For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    My local produce monger is basically a CRACK dealer. I go in atleast 3 times a week. He is ALWAYS giving me FREE samples of the newest fruits and melons. Sees me coming a mile away! grrr! Lol
    Samples, man. That’s how they get ya hooked.
    I cannot resist the pull of a slice of something offered at the tip of a pocket knife. Costco can shove their ravioli samples. I’ll take the heirloom tomato anyday.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Another gingerroot storage mode I like is peeling it and putting chunks in a jar of sherry (unsalted sherry ;) ) in the fridge. Keeps indefinitely, and later the sherry is nice to cook with, too.
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cooking ginger is in freezer and fridge. I whiz a bunch of it in processor (washed well, skin and all) to a rough grate, then store it in mason jars in fridge (immediate use) and freezer if it was a huge batch.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Another gingerroot storage mode I like is peeling it and putting chunks in a jar of sherry (unsalted sherry ;) ) in the fridge. Keeps indefinitely, and later the sherry is nice to cook with, too.

Oooo, these are brilliant. No dish deserves to be eaten without the benefit of ginger, but it's a pain to peel and cut every time I use some... I'm borrowing these tips, thanks!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    My local produce monger is basically a CRACK dealer. I go in atleast 3 times a week. He is ALWAYS giving me FREE samples of the newest fruits and melons. Sees me coming a mile away! grrr! Lol
    Samples, man. That’s how they get ya hooked.
    I cannot resist the pull of a slice of something offered at the tip of a pocket knife. Costco can shove their ravioli samples. I’ll take the heirloom tomato anyday.

Gave me a perfectly ripe Georgia peach in my bag today. Didn't say a word. When I went back later he was already bagging up the 2 lbs worth for me!
  • purplefizzy
    edited May 2019
    Options

Totally trying this! I’m interested in the ginger-flavored-sherry possibilities:)

Last year I changed my garlic habits. I’m gonna admit something. I used to buy the pre-minced, keep-forever, giant Costco jar of garlic because of the amount I use it in.

A good friend pointed out, in his words (funny, because it’s another crack reference) ‘I would rather see you mainline cocaine than use the floating garlic pebbles to ruin your cooking. They are equally shameful.’ He was, of course, giving me a hard time because all of my favorite people do. He also had a great point.

When I objected on the basis of convenience, he taught me a new garlic habit that changed my cooking game.

I now buy the giant bags of peeled cloves. (Did this once from whole heads. Spent hours peeling. Never again.)
    I whiz the entire bag into a rough chop in processor, then pack into mason jars. One jar -small- gets covered (above the level of the garlic) in OO. This one stays on the counter for daily use. I sorta pluck it from the OO as I use it, saving the flavored oil. I don’t obsess over the OO kcals as I use the garlic. (Cooking spray has fat cals too because who uses a 1/3 sec spray?? Plus I’m just not personally fat phobic. It tastes good) I do measure and roughly track the OO cals when I use the flavored oil. The oil keeps the garlic stable at shelf temp for a long while. If I turn out to use it slower than I think I will, I fridge this jar.

The other jar(s) go in freezer. When I need them I defrost, cover in OO, repeat process. Sometimes I scoop out straight frozen chunks. Depends on what I’m making.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Regarding the cauliflower, I dont blame you. Sucks that now around here it is very $$$ for some reason along with celery. Head of cauliflower is $5 and bunch of celery $7 lol
    And the ginger, raw... wow hahahaha :)

Cauli is insane here too. I scored a bunch at FM for $2/head but that was REALLY unusual. Even the Asian market is 4.99!!
    I did suck it up and buy Costco frozen cauli rice for blending applications because lb for lb it was actually cheaper.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options

Totally trying this! I’m interested in the ginger-flavored-sherry possibilities:)

Last year I changed my garlic habits. I’m gonna admit something. I used to buy the pre-minced, keep-forever, giant Costco jar of garlic because of the amount I use it in.

A good friend pointed out, in his words (funny, because it’s another crack reference) ‘I would rather see you mainline cocaine than use the floating garlic pebbles to ruin your cooking. They are equally shameful.’ He was, of course, giving me a hard time because all of my favorite people do. He also had a great point.

When I objected on the basis of convenience, he taught me a new garlic habit that changed my cooking game.

I now buy the giant bags of peeled cloves. (Did this once from whole heads. Spent hours peeling. Never again.)
    I whiz the entire bag into a rough chop in processor, then pack into mason jars. One jar -small- gets covered (above the level of the garlic) in OO. This one stays on the counter for daily use. I sorta pluck it from the OO as I use it, saving the flavored oil. I don’t obsess over the OO kcals as I use the garlic. (Cooking spray has fat cals too because who uses a 1/3 sec spray?? Plus I’m just not personally fat phobic. It tastes good) I do measure and roughly track the OO cals when I use the flavored oil. The oil keeps the garlic stable at shelf temp for a long while. If I turn out to use it slower than I think I will, I fridge this jar.

