods. One of my favorites is broad green beans sauteed with garlic and olive oil, then boiled with chopped fresh tomatoes. You can eat it cold or warm.

My Grandma used to make this and throw an egg in at the end. I haven't seen that idea in my Armenian cookbook though! My Grandma died young and recipes went to my aunt. I don't do any Armenian cooking aside of having pilaf and suberage, we have them on holidays. I'll have to look for the vegetable recipes.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I love this thread, lots of great ideas! I'm crazy about produce, I eat at least half a plate for each meal plus a large salad at lunch with mixed veggies. I like herbs a lot too and grow some of the basic on my deck along with some vegetables. I'm not as fancy at cooking, guess I need to buy more ingredients to try some of these recipes! I've started buying veggies I've never cooked before. Yesterday I picked up a rutabaga for fun, I've never tasted one. It's from the cabbage family and I'm so-so on cabbage. I found a simple recipe for roasting it with carrots so I'll try that. I'm going to go through this thread for my future mystery to me vegetables!

One vegetable that may not have been mentioned is Armenian cucumbers. They're a cross between a melon and a cucumber and are light green, they're really good! You might find them as a snake cucumber or melon sold by farmers or stores that sell Asian vegetables. Don't buy the real big ones, they're woody and dry.

Ooh, I’m gonna look for Armenian cukes/snake melon now! That I have not tried. Thanks!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh my lord............ yes :)

qtheh9533tw0.jpg

To quote Disturbed... "get down with that sickness!"
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh my lord............ yes :)

qtheh9533tw0.jpg

To quote Disturbed... "get down with that sickness!"

‘I’ll have what she’s having.’ - bonus points if you *are of the era* to get this quote ;)