Ann -- inquiring minds want to know.. pear? :open_mouth:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Scored this, for a treat:

c7qyob5lkfx1.jpg

@SafariGalNYC, slice of fresh jackfruit.

I should've included something identifiable, for scale. It's about 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter, and just under 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) thick.

Jackfruit are huge, like 10-20+ pounds (4.5-9+ kg). The local big produce market sells whole ones (!), and occasionally slices or wedges like this that are a more manageable size for my household of one. This one was especially fresh-looking. I like eating them fresh/raw (the yellowish oval bits, primarily).
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Scored this, for a treat:

c7qyob5lkfx1.jpg

@SafariGalNYC, slice of fresh jackfruit.

I should've included something identifiable, for scale. It's about 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter, and just under 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) thick.

Jackfruit are huge, like 10-20+ pounds (4.5-9+ kg). The local big produce market sells whole ones (!), and occasionally slices or wedges like this that are a more manageable size for my household of one. This one was especially fresh-looking. I like eating them fresh/raw (the yellowish oval bits, primarily).

Love it! I almost went the jackfruit route.. the photo looked like it could be a fruit tart lol with pears.

My local Asian food Mart has a ton of Jack fruit and Durian! 😱 I may have to get one! (Jack fruit not durian, I had that experience in SE Asia. 👃)

Looks great!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,707 Member
    Options
    Cambodian dessert of coconut custard cooked in a cleaned out butternut squash. Traditionally cooked in a steamer but I find a low microwave to do a good job.
    5aooloichwvh.jpeg

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,707 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have experience with cooking enoki mushrooms? The hubby came back with some today. I was planning to make potato gnocchi on Sunday and I thought to go the western route with a butter/garlic/mushroom sauce. Any other suggestions? Most of the recipes I google cook them asian style with garlic/soy.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,567 Member
    Options
    @VeryHungryCatepillar45

I never thought about doing a quick pickle on radish. I love making red onion quick pickle. I sometimes make a kimchi with daikon radish (with or without Napa cabbage). I bet watermelon radish would make a nice quick pickle, but I never thought about using the small spicy ones. Hmmm....
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,735 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    A ripe persimmon.
    fbba2h6rmano.jpeg
    7d6gh3hy0n51.jpeg

I looked persimmons, expecially soft dried y5m3r5629ldo.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    I always like seeing the Brussel Sprouts on a stalk. ☺️

I was trying to identify the whiteish root veggies next to them, there was no sign…

kscax5rkrlac.jpeg

• AnnPT77
    Options

I was trying to identify the whiteish root veggies next to them, there was no sign…

kscax5rkrlac.jpeg

Maybe jicama? I'd want to see the other end, though, because some root other root veg look similar, but the top/bottom would differ.
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - ahh maybe jicama! I was leaning towards rutabega hah

I immediately thought the MFP veggie-istas group :)
  • AnnPT77
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - ahh maybe jicama! I was leaning towards rutabega hah

I immediately thought the MFP veggie-istas group :)

Rutabaga was one of the other root veggies I thought of, actually. Some jicama are a little smoother, but the standard rutabaga (not all) would have some purple on one end, and might not be quite so tan, maybe more of a cream-y or white with a slight orange-y cast (but that could be the light or an effect of the photo).

ETA: This reminds me that I have a rutabaga in my fridge. I should eat it!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,567 Member
    Options

kscax5rkrlac.jpeg

Definitely jicama. It's been unavailable around here lately. So sad. Definitely NOT rutabaga. They are in season here, and I've been enjoying them. They are more oblong than flat; they have a smooth whitish skin rather than rough and brown. There's a chance it's celeriac. Usually though that has some little root things sticking off from it. It's been available here lately; maybe I should get some as an alternative to jicama.

I've really really been enjoying grated raw golden beets in my salads lately. So good. If I had some jicama, it would go in there too.