The other jar(s) go in freezer. When I need them I defrost, cover in OO, repeat process. Sometimes I scoop out straight frozen chunks. Depends on what I’m making.

I know it's a small risk, and I hate to be a buzzkill, but you know there's botulism risk with raw garlic in oil at room temp, right?

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uc_davis/uc_davis_garlic.pdf
  • purplefizzy
    Options

I know it's a small risk, and I hate to be a buzzkill, but you know there's botulism risk with raw garlic in oil at room temp, right?

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uc_davis/uc_davis_garlic.pdf

I do.
    There are a few areas of my life I live on the edge a little in..
    I’m also totally guilty of all kinds of counter pickles that are probably questionable.
    I mostly cook for just myself so I’m not playing garlic roulette with anyone else’s intestines.. and I’m freakishly hearty in constitution.;)
  • psychod787
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Inspired by ginger talk. I braised some of those fresh peaches with ginger and vanilla... no need to add sweetener.... 🤤
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    xdwcxs3wvb91.jpeg
    rxb6ir7wzqj8.jpeg

The countertop of produce and goodies is what I DID buy at FM. The cherries I wanted to buy but held off. I cannot be trusted with cherries by myself. I need someone around to prevent me from eating them all and then curling up in a ball with a stomach ache like a 5 year old.

Persian cukes were super fresh, scored some beautiful radishes too.
    A little early for peaches but I’m optimistic- the apricots are perfect, rosy blush.
    Plums I will grill, and serve over arugula with grilled chicken (white balsamic honey vinegar from the fancy local place, my grandma gifts me a bunch on holidays. It’s my favorite but WAY too spendy for me.)

I have absolutely nothing worthwhile to add to this thread except to say that all of your veggie pictures look sooo good! I've been on a serious veggie kick for a while now and can't get enough. Such low calories for a lot of food. In fact I haven't really eaten meat in over a month but I'm not vegetarian (I've been eating a lot of Quorn with my gargantuous salads). At the same time I go through bottles of Beano now like it's going out of style, lol.
  • psychod787
    Options
    xdwcxs3wvb91.jpeg
    rxb6ir7wzqj8.jpeg

The countertop of produce and goodies is what I DID buy at FM. The cherries I wanted to buy but held off. I cannot be trusted with cherries by myself. I need someone around to prevent me from eating them all and then curling up in a ball with a stomach ache like a 5 year old.

A little early for peaches but I’m optimistic- the apricots are perfect, rosy blush.
    Plums I will grill, and serve over arugula with grilled chicken (white balsamic honey vinegar from the fancy local place, my grandma gifts me a bunch on holidays. It’s my favorite but WAY too spendy for me.)

I have absolutely nothing worthwhile to add to this thread except to say that all of your veggie pictures look sooo good! I've been on a serious veggie kick for a while now and can't get enough. Such low calories for a lot of food. In fact I haven't really eaten meat in over a month but I'm not vegetarian (I've been eating a lot of Quorn with my gargantuous salads). At the same time I go through bottles of Beano now like it's going out of style, lol.

Strange, my gut has gotten used to the high fiber/ protein diet. I keep simethicone in the cabinet if I go a bit overboard, but after years of having horrid bowels, i will take gas and regular movements.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    xdwcxs3wvb91.jpeg
    rxb6ir7wzqj8.jpeg

Worthwhile is entirely subjective.
    What veg are you loving?
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Last night’s dinner.. and a silly catering description of the plate in hopes of getting bonus drool points because my plating skills and food pics are lackluster.

Veg-heavy but not entirely vegetarian. ‘Pegan?’ (Paleo meets vegan) I do eat some dairy but very little, can’t decide if it affects my skin or not.

‘Wild-caught Salmon and roasted Italian Squash spears atop a chickpea-walnut hummus. Sauced with Minted Basil & Spring Pea Pesto and preserved lemon couli, toasted pounded walnuts and finished with oven-crisped fennel.

Side salad of baby spinach, shaved fresh fennel, cubed jicama and globe radish, in minted tahini dressing with a cilantro-shallot drizzle.’

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Last night’s dinner.. and a silly catering description of the plate in hopes of getting bonus drool points because my plating skills and food pics are lackluster.

Veg-heavy but not entirely vegetarian. ‘Pegan?’ (Paleo meets vegan) I do eat some dairy but very little, can’t decide if it affects my skin or not.

