For the love of Produce...

Options
1158159160161162164»

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Went to the Farmers Market this morning and Strawberries were out! So were a ton of tomatoes. I grabbed some berries and cherry tomatoes along with some bok choy. Yum!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,664 Member
    Options
    I couldn't resist buying a pack of frozen cherries when I saw them at the green grocer. Besides clafoutis or English summer pudding any other ideas on what to do with them?
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Currently in Ikaria, Greece .. and have to say it’s foodie veggie lover heaven.

Just a mixture of simple grilled and sautéed vegetables. Bringing home a hoard of herbs. 🌿

kpn5gm76p0cm.jpeg
    d9gj91ohctgi.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    edited May 28
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I couldn't resist buying a pack of frozen cherries when I saw them at the green grocer. Besides clafoutis or English summer pudding any other ideas on what to do with them?

Tart cherries, or dark sweet cherries, or non-dark sweet cherries?

I'm not as sophisticated a cook as you are by far, but I do like cherries.

I've made (delicious) liqueur with fresh tart cherries, simple syrup and vodka (needs to age). That probably would work with frozen ones. Both the soaked cherries and the liqueur proper are good in various dessert uses, even if not one who drinks alcohol. Bonus: Keeps forever (AFAIK) on a cupboard shelf.

Lots of things can happen with either type of cherries as a sauce, i.e. thicken the juice with something like cornstarch, of course - whole or pureed. Cherry pie/tart, ice cream topping, cheesecake topping, etc.

It's simplistic, but I like frozen cherries (thawed/warm) in my oatmeal, or (still frozen or thawed) mixed with plain Greek yogurt and chocolate peanut butter powder.

Home made cherry ice cream, or chocolate cherry ice cream. Or sorbet. Cherry bars (like date bars). Cherry cobbler is classic.

There are cherry soup recipes. (Usually that's tart cherries, probably could use sweet ones similarly.) I made some a zillion years back, not sure where I got a recipe but no longer have it. There's a Hungarian type, IMU. Or fruit soup with other fruits.

Cherry vinaigrette salad dressing (pureed cherries).

Now I want cherries. :yum:
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    🍒 @acpgee - Cherry reduction for pork chops or duck breast?
    Cherry sorbet?
    I saw a recipe for Cherry blintzes that looked awesome!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,374 Member
    Options
    Cherry soup?

I'm intrigued.