‘Wild-caught Salmon and roasted Italian Squash spears atop a chickpea-walnut hummus. Sauced with Minted Basil & Spring Pea Pesto and preserved lemon couli, toasted pounded walnuts and finished with oven-crisped fennel.

Side salad of baby spinach, shaved fresh fennel, cubed jicama and globe radish, in minted tahini dressing with a cilantro-shallot drizzle.’

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

I LOVE THE WAY YOU EAT!!!! Plus, those cherry pics you posted have inspired me to get some cherries IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

I LOVE THE WAY YOU EAT!!!! Plus, those cherry pics you posted have inspired me to get some cherries IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner.

Wow this looks AMAZING!!! I forgot how much I love fennel, but this reminded me that I need to buy some lol.
  • psychod787
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @purplefizzy are you married? My kinda crazy! Lol.. that's a compliment btw...
  • purplefizzy
    Options

In real life, people are driven a little crazy by my ‘phases.’ My ex had two famous (totally legit) complaints:
    (Summer season) ‘can you NOT put my meat on salad? Why does everything have to be a salad with you?’
    (Winter season) ‘Could we NOT have a broth-or-soup based meal?’

He didn’t understand that those are my seasons, Salad and Soup. If you loosen up the categories and put enough roasted stuff in them, they encompass EVERYTHING.

In my dreams a Pitbull-friendly grownup that wants to:
    -go to farmers markets
    -is good on a grill
    -will climb mountains with me
    &
    -is food compatible [produce based but with a weakness for occasional KBB (served over.. of course... the shredded cabbage salad..)]

sorta just appears.
    Except I hate dating in the modern world (swiping isn’t my style and I resent the timesuck... I’d rather train or cook or talk about those things.)..

Sooo you guys are stuck with me :)

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

Wow this looks AMAZING!!! I forgot how much I love fennel, but this reminded me that I need to buy some lol.
    Thanks for the smile- needed it!!
    Come eat with me anytime @Noreenmarie1234 and @NewLIFEstyle4ME
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

In real life, people are driven a little crazy by my ‘phases.’ My ex had two famous (totally legit) complaints:
    (Summer season) ‘can you NOT put my meat on salad? Why does everything have to be a salad with you?’

He didn’t understand that those are my seasons, Salad and Soup. If you loosen up the categories and put enough roasted stuff in them, they encompass EVERYTHING.

-go to farmers markets
    -is good on a grill
    &
    -is food compatible [produce based but with a weakness for occasional KBB (served over.. of course... the shredded cabbage salad..)]

sorta just appears.
    Except I hate dating in the modern world (swiping isn’t my style and I resent the timesuck... I’d rather train or cook or talk about those things.)..

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

You're the BEST, period. o:)<3o:) So looking forward to more of your posts. I also LOVE the title of this thread. Produce is so everything!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options

-go to farmers markets
    -is good on a grill
    &

sorta just appears.

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

gosh...thought it was just my thing...I too have two eating seasons...winter/fall soup and spring/summer salad! Also, I'm with you on the Veg-heavy but not entirely vegetarian. ‘Pegan?’ (Paleo meets vegan) I do eat some dairy but very little, can’t decide if it affects my skin or not. I eat a little fish...love it but I'm picky with the quality, so it's pretty expensive...
    love your posts btw :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

-go to farmers markets
    -is good on a grill
    &

sorta just appears.

bbtuduq6312y.jpeg
    f6ja0grc871d.jpeg

gosh...thought it was just my thing...I too have two eating seasons...winter/fall soup and spring/summer salad! Also, I'm with you on the Veg-heavy but not entirely vegetarian. ‘Pegan?’ (Paleo meets vegan) I do eat some dairy but very little, can’t decide if it affects my skin or not. I eat a little fish...love it but I'm picky with the quality, so it's pretty expensive...
    love your posts btw :)

Thank you! It’s always nice to hear that I’m not alone on Team Salad N Soup.
    I love that ‘bowls’ are cropping up in restaurants - I have a super hard time eating out and it’s getting easier around here..
    So many years of ‘being the weird one’ when I ask for entree stuff served over ‘a bunch of whatever salad stuff you have.’
    I get some WEIRD looks at my fave Indian place when I nicely ask for a giant plate of lettuce to eat my curry over.
    At least burger joints are catching up and burger bowls are easier to come by... even grass fed!!

I’m particular about fish, too. I dream of finding a sushi joint that specializes in responsibly caught wild fish, will do cabbage rolls, and has gluten free soy sauce/Tamari. I realize I’m delusional